IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

i remember watching xavier on tv in high school lol. what a great show. a year later i learned that a friend of mine actually did the mocap for xavier. so fucking hilarious. last episode is amazing. "I'm having our incest baby!" as he's shitting out purple ice cream. good stuff.

lol i also remember tivo'ing wonder showzen in middle school. grew up a lot watching that show. chauncey humping a box of mother nature's private parts after her sex change operation was great when i was in 7th grade lmao

Edited by dr lopez

ep5 of barry was pretty unnerving and not in a good way, reminded me of those family guy episodes where peter fights the chicken during the entire episode... and it was directed and written by bill hader which kinda disappointed me more than i already was... ep7 was class though ?

For those interested in watching Xavier, it's all available for free on adult swim.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/xavier-renegade-angel

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

i remember watching xavier on tv in high school lol. what a great show. a year later i learned that a friend of mine actually did the mocap for xavier. so fucking hilarious. last episode is amazing. "I'm having our incest baby!" as he's shitting out purple ice cream. good stuff.

omg that episode with his mom. My fav. episode off the top of my head is probably 'Vibracaust' S2E1. The one with the buddhist monks and the demon kid. and 'Chief Beef Loco' the one with the mexican gang. Maybe the most quotable episode in the show.

lol i also remember tivo'ing wonder showzen in middle school. grew up a lot watching that show. chauncey humping a box of mother nature's private parts after her sex change operation was great when i was in 7th grade lmao

precocious, lol. I don't know if my mind could have taken these shows in my impressionable years.

I am enjoying Chernobyl. Looks good and bleak, eerie scraping drone music, excellent cast - even though I only recognise a few actors. The meeting of Pripyat party officials in their bunker was very reminiscent of scenes in The Death of Stalin.

I just finished up 'kidding' with jim Carrey. If you liked The Truman Show or really any of his dramas, there's more of that here It basically seems to be going for 'Breaking Bad but with Mr. Rogers'. Which funnily enough was similar to BB's pitch of 'Turning Mr. Rogers into scarface.

A few weeks back I watched 'Mindhunter'. David Fincher directed it, and if you liked his film ''Zodiac' you'll probably like this show.

It's about how the FBI kinda restructured how they interpret the actions of serial killers and at least in the first season about trying to predict them which is kinda big brother. It's set in the 70s.

Edited by Brisbot

jesse pinkman's back and now is the time to start betting on how many 'bitches' we'll get from his this season. And awesome trailer. It looks and feels like a totally different show. At least based this.

Edited by Brisbot

7 hours ago, Brisbot said:

jesse pinkman's back and now is the time to start betting on how many 'bitches' we'll get from his this season. And awesome trailer. It looks and feels like a totally different show. At least based this.

I wonder what's up with the Breaking Bad movie, isn't he starring in that as well?

14 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I just finished up 'kidding' with jim Carrey. If you liked The Truman Show or really any of his dramas, there's more of that here It basically seems to be going for 'Breaking Bad but with Mr. Rogers'. Which funnily enough was similar to BB's pitch of 'Turning Mr. Rogers into scarface.

is it leaning more towards drama or comedy?

6 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I wonder what's up with the Breaking Bad movie, isn't he starring in that as well?

For sure.  I know they're already going ahead with it. It was confirmed a few months back and he's going to be the main focus of the movie. It kinda sucks that some of the main cast in BB since the end of the show have been in movies there were alright at best, and horrible at worst. Bryan has been in a few decent movies, but Aaron Paul took on bad role after bad role. just check out his RT page: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/aaron_paul

2 hours ago, melancholera said:

Mindhunter season 2 in August. That will be a binger for me.

Yep. I'm glad I didn't watch it till a few weeks ago, otherwise the wait would have been unbearable. 

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

is it leaning more towards drama or comedy?

It depends on the episode. Imho there's more comedy and drama in the first few episodes, then the plot switches up and it's more drama, then toward the end of the season it's more of a mix.  Though I'd say it's more drama than comedy on average.

As far as anime that are surprisingly good, Goblin Slayer. It's about a guy who hunts goblins in a world where there are dragons and demons etc, but the main character only wants to kill goblins. The whole series is an analogy about how some people are going to end up cleaning toilets or doing any kind of menial labor as society needs that role. It's also about how goblins are a menace but aren't regarded as important to kill as there are bigger monsters, and how society takes the menial stuff for granted.

The main issue with the show is the trope laden and kind of bland/shy main character. Which is probably the most popular anime trope i think.

Oh and the anime 'Sakamoto'. Kinda forgot about it, but it's seriously funny and worth watching. It's about a guy who's a perfect student basically and never does anything remotely embarrassing. If he falls over, he falls with style.

