IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

lol, contrary to popular belief I don't read everything posted on here, I barely remember what I post here myself. Sorry.

Peacock has those new extended episodes of parks and recreation that I’m planning on watching, so I’m also binging that. But they are in the last season which is probably my least favorite. 

When I first watched the American office, I was literally renting the DVDs from blockbuster, and while it seems ridiculous now- there was deleted scenes on them that would be sometimes funnier than the episodes. Then eventually I caught up and just recorded them on dvr, but I always wondered what deleted scenes were on the seasons I never saw. That’s totally something that streaming has lost, but seems to be picking up. With those mockumentary comedy type shows, the deleted scenes are basically the same as the show. Seems much cooler than other deleted scenes.

The Twilight Zone (1959). Watched S4, E1 ep. "In His Image" last night. 8/10. kept me guessing throughout the episode until the reveal at the end, which was classically sci-fi weird. I now need to watch all the episodes written by Charles Beaumont asap, as the one's I've seen by him are the strangest.

even though I've seen so many of these over the years, I've purposely not watched the entire thing as I want to be able to continue to experience new TZ episodes for a long time to come. I bought the DVD box set many years ago, and pull it out from time to time when I get sick of all the new streaming crap. I know I can stream TZ on many different platforms, but still prefer the lower quality DVD versions than the shiny 1080p one. 

46 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

?

I suppose it's nostalgia, timmy, for simpler times... or maybe I'm trying to live my life as if it were still 2005, who knows.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, zero said:

I suppose it's nostalgia, timmy, for simpler times... or maybe I'm trying to live my life as if it were still 2005, who knows.

i get VHS, but DVD?... it's like you have vinyl and flac and you go for mp3 or CD...default_doge.png

Edited by Tim_J

On 3/11/2021 at 11:14 AM, Tim_J said:

So, which episodes of p&r and the office have extra scenes? U sure that's not already in the blu-ray cut? Or even in the extras? 

My sister was telling me that some of the ones in the last season were “producer cuts”. Like one was a Ron and Jammy one, with Jamm and Tammy that was an hour long? On peacock I saw that some were longer for sure, and I thought it said exclusive content.

Also, I’m a sucker too for all the Berlanti stuff, and Johns. I read everything Johns writes, he’s probably my favorite comic writer. At least modern stuff. We are way behind, tho, slowly approaching crisis on infinite earths- like 10 episodes away in every show. So I did see Lois and Clark in Elseworlds, and I’ll watch it when we get there. One of our dogs is named Lois Lane, so I kinda have to.

Edited by Himelstein
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tim_J said:

wandavision was ultra fun, how do these corny jokes still work today? great! last couple of episodes were disappointing though...:(

Yeah, it was fun, but as usual it ended the usual Marvel way with different colored "lasers" being thrown around, complete with a pillar of colored light going up to the sky. I get that the MCU has certain beats that are required, but had hoped the Marvel series would be more nuanced and stray away from the fomula a bit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/13/2021 at 5:40 AM, Tim_J said:

i get VHS, but DVD?... it's like you have vinyl and flac and you go for mp3 or CD...default_doge.png

I'm sure no one cares at this point, but just to close the loop on my DVD vs. 1080p comment - I should have clarified that I prefer the DVD quality version of the old Twilight Zone episodes as opposed to the Hi-Def ones.

years ago whenever they released TZ on Blu-Ray, it was a noticeably different look that that of the original aired version, which was shot on black & white film. everything on the Blu-ray version (and this version also got shown on one of those new year's day TZ marathons that the syfy channel does) had that "live action" look, that IMO detracted from the look and feel of the original. there also was pushback toward the Hi-Def version from the online fan community, as evidenced on the now obsolete IMDB boards (damn I miss those...I know they had to shut them down due to the out of control trolling, but those were super insightful, and I got a lot of great info from some of them).  

also, the new Hi-def look strongly resembled some of the old TZ episodes that were shot on tape as an experiment, as opposed to film back in the day. there were only a few shot this way out of the 200+ shot on film, and they were largely panned as looking cheap or low budget as opposed to the episodes shot on film.

so that was the long, serious answer as to why I preferred DVD over the superior technology version. but yeah...for just about everything else, including older shows/movies, the better quality version is gonna be far more preferable than the DVD quality version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zero said:

so that was the long, serious answer as to why I preferred DVD over the superior technology version. but yeah...for just about everything else, including older shows/movies, the better quality version is gonna be far more preferable than the DVD quality version.

it's not bluray's or even hi-def fault... it's whoever transferred and digitally remastered those old reels... what happened is that whoever transferred it to dvd did a higher faithful and transparent job... imho, afaik, ama, tldr...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

Started watching "Supernatural" because i wanted to binge something that has a lot of episodes and it has about a hundred seasons.  It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be.  Some super cheesy stuff but I bet it gets better.  The production quality is not horrible either, just hoping for some better storylines coming up.  

Finished up Homecoming the other day. Decent