IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Gardeners' World with accompanying diazepambient music

let the gentle plant & tree worlds slowly immerse their way into your psyche, not the full pretentious zen but actual gardening & developing specific species & areas is fkn mellow & calms the mind

rage rage against the dying of the light, but in a cardigan & all weather jesus-creepers

Edited by cwmbrancity

1505129982_the-orville-fox.jpg

well, this was underwhelming.

what did everyone think of the second episode? not sure i'll be coming back to this show. i think for me i just can't get into any of the characters.

also don't think i'll be watching the deuce again. might give it one more try because i thought the second episode was just meh. also, maybe because i never watched the wire i don't have the love for david simon everyone else seems to have, but are people who are enjoying this enjoying it because they think the show is good or because of the creator? 

The new Ken Burns doco on the Vietnam war is absolutely amazing

^Can’t wait to watch that shit.

I'm interested in this. I haven't really followed Ken Burns' work closely.

he pans around pictures with music playing

flol.

I did watch an hour of it last night. Very accurate dr.

That being said. I was glued to the telly. The personal recounts were pretty damn amazing. I also like how it's balanced between interviews with Us Soldiers/reporters & Ex-Viet Cong soldiers and how they learned to attack American bases and fight them. Hell, one badass US general/or higher up was asked what he thought of the Viet Cong, he was like their the best soldiers I've ever seen & would like to have several hundred under his command. Cut to photos with explosions.

Ken Burns really fucked up with the jazz documentary though. He had too much input from Stanley Crouch and Wynton Marsalis and skipped over jazz fusion, bashed Bitches Brew, etc. I think those guys are afraid that if jazz doesn't have a prim and proper image, they won't be taken seriously as black intellectuals, so they try to rewrite history to make it all museum appropriate. And that's a nice way of putting it. But jazz was always dank and dirty as fuck, read Miles' autobiography.

the civil war one was legitimately important when it came out. it's very good and i remember watching it as a young teen and getting weirdly engrossed in it (cause i was usually playing video games etc) 

the jazz one is terrible and is ruined by wynton marsalis who is really annoying and has a very myopic view of jazz and a very large view of his own self-importance

loved the Civil War series, it really utilized the new medium of war photography in that period & the mass of portraits to another level, just the right balance

was lucky enough to see it before setting foot on US soil, ironically Virginia, so it educated a global audience on the roots, causes, locations, personalities, just the enormity of this buried giant in the collective psyche

thing about Ken Burns though is, he's never gonna drop some knowledge on apple trees, pruning & grafting new cuttings in time for winter/which binder is best etc,

think of the cardigans Ken, think of the cardigans

1505129982_the-orville-fox.jpg

well, this was underwhelming.

what did everyone think of the second episode? not sure i'll be coming back to this show. i think for me i just can't get into any of the characters.

also don't think i'll be watching the deuce again. might give it one more try because i thought the second episode was just meh. also, maybe because i never watched the wire i don't have the love for david simon everyone else seems to have, but are people who are enjoying this enjoying it because they think the show is good or because of the creator? 

i liked the second episode better? I'll probably keep watching it for a bit because it's a space show and on a different night than Trek, but I'm not wild about it. The only character I like so far is Worf. I mean Bortus.

Haven't tried The Deuce, might not for a while until I can run through a few episodes in a row like I did for Treme, which I loved. The Wire was good too, but again, couldn't get into any of the characters, whereas Treme episodes were all about character and "here's a twenty minute music video followed by a scene of a character going to the bank" which is way more in my wheelhouse.

Ken Burns really fucked up with the jazz documentary though. He had too much input from Stanley Crouch and Wynton Marsalis and skipped over jazz fusion, bashed Bitches Brew, etc. I think those guys are afraid that if jazz doesn't have a prim and proper image, they won't be taken seriously as black intellectuals, so they try to rewrite history to make it all museum appropriate. And that's a nice way of putting it. But jazz was always dank and dirty as fuck, read Miles' autobiography.

It's believed that the term originally referred to the kind of music you would hear in a bordello.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(word)#Association_with_sex