IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

AA5ECM9ebfqaLnz-S5RZ4ytstUseEAU7OMhD2S0A

kind of interesting 3 part documentary about the fall of berlin to the allied powers told through various diaries and journals of red army soldiers, german personnel and survivors of the third reich. maybe you can say it's a shortened version of the second part of this documentary

My gf and I reached season 5 of the Sopranos. I forgot how much this show destroyed me the first time I watched it. That one scene with Tony and Junior broke my heart in a million pieces.

Link contains major spoilers.

Rewatched Sopranos last year. Was kinda surprised how well it aged.

Currently watching "4 Blocks". Kinda Arabic klan Neukölln Sopranos. A good gangster/mafia-story. Some of the characters are well known from the numerous gangster/mafia series and films we've already seen, but it has nice twist and turns, and you never really know who will survive the next episode. A 8,2 IMDB rating.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:49 PM, Nebraska said:

220px-Star_Trek_Discovery_season_3_poste

st discovery: the starbucks iced mocha latte edition

tried season 3 and gave up 2 episodes in. laughably bad

I'm watching Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) with the gf on Netflix.
It's surprisingly fun and addictive to watch. We like it very much.
In years past I kept ignoring all things Star Trek related, cause I thought it looked like a silly Star Wars clone.
Jeez, by the nine divines, was I wrong.
About a month ago I decided to give this old series a shot...
...It's now one of my favourite TV series of all time. I love it.
I'm not convinced by any of the newer series and movies however.
They look waaay off the mark; like they don't understand what Star Trek is all about.
Anyway, tldr: I'm enjoying ST-TNG a lot right now. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

The second season of The Mandalorian is delightful. It is exactly how a nerdy teen me would have liked a Star Wars adventure. Has me smiling with nostalgic nerd joy. And dropping those tasty EU nuggets all over the place. This is the series that is keeping Star Wars on life support while the rest of Disney figures out what they want to do with the property.

Edited by azatoth
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

i'd also recommend voyager. it's not as good as TNG but it's definitely fun despite a few very cringy episodes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

In years past I kept ignoring all things Star Trek related, cause I thought it looked like a silly Star Wars clone.
They look waaay off the mark; like they don't understand what Star Trek is all about.

TNG was a bit shaky in the first few seasons (though I love them all) but you really start to get some gems, with the occasional duff episode. 

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

i'd also recommend voyager. it's not as good as TNG but it's definitely fun despite a few very cringy episodes. 

Never got into Voyager, though it's still worth watching. DS9 has always been my fave, awesome cast, and great character development. At its best Star Trek is just awesome. They could still do something awesome with it, just need to sort the rights out, and get people that actually like it behind a new show. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

TNG was a bit shaky in the first few seasons (though I love them all) but you really start to get some gems, with the occasional duff episode. 

Never got into Voyager, though it's still worth watching. DS9 has always been my fave, awesome cast, and great character development. At its best Star Trek is just awesome. They could still do something awesome with it, just need to sort the rights out, and get people that actually like it behind a new show. 

and i never watched ds9. one of my friends swears by it but he recommended starting with specific episodes- which i've never had the patience to do- and thus never watched it. 

i also agree with star trek being something "they could still do something awesome with", but i think they just need good writers. this whole philosophy that we should cater to short term attention span audiences by producing jj abrams influenced trek series' that always take place before TOS just doesn't work imo- not to mention how much they don't even resemble trek in look.

another major problem for me is the casting. i always loved TNG and VOY characters. i think michelle yeoh would've worked great if she was cast as (maybe?) a tal shiar or vulcan. maybe even a betazoid but as it stands, it's like they threw together a united colors of benetton casting call and told everyone to just pretend they're working for NASA. 

I love DS9, highly recommended. TNG was the only Star Trek show I watched as a kid in the 90s, but DS9 became my favorite when I watched through it on netflix recently. worth watching the whole thing imo. there are some weak filler episodes here and there but that's to be expected with any series of that era, networks forcing everyone to make 24 episodes a season was always a mistake.

• Like 2

I also loved DS9 when it first aired. I imagine it might feel a bit campy today, but that's no deal breaker. Looking forward to a rewatch, but first I'll have to get through TNG which I've also recently started rewatching (I never watched all episodes, just caught it on TV whenever I could back in the day) and enjoy tremendously.

• Like 1

Ok maybe it needs a new thread, but I was wondering what kids tv series you all rate?

Have watched Avatar and Dragon Prince with the kids recently (both amazing) and now we have a void to fill for programming that is not mindless/toy advertisements.

2 hours ago, Extralife said:

Ok maybe it needs a new thread, but I was wondering what kids tv series you all rate?

Have watched Avatar and Dragon Prince with the kids recently (both amazing) and now we have a void to fill for programming that is not mindless/toy advertisements.

Masha and the Bear is ace. We're also watching Duck Tales (the original series, dunno about the reboot), and she loves The Adventures of Puss in Boots, DC Superhero Girls and Miraculous.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:46 PM, Nebraska said:

and i never watched ds9. one of my friends swears by it but he recommended starting with specific episodes- which i've never had the patience to do- and thus never watched it. 

i also agree with star trek being something "they could still do something awesome with", but i think they just need good writers. this whole philosophy that we should cater to short term attention span audiences by producing jj abrams influenced trek series' that always take place before TOS just doesn't work imo- not to mention how much they don't even resemble trek in look.

another major problem for me is the casting. i always loved TNG and VOY characters. i think michelle yeoh would've worked great if she was cast as (maybe?) a tal shiar or vulcan. maybe even a betazoid but as it stands, it's like they threw together a united colors of benetton casting call and told everyone to just pretend they're working for NASA. 

In the interest of continued peace in the Alpha Quadrant, I will happily re-watch Voyager, and I hope you will watch DS9 ? 

I'm not a fan of JJ Abrams, always found his work "meh", and I think he missed the point with Star Trek with the films. I  managed 2 episodes of Discovery, but it was just full of 'plosions and people running around corridors. You've got a whole galaxy - and time - to play with, and they keep trying to add to the history around TOS. That being said, I did finally get around to watching Enterprise this year, and bar a patchy first season, I really enjoyed it, though that last episode...

I'd like to see a Trek series that has something a little bit more positive to say about the future, showing us being the "better angels of our nature". Have a show that can act as a pull to get people into science, and fit in some of the great discoveries from astronomy and physics from the last decade. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

In the interest of continued peace in the Alpha Quadrant, I will happily re-watch Voyage, and I hope you will watch DS9 ? 

will start ds9 tonight.

rseLHF2.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/27/2020 at 2:11 AM, MaartenVC said:

spacer.png

I grew up watching that show and still love it. It was fun to see crossover episodes when TNG and DS9 were on tv at the same time. A weird thing about TNG is that the episodes get markedly better after they change the collar on their uniforms.

Voyager was decent, but I got really turned off by how much the show focused on 7 of 9 being a babe. Seemed like other boys in school just watched it for the T & A. Never watched Enterprise. And yeah, there are maybe three or four good Star Trek movies, but most of them are problematic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Voyager was decent, but I got really turned off by how much the show focused on 7 of 9 being a babe. Seemed like other boys in school just watched it for the T & A. Never watched Enterprise. And yeah, there are maybe three or four good Star Trek movies, but most of them are problematic.

jeri ryan was also in a relationship was exec. producer brannon 'i wrote threshold' braga who insisted on attempting a data-type story arc for her character. the real babe, imo, was b'lanna

MV5BNjVhOGZmZjYtYmRjMy00MzAxLWE0ZjEtNTQx

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:53 AM, Acedia said:

Started watching the sopranos recently and holy hell has it lived up to the hype. There are some laughable bad sfx moments but the writing.... so incredible. Also the dream sequences are *chefs kiss*

yep

still the best series of all time. nothing come close

well better call saul is catching up though

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nebraska said:

will start ds9 tonight.

alrighty. finished first (two?) episode

actually kinda enjoyed that. i like ben sisko and that one dame that supposedly has "a slug" inside her.  i'm hoping "the entity" in this episode has a broader story arc than just this one (two?) episodes though. the only person i thought was weak was jake sisko. he only had a few lines and somehow managed to make each one annoying. 

also- was surprised the guy with the boxy face turns into a kind of metallic liquid. not sure why that surprised me. i guess i'm used to humanoids that don't turn into stuff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ayya Khema said:

yep

still the best series of all time. nothing come close

well better call saul is catching up though

Man we really are living in such a good fuckin time for dramatic tv huh. Breaking bad, sopranos, better call saul, atlanta, and probably more that im forgetting.