IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

On 5/26/2019 at 9:03 AM, Candiru said:

I tried watching the movie The Dark Crystal and had to stop after like 10 minutes because it was so wack

I have a childhood memory of sleeping through this.

7 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

I've been watching Altered Carbon on Netflix, fuck it's good so far! I really hope it doesn't jump the shark.

It does.

The rebooted Twilight Zone was... mixed for the most part - too many SJW-themed episodes (they took the fact the original TZ was topical and timely to the extreme), and the finale was cringy af. Hopefully they find their feet in the next series.

45 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

The rebooted Twilight Zone was... mixed for the most part - too many SJW-themed episodes (they took the fact the original TZ was topical and timely to the extreme), and the finale was cringy af. Hopefully they find their feet in the next series.

Conceptually, I don’t think that any of the episodes rang false - they only faltered here and there in execution (and in a clear failure to try to stretch 30min concepts to 60min episodes). Example being, Rewind could have been an all-time classic episode with a bit less dialog in the climax.

Unrelated: excited for the Chernobyl finale tonight. After the Game of Thrones disaster, it’s nice to be reminded that HBO can shit out great content at the drop of a hat.

What we do in the shadows - the series has strength. The bit when Matt Berry woke up in the animal sanctuary cage as human after being put there as a bat a few hours earlier was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. 

9 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

Conceptually, I don’t think that any of the episodes rang false - they only faltered here and there in execution (and in a clear failure to try to stretch 30min concepts to 60min episodes). Example being, Rewind could have been an all-time classic episode with a bit less dialog in the climax.

Unrelated: excited for the Chernobyl finale tonight. After the Game of Thrones disaster, it’s nice to be reminded that HBO can shit out great content at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it actually - faltered in execution. I'd rate the episodes as such:

1. The Comedian - 4/10
  2. Terror at 30,000 Feet - 6/10
  3. Replay - 7/10
  4. A. Traveler - 7/10
  5. The Wunderkind - 2/10 (this was a terrible episode - almost as bad as the finale)
  6. Six Degrees of Freedom - 8/10
  7. Not All Men - 6/10
  8. Point of Origin - 7/10
  9. The Blue Scorpion - 9/10 (my personal favourite)
  10. Blurryman - 0/10 (wtf)
  • Like 1

Watching the Strain. I like it, but keep feeling it might fall into the Hemlock Grove file of why the fuck did I watch that?

Tried watching Good Omens last night... meh. David Tennant is basically playing a demonic 10th Doctor and they ripped the opening bit straight from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the 1980's BBC TV drama, not the radio or god-awful movie they made a few years ago)

when-they-see-us-netflix-137046.jpg

i was very interested in this mini series because i had watched a documentary about this case some years ago but this is surprisingly not very good. it's very slow and seems convoluted in it's attempt at telling these kids story with painting the political climate that had a heavy hand in putting them in prison. for example: the show opens with the kids going to central park before the incident. why not start it in a way where we know who they are first so we feel invested in their story?

^^ if you mean mentioning the victim by her name no they do not. i believe she wanted and still wants to remain anonymous.

if you meant how she was attacked etc yes they mention that, including how she was a jogger that could run a certain distance under a certain time- which is why her partner thought it was strange when she didn't get back home after an hour or so (i think).

also, there is a scene where the main prosecutor uses the case to illustrate to the DA that the victim is one of a 300 victims that had been assaulted in new york city within the last year or so- she then refers to the kids as "animals". today the real prosecutor who handled the case resigned her post in various non profit organizations.

Decade coming to a close, and my fave 2010s series feel settled. S1 must have completed between January 2010-December 2019 (e.g. you can have Glee but no Parks & Rec). No mini-series (inc. belated returns like Top of the Lake & The Missing, nor Twin Peaks: The Return (more of a mini-series/S3)):

1. Game of Thrones (2011-19)
2. Treme (2010-13)
3. The Americans (2013-18)
4. Downton Abbey (2010-15)
5. Better Call Saul (2015-ongoing)
6. Boardwalk Empire (2010-14)
7. The Leftovers (2014-17)
8. Veep (2012-2019)
9. The Affair (2014-2019)
10. Louie (2010-15)

11. Rectify (2013-16)
12. Orange is the New Black (2013-19)
13. Girls (2012-17)
14. The Newsroom (2012-14)
15. House of Cards (2013-18)

HM: Rev. (2010-2013); Dance Academy (2010-14), Community (2009-15), Utopia (2014-17).

Fav S1 cancellations: Hit & Miss (2012); Quarry (2016).

Still got a fair bit to catch up on yet, as well as a few of these set to end later this year.

Edited by Roo

So the new season of Black Mirror is out on netflix. Just a heads up. Though it seems lukewarm with critics which I was worried about due to the honestly bad trailer. I haven't seen it though.

18 hours ago, dr lopez said:

going through sopranos after doing it 10 years ago. why does anyone else even try. good tv drama begins and ends with sopranos. that's it.

Did this over christmas/nye during cold rains & snow & it never ever relents.

Yeah the therapist/client relationship would've ended almost immediately irl, but for characters, jokes, grim outcomes & murders, more jokes, each season's nemesis (R Aprile, Big Pussy, Ralphie, Feech La Manna, the entire NY crews/cast *shout out to the Shah of Iran), family dynamics, Paulie Walnuts, Sil, Uncle Joon, Bobby Bacala, Vito's arc, that poor cunt in the Bing who keeps getting battered, the conveyor belt of goomahs, Carmela's moral turpitude/acquiescing, the dream sequences & an ending to shame everything else in television since.

There were so many nuggets of gold, it's futile trying to list em al, but god dayum, class, sheer class.

No soundtrack in the Sopranos. As far as I could tell. It might be the quietest show ever made too. Not the songs they play (like Aphex). but just a general moody soundtrack. Doesn't exist

Edited by marf

Did it need it & have you ever had Sunday dinner with a large, loud, bickering family from New Jersey?

The conversational baiting & rowing are their own soundtrack. If yer lucky, it all flows with Sinatra, Limoncello, a game of Spades after grub & everyone still talking to each other Monday morning.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, Joyrex said:

i'm having a really . hard time getting through the first season. i finished the episode where the 'not very believable astronauts' have been sent into space because everyone on earth is dead. then at some point one of them tries to phone home only to freak the captain out. i thought everyone on earth was dead? who cares. i don't even remember how it ended. 

i can honestly say so far i haven't enjoyed a single episode except maybe the one about the comet that made all the men violent- although there was something "parody-ish" about that episode.

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

i'm having a really . hard time getting through the first season. i finished the episode where the 'not very believable astronauts' have been sent into space because everyone on earth is dead. then at some point one of them tries to phone home only to freak the captain out. i thought everyone on earth was dead? who cares. i don't even remember how it ended. 

i can honestly say so far i haven't enjoyed a single episode except maybe the one about the comet that made all the men violent- although there was something "parody-ish" about that episode.

I'm thinking of waiting for the b+w version, that might possibly add some authenticity to the show.  I loved the mid 80s version of Twilight Zone.

5 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I'm thinking of waiting for the b+w version, that might possibly add some authenticity to the show.  I loved the mid 80s version of Twilight Zone.

With opening sequence music done by none other than The Grateful Dead

Plus I don't think black and white will make the current TZ any better than it is...