IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

On 9/20/2019 at 5:26 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

I wasn’t hooked by the 1st episode so I fell off. Is it worth jumping back in?

Same. Seems odd that they went from adapting a book based on a real life mystery to jettisoning the entire writing staff and crew and inventing a spooky story that takes place during the Japanese internment. If the first season hadn’t been so stellar I’d probably be more forgiving of Infamy, because in concept the idea is intriguing and the story of the internment itself should absolutely be told. But it kinda just feels like AMC hitched a separate original series to The Terror brand in hopes of more viewers.

Also the hook is just nonexistent. The two most compelling moments in the pilot occur in the opening minutes and the rest of the episode is vague caricatures and lackluster horror masquerading as prestige TV. Maybe it’ll hold up better in the context of the full series but reviews of the following episodes were middling so I dunno. Maybe once it’s all out I’ll give it a shot on a rainy day but I started rewatching Channel Zero instead and that feels like a far better decision. CZ is probably my favorite horror anthology series right now and out of all the shows SyFy cancelled during The Great Programming Purge (what do they even have left?) it was the biggest bummer for me. 

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

On 9/23/2019 at 12:15 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Mitchell "Divine" Diggs is the guy I assumed was Bobby's brother, but up to 18 people at once lived in their home, so who knows.  It is fictionalized after all.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitchell-divine-diggs-a9454821

that's his brother. 

you should watch the mics and men documentary. it does a much better job explaining everything (not to mention it's better made) than this series.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:10 PM, Lada Laika said:

Same. Seems odd that they went from adapting a book based on a real life mystery to jettisoning the entire writing staff and crew and inventing a spooky story that takes place during the Japanese internment. If the first season hadn’t been so stellar I’d probably be more forgiving of Infamy, because in concept the idea is intriguing and the story of the internment itself should absolutely be told. But it kinda just feels like AMC hitched a separate original series to The Terror brand in hopes of more viewers.

Also the hook is just nonexistent. The two most compelling moments in the pilot occur in the opening minutes and the rest of the episode is vague caricatures and lackluster horror masquerading as prestige TV. 

I haven't seen the first season yet, but recently started watching season 2 of the Terror and have to say it feels very amateurish. the story hasn't progressed very far in the 1st 4 episodes I've watched, and also the acting from the younger actors isn't all that great. it reminds me of a bad early season x-files episode, especially those bleak, grey Vancouver skies.

• Thanks 1

first episode of Star Trek Voyager was much better than i expected it to be....from what i've heard (and remember, i think i caught some of it way back when) it doesn't necessarily hold on the quality but...i'm gonna give it a chance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

I haven't seen the first season yet, but recently started watching season 2 of the Terror and have to say it feels very amateurish. the story hasn't progressed very far in the 1st 4 episodes I've watched, and also the acting from the younger actors isn't all that great. it reminds me of a bad early season x-files episode, especially those bleak, grey Vancouver skies.

Just drop whatever you’re doing and watch the entire first season right now. You won’t regret it - it’s basically a perfect limited series that will be forever be marred by the mediocrity of Infamy.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:36 AM, auxien said:

first episode of Star Trek Voyager was much better than i expected it to be....from what i've heard (and remember, i think i caught some of it way back when) it doesn't necessarily hold on the quality but...i'm gonna give it a chance

..recently did a 'The Doctor'- episodes marathon - he is such a lovable prat..

3hnOdzI.jpg

• Like 2

Props to whoever recommended Snowfall, (rip Mr singleton),  Excellent show and a true story pretty much. I somehow new the main character Franklin was British. Something about the way he walks. Something I can't put finger on, but I just knew, and he was. Rest of the cast is American.

5 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Bojack Horseman's last season!

One of my very, very favorite TV shows. Didn't know it'd be the last season.

Edited by Nil
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Nil said:

One of my very, very favorite TV shows. Didn't know it'd be the last season.

I figured the show had 2 or 3 more seasons in it before it started to become stale. Though how many times can Bojack learn the same lesson as well, you know?

Autumn is here so just rebooted my Netflix account.

Just finished second season of Top Boy. And started up Narcos Mexico. All great.

Pissed off that Parts Unknown has been taken down, one of the greatest fact based television programme I've ever watched. It was always a good feeling knowing that the whole series was there at a touch of a button. Now it's gone I'm a little forlorn.

I just finished the Ken Burns - Country Music documentary series. EIGHT TWO-HOUR EPISODES. As someone who generally doesn’t care much for country music (other than a handful of non-traditional artists like Johnny Cash and Gram Parsons), I really enjoyed it. It was pretty amazing how it really got you steeped in the artist’s stories, histories and music so that you felt familiar with many of the genre’s key players in a span of 100 years or so. The last episode was shit though. It felt like it was stretching real hard to make artists like Garth Brooks seem legendary. Also, the whole series also really skirts around how racist white southerners are. 

On 9/24/2019 at 4:57 AM, Enthusiast said:

Watched 6 episodes of Succession b2b on a flight. Second season is even better than the first. Like it a lot.

just finished succession season 1, liked it. basically a pimped up version of dynasty or dallas though. could have done without the chiv/nate subplot.

true detective s3 and chernobyl scheduled next

On 9/29/2019 at 3:21 AM, iococoi said:

..recently did a 'The Doctor'- episodes marathon - he is such a lovable prat..

3hnOdzI.jpg

I love the one where it's hundred of years after Voyager's journey, and the Doctor's backup program awakes, and sets off to find out what happened to his ship.  

^^ is that the one where he's re-activated in a museum 

Spoiler

and they think voyager was a warship?

my favorite episode with the doctor is 'tinker tenor doctor spy'

I have been looking for a new show and "Impulse" is actually really awesome.  Follows the books / storyline of the movie "Jumper" which was sort of a flop.  Really loving this as a TV show though, the actors are better than I thought they'd be, really suspenseful and fun.  Helped that they played some El-P in the first or second Episode, good way to get me addicted play some Underground Hip-Hop lol.

edit: WOAH.  DERU made the soundtrack.  Had no fucking clue.

Edited by lyst

22 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I just finished the Ken Burns - Country Music documentary series. EIGHT TWO-HOUR EPISODES. As someone who generally doesn’t care much for country music (other than a handful of non-traditional artists like Johnny Cash and Gram Parsons), I really enjoyed it. It was pretty amazing how it really got you steeped in the artist’s stories, histories and music so that you felt familiar with many of the genre’s key players in a span of 100 years or so. The last episode was shit though. It felt like it was stretching real hard to make artists like Garth Brooks seem legendary. Also, the whole series also really skirts around how racist white southerners are. 

I remember watching the Ken Burns jazz series and being kind of annoyed how much Stanley Crouch there was And how he sided with him about ignoring stuff like Bitches Brew and stuff inspired by it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nebraska said:

^^ is that the one where he's re-activated in a museum 

Hide contents

and they think voyager was a warship?

my favorite episode with the doctor is 'tinker tenor doctor spy'

S04E23 "Living Witness" is the museum episode, directed by Tim "Tuvok" Russ:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Witness

On 10/1/2019 at 4:17 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

yeah my father-in-law said this was amazing and he's a jazz guy. gonna have to watch it. we both agreed the ken burns jazz one sucks penis. wynton marsalis is so annoying and i guess he was even in this one.

5 hours ago, dr lopez said:

yeah my father-in-law said this was amazing and he's a jazz guy. gonna have to watch it. we both agreed the ken burns jazz one sucks penis. wynton marsalis is so annoying and i guess he was even in this one.

Yeah. Actually, I kept asking myself “Why do I have to keep hearing what Wynton Marsalis thinks about this??” He isn’t in it a ton, but the amount he is in it is way too much... especially considering (last time I checked) he isn’t a country musician, but whatever.