Edited by Brisbot

On 5/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, Brisbot said:

Also if you like Bojack Horseman you'd probably like Tuca and Bertie, which is a more surreal take on Bojack Horseman and not quite as depressing.

Thank for that, Brisbot, it was near perfect for me. I liked the visual style a lot and all the special effects and sounds and music. It was a very aesthetically pleasing show. I say near perfect because the drama was present but not overly deep like in Bojack, and it lacked some... depth maybe, I don't know. Although there are enough lifelike moments and little quirks and the humour is good. Ah fuck it, it's a perfect show. Thank you again.

By the way, I read a few negative comments concerning the SJW / feminism bs in relation to this show, and I must say I didn't feel it at all. It touches on feminism in a few episodes but very slightly and in a humorous way and I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Speaking of "Kidding", it's a fucking masterpiece and I'll leave it at that. Haven't watched anything that great in years.

Thing is, this show is in the details, I think. The cinematography, the acting, all the little nuances (like the scene where they showed just their feet while they're talking, fucking hell, there're so many scenes like that in this show that I just wanted to stand up and applause) and if you haven't watched other Michel Gondry films you probably wouldn't appreciate it that much. My wife thought it was a snoozer, whereas I was so invested in it, absorbing all the details I could see. 

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

Yep. I'm glad I didn't watch it till a few weeks ago, otherwise the wait would have been unbearable. 

it has been.

Mindhunter has been the only good series of the last few years. Change my mind

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lickneonlights said:

Thank for that, Brisbot, it was near perfect for me. I liked the visual style a lot and all the special effects and sounds and music. It was a very aesthetically pleasing show. I say near perfect because the drama was present but not overly deep like in Bojack, and it lacked some... depth maybe, I don't know. Although there are enough lifelike moments and little quirks and the humour is good. Ah fuck it, it's a perfect show. Thank you again.

By the way, I read a few negative comments concerning the SJW / feminism bs in relation to this show, and I must say I didn't feel it at all. It touches on feminism in a few episodes but very slightly and in a humorous way and I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Hey no problem. Now start watching the other things I recommended ;). At least try out 'Xavier: Renegade Angel'  The whole show is only about 3.5 hours long with 11 min episodes.

Bojack takes two or three seasons to get that depth, and you don't see the whole depth until season 4 where you finally piece together why he is the way he is

As far as Tuca and Berdie are concerned, I can understand why someone could like it better than bojack. It is aesthetically pleasing in a way bojack can't be due to the focus of the show. I noticed during the second watch of the show that in the more Bojack-like episodes toned down the craziness of the animation.

The feminism bit was done well and never became preachy. i don't think you should ever be preachy in any show about anything, and it made it's points by showing believable situations instead of having tons of exposition about it.

For Kidding, I can see why someone would really like it, and someone would dislike it. The cliffhanger at the end is great. He finally had his Walt to Heisenberg moment. I'm really curious to see how far they will want to push this. Maybe even to the point where he isn't redeemable after all:

Spoiler

I was sweating a little when they were about to light up a joint in that house jeff bought. That is definitely some kind of foreshadowing for a later season.

47 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

it has been.

Mindhunter has been the only good series of the last few years. Change my mind

Lol, that sounds about right. It's my favorite live action series that I watched this year. What did you like about it? spoiler:

Spoiler

I thought Holden's arc was very interesting. By the end you're wondering how much he's like the serial killers he is trying to understand. At least until the panic attack scene where he comes falling back down to earth. I also wonder if his GF was going to break up with him until he overanalyzed

From what I understand even though it is based on real life events, they're going to take story liberties and diverge from the real life material. Which makes sense because the serial killer who they were building up, Dennis Raider or something, wasn't caught until  the 2000s. Or they might just skip to 2000.

Edited by Brisbot
Putting quotes and spoilers in the same post confuses me

12 hours ago, Brisbot said:

At least try out 'Xavier: Renegade Angel'  The whole show is only about 3.5 hours long with 11 min episodes.

Yeah, watched it a few years ago. Some funny surreal ironic shit. Well, like most stuff on Adult Swim. 

Also a new episode of Chernobyl is out today. Fucking hell is this show grim but so well-shot. I'm so glad the Brits did it. We wouldn't have been able to make it so good, russian cinema sucks big time nowadays (and ukranian cinema is almost nonexistent). So I'm grateful I can watch it and it's not some cheesy low-brow documentary, but a beautifully shot and well executed horror story. I don't mind the british accents at all. It was a bit surreal though for a moment when they introduced Mikhail Gorbachev and he started speaking. 

Edited by Guest
ukraine

18 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

one of the best mini series' i've watched in a while. highly² recommended

Sounds like something to watch. I like the squared bit, it could become a kind of meme.