IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

rewatching sopranos. i don't remember the first season being this bad. it's trying so hard to be goodfellas. i can't remember when exactly this show found its footing (season three?). kinda rough...

Edited by zaphod

i mean, seriously. i work for minimum wage, if i go to eat food and spend £30, i tip £5. my net worth is less than 2000. we have had martin freeman, bill nye, and now star trek guy, each one worth at least multiple millions of net worth, and they cant even be arsed leaving a fucking fiver on the receipt plate. 

nope, service is the tits in our place. tonnes of waiting staff who are all pretty passionate about the wine, chefs who sometimes bring the food over and are happy to have a chat about it when its not too busy etc. celebrities just dont tip, from my minor experience with them. 

i dont expect everyone to automatically tip, btw, its just strange to me that a person with enough money in the bank for 25 people to live comfortable lifetimes, cant be bothered tapping a few extra numbers into a card machine when eating a nice meal. 

Edited by messiaen

if i had more social balls i would also never tip. this service tipping practice is just incredibly sleazy and obnoxious to me. the typical work arrangement in this industry where the actual wage is low and the tips are the bulk of your income forces the service provider to form some kind of fake short-term personal connection with the service receiver and to pretend to go out of the way for him to try to get a better tip instead of simply doing the job, and it's always extremely obvious and disguising. it's even worse with hotel services where the service providers will bluntly transmit all kinds signals to indicate that they want you to tip. makes me vomit at the thought of being at that position.

so basically it was chris who was doing you a great service. he was showing disregard for this awful tipping practice and by doing that he was trying to normalize non-tipping and proper working practices, and secondly, he was emphasizing to you that you've made very poor life choices to have ended up with such a job.

Edited by eugene

Does the rest of Europe tip? I've been told that you don't tip in Europe, so I also assumed England/UK was the same. Either way, Shatner is old enough to know by now...

i tip everywhere. taxis, fast food, restaurants. not shops though. while it doesnt suprise me that eugene doesnt, lots of people dont enjoy being an arsehole. 

interesting that cheffing doesnt cut the mustard when it comes to your standards of what an acceptable job is aswell. 

Edited by messiaen

nope, service is the tits in our place.

DO U WORK AT A HOOTERS???  :dadjoke:

But yeah, I'm all for getting rid of tipping as a social necessity. I don't do it unless I know the people make no cash per hour (most restaurants in the US) or I get actually outstanding service. Just expecting a tip for doing your job (taxi or the like?) fuck naw. Again, unless you're amazing. I've left tips for cleaning staff in hotel rooms when I left a mess....also I still feel bad for not tipping an Uber guy a few months ago because it was my first time using it and I thought you could tip through their app but my drunk ass couldn't figure out how at the time (or you just couldn't at all).

So fuck Shatner for not tipping if there's no reason for it. I bet he tips his hookers.

if i had more social balls i would also never tip. this service tipping practice is just incredibly sleazy and obnoxious to me. the typical work arrangement in this industry where the actual wage is low and the tips are the bulk of your income forces the service provider to form some kind of fake short-term personal connection with the service receiver and to pretend to go out of the way for him to try to get a better tip instead of simply doing the job, and it's always extremely obvious and disguising. it's even worse with hotel services where the service providers will bluntly transmit all kinds signals to indicate that they want you to tip. makes me vomit at the thought of being at that position.

so basically it was chris who was doing you a great service. he was showing disregard for this awful tipping practice and by doing that he was trying to normalize non-tipping and proper working practices, and secondly, he was emphasizing to you that you've made very poor life choices to have ended up with such a job.

Piers Morgan in da house.

1505129982_the-orville-fox.jpg

well, this was underwhelming.

what did everyone think of the second episode? not sure i'll be coming back to this show. i think for me i just can't get into any of the characters.

also don't think i'll be watching the deuce again. might give it one more try because i thought the second episode was just meh. also, maybe because i never watched the wire i don't have the love for david simon everyone else seems to have, but are people who are enjoying this enjoying it because they think the show is good or because of the creator? 

watched the 3rd episode and it was better but it's still just a (very expensive) spoof of, not only, star trek TNG but, also one of the episodes titled 'the outcast'

not sure whether this one was better because brannon braga was directing (he was a writer, producer and director on TNG and VOY) or whether it was just a very well done spoof. whatever the case: i guess i'll watch another one? fuuuuuuuuuuuu

rewatching Sense8

still pissed this got cancelled but at least we're getting a finale movie

I never saw the fuss about this, it was corny as all hell.

I tried to watch Narcos again for the 3rd time. I give up. All I'm getting from it is that it's a show for man-children who think they're a little clever for standard action movies but really just want to feel macho. I don't give a shit about any of the characters. Also about a quarter of the dialog is in Spanish and I need subtitles, which wouldn't be a deal breaker if the show was more interesting but since it's not, I don't really want to go to the effort of actually looking at the TV when I could be working on things while it's on in the background, so I don't follow the plot, then I look up and some dude is getting killed or the CIA are doing something nasty and I don't know why and I don't really care.

I tried to watch Narcos again for the 3rd time. I give up. All I'm getting from it is that it's a show for man-children who think they're a little clever for standard action movies but really just want to feel macho. I don't give a shit about any of the characters. Also about a quarter of the dialog is in Spanish and I need subtitles, which wouldn't be a deal breaker if the show was more interesting but since it's not, I don't really want to go to the effort of actually looking at the TV when I could be working on things while it's on in the background, so I don't follow the plot, then I look up and some dude is getting killed or the CIA are doing something nasty and I don't know why and I don't really care.

Yeah, was an alright series but I couldn't get properly attached to it. Once I was done with an ep of Twin Peaks/Breaking Bad/Fargo/any of the recent greats, I was frothing for the next instalment, but I never felt an urgency to watch the following episode of Narcos.

Enjoyed S1 & S2 for the simple reason of it feeding so much indecipherable Spanish into the subconscious, that i ended speaking gibberish made-up Español whenever possible, which was nice

The Vietnam War ep01 = mint!

Impressed by the depth of analysis of European colonialism which while obvious often gets overlooked in whats seen as a US foreign policy disaster, the extent of its savagery and greed, the fall-out during WWII and its immediate aftermath, the personal biography of H.C.M., the extent of his travels to the US & Europe searching for resolutions to independence which were always casually dismissed. The map work is a bit of personal fetish too, so the broader east Asian complexities as the Cold War took hold were given space & time to breath. Far more graphic than the sanitized "news" coverage of conflicts, where death and slaughter are masked by other agendas, it gives it so much emotional heft. 10/10, looking forward to more of these which is ideal as the seasons shift and it gets late increasingly early.