IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

27 minutes ago, kichiguy said:

What do you lot think of Euphoria so far? 

succ.

the worst qualities of hbo are overemphasized, very shallow and offering nothing new.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:24 AM, lickneonlights said:

Since there's nothing interesting or fresh left to watch, started "Dark" season 2, it's like German "Stranger Things" with multiple timelines (for those who don't know). Good premise, but season 1 was a total snoozeville and slow burner with lots and lots of names and it was easy to get mixed up. I am expecting the same from season 2, but episode 1 was surprisingly good so far. We'll see.

Since you liked Tuca and Bertie you'll probably like Aggretsuko on Netflix. Assuming you haven't already seen it. Pretty good show, especially the first season.

Edited by Brisbot

On 6/26/2019 at 6:39 AM, Brisbot said:

Since you liked Tuca and Bertie you'll probably like Aggretsuko on Netflix. Assuming you haven't already seen it. Pretty good show, especially the first season.

Thanks, will check it out. Although while looking it up I saw some negative review and since then I've been in doubts. You know how it happens sometimes... Someone tells you about a show, you look it up, you see someone saying it's meh (but in this case it was some super constructive criticism towards the heroine being irrationally mad at times instead of solving problems), and you start thinking it's meh and cringe too, and here it goes... I dunno. I might give it a shot still.

Meanwhile I've finished Dark season 2 and oh man am I in doubts about this show... It's one hell of a slow burner that is so fucking complicated that I raged and wanted to smash my laptop by the end of the season, but it was interesting to watch paradoxically. Maybe because I was looking for answers / closure, but the creators decided "fuck everyone" and made it more and more complicated with each episode. By the end of this season not only are we dealing with alternative timelines, we're also getting a glimpse of

Spoiler

alternative universes, for fuck's sake

I don't know of any show that is SO. OVERLY. FUCKING. COMPLICATED. that not even a dedicated wiki-page helps to unravel the shit going on. 

I'm mad. 

Went through Altered Carbon last week. There's a pretty heavy amount of cheese throughout it but they nail the cyberpunk atmosphere. Almost worth watching just for that.

21 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

Thanks, will check it out. Although while looking it up I saw some negative review and since then I've been in doubts. You know how it happens sometimes... Someone tells you about a show, you look it up, you see someone saying it's meh (but in this case it was some super constructive criticism towards the heroine being irrationally mad at times instead of solving problems), and you start thinking it's meh and cringe too, and here it goes... I dunno. I might give it a shot still.

Lol, just give it a go. It's a pretty straightforward show compared to Tuca and Bertie which shifts gears like 3 times over the course of the season. Though I will say it slowly shifts gears between season 1 and 2. I don't agree with the irrationally mad thing, Japanese humor tends to take a normal situation and turn it up to 11 for comedic effect. But it's still a normal situation at its core. And the heroine does try to solve problems so idk what the review is on about, though it's a show about the new guard vs old workplace traditions (in japan but really anywhere in the world to an extent), so she has to go about problem solving in certain ways.

Many of it's themes do feel like Tuca and Bertie themes. And it isn't a traditional anime either, though the Japanese humor is there. Really it's just a funny show and worth watching.

Edited by Brisbot

18 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

That is such a weird choice for a TV show.. Watch them start it over after five years of work :lol:

Finally got around to watch season 3 of True Detective. I'm probably not alone in thinking it's not as good as season 1, but better than 2.

Did anyone else catch what I think were X-Files nods? Would make sense since Daniel Sackheim worked on the show.

Spoiler

- The part where Wayne has the hallucination of the Vietnamese soldiers showing up in his room - XF season 2, the ep where the candyman can project his visions to the vietnam vet soldiers who can't sleep has a scene very similar to this.

- the whole thing about the chicken plant in Arkansas, with the mysterious owner there being into hunting in Africa - also XF season 2, the ep where Mulder & Scully investigate a chicken plant in Arkansas also with an enigmatic owner, who's into African cannabalism.

• Like 1

I just watched True Detective season 3 and I agree with the 1>3>>>>>>>>>>>2 assessment. It was surprisingly relatable the actors were really excellent. Even Stephen Dorff, who I never really thought about, was almost Jack Nicholson or something. 

2 hours ago, Candiru said:

Even Stephen Dorff, who I never really thought about, was almost Jack Nicholson or something. 

There were moments when watching the 1990 version of Stephen Dorff, that I thought he was Luke Perry. 

• Haha 1

i think nicolas winding refn hasn't done anything worthwhile after the pusher trilogy, yet somehow i really liked ep1 of his new series. he perfected this style, hollowed out pretty much everything human and distilled only mood, aesthetics, tension and characters that are extremely static but quite colorful.  every shot is just gorgeous and the super slow pace gives enough time to savor them. dunno where it'll go next but in ep1 it worked surprisingly well.

Edited by eugene

16 hours ago, Candiru said:

Fleabag definitely has its moments

I tried watching it since everyone was so positive about it in this thread, and I cringed instantly at that 'breaking the fourth wall' thing, it was just so unnatural and ruined the atmosphere for me. I dropped it a few minutes in. I guess I just can't get past the cringe once it's in.

Same thing happened with "State of the Union" yesterday — I love Chris O'Dowd and Rosamund Pike, but the cringe dialogues were just so unnatural and scripted I had to stop. I love when shows are more real, sort of... Like when people talk as they would talk in real life.