IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

rewatching Sense8

still pissed this got cancelled but at least we're getting a finale movie

I never saw the fuss about this, it was corny as all hell.

I get the criticism, but for me the earnestness was part of its charm. Also the fact that it was easily the most diverse, inclusive show ever made. It really found its footing by the end of the first season, but I mean, if you're not on board by the episode 4 multiethnic 4 Non Blondes karaoke montage or the episode 6 orgy, it's probably not a show for you.

After all this gritty bullshit and the state of the world today it was nice to have a show that celebrated the joyous, beautiful parts of humanity while also having the best action sequences ever put to television.

Also it's just pretty to look at - no weird tinting or color grading, the show is just gorgeous.

The Vietnam War ep01 = mint!

Impressed by the depth of analysis of European colonialism which while obvious often gets overlooked in whats seen as a US foreign policy disaster, the extent of its savagery and greed, the fall-out during WWII and its immediate aftermath, the personal biography of H.C.M., the extent of his travels to the US & Europe searching for resolutions to independence which were always casually dismissed. The map work is a bit of personal fetish too, so the broader east Asian complexities as the Cold War took hold were given space & time to breath. Far more graphic than the sanitized "news" coverage of conflicts, where death and slaughter are masked by other agendas, it gives it so much emotional heft. 10/10, looking forward to more of these which is ideal as the seasons shift and it gets late increasingly early.

Thanks this sounds way better / incomparable.

Has anyone watched Channel Zero? Is it terrible? I really need a new horror anthology series in my life.

Saw a couple episodes of One Mississippi and it seems like a decent slow burn kind of show. Also watched the first episode of The Tick and it looks like it could be good.

Second (or third? can't remember) episode of The Orville and it seems a bit better than that drag of a pilot episode. Still not sure what the fuck it is though, and that's irksome.

i tip everywhere. taxis, fast food, restaurants. not shops though. while it doesnt suprise me that eugene doesnt, lots of people dont enjoy being an arsehole. 

interesting that cheffing doesnt cut the mustard when it comes to your standards of what an acceptable job is aswell. 

If they paid people a living wage there would be no need. So for now if service is genuine i'll tip.

on the series tip..big little lies is terrible

if people made the best decisions we would probably have IDM jetpacked nanobots hovering around stuffing food right into people's mouths by now. and they wouldn't even ask for tips!

I'd slap the shit out of a nanobot, especially if it went for my face

So I finished the Vietnam War doco, I really enjoyed it, some amazing and touching interviews with people from both sides, and a generally good overview over important events both in country and at the home front. At times it felt like the scope was too wide and they just skimmed the surface, bringing up the same interviewees over and over, and a shitload of home front fluff. Yes, it's important to hear the side of mothers sitting around back home waiting for their sons, but when they continually kept interrupting important events in Vietnam by cutting to that all-American front porch and the acoustic guitar started playing it started feeling like parody.

This is a very fascinating war to me as it has produced a lot of good films I grew up with, it had so many incredibly crazy ingredients and is still the modern world's greatest post-colonialism blunder. I was just happy we got a documentary of this scope and production level, it felt long overdue. I would have liked more stories from the actual boots on the ground, and a wider variety of interviews. I missed more honest parts of "in country life", like the day-to-day of the mid and rear echelons, South vietnam and Saigon, and things like Radio First Termer.

I've watched documentaries from the N.Vietnamese side and nothing really surprised me as much as it disgusted me, it was pure slaughter. Some of the things that surprised me most was the incredibly disruptive and divisive effect this war had on American communities, and how much France's behavior decades prior was to blame. It was almost inevitable after Diem was installed. I also never got the feeling that Vietminh was a communist uprising in any sincere capacity, Ho Chi Minh based the Vietnamese declaration of independence directly on the American one and sent several pleas for aid to the US administration. There were some real clowns in office after JFK. The complete meaninglessness of it all from start to finish was almost overwhelming.

Now people are saying this production is all revisionist propaganda to save face after all these years, and maybe they're right. It's not certain Burns would be able to pull a more vitriolic documentary off and keep the sponsors. But I also felt like the S and N.Vietnamese side was shown in a way few people have seen, including me, and the documentary provided ample reason for why America is so divided today. It is maybe not anti-war in the best way, but it's still anti-war.

Edited by chim

how does it compare to fog of war

Fog of war is a candid retelling of politics by one figure of importance over what, an hour and a half? This is more than 10 hours of as many aspects as you can cram in about a decades-long war, it's hard to compare. I didn't know much about McNamara before seeing Fog of War and was impressed by his honesty. I'll say that this documentary made me hate him.

This is a very fascinating war to me as it has produced a lot of good films I grew up with,

totally, the upcoming war with north korea will do wonders to marvel franchise i feel, it's getting a bit stale and uninspired recently.

This is a very fascinating war to me as it has produced a lot of good films I grew up with,

totally, the upcoming war with north korea will do wonders to marvel franchise i feel, it's getting a bit stale and uninspired recently.

not sure if you're being caustic or just sarcastic, I knew it came off kinda wrong but I grew up with those films which sparked my interest in the war. I think I saw apocalypse now as early as 16. It'd have taken much longer otherwise, what teenager gives a fuck about atrocities a world away?

also don't think i'll be watching the deuce again. might give it one more try because i thought the second episode was just meh. also, maybe because i never watched the wire i don't have the love for david simon everyone else seems to have, but are people who are enjoying this enjoying it because they think the show is good or because of the creator? 

i think i'm done with this show

also don't think i'll be watching the deuce again. might give it one more try because i thought the second episode was just meh. also, maybe because i never watched the wire i don't have the love for david simon everyone else seems to have, but are people who are enjoying this enjoying it because they think the show is good or because of the creator? 

time to come back to star trek

time to drop the Deuce

Did anyone watch that new PKD show? Is it terrible?

Edited by Gocab

Did anyone watch that new PKD show? Is it terrible?

pretty much. it's really a misuse of sci-fi as a see it, they only use some (pretty exhausted by now) sci-fi-ish' concepts as a package to deliver some trite emotional punches. pretty much identical feel and structure for the first 3 episodes despite them having very different settings. is that pk dicks guy even good and it's the tv people's fault or is it another intra-watmm ultra overrated thing?

i'm really beginning to hate that idea of anthology series that seems to be picking up right now, still can't quite formulate properly why, but there's definitely something brewing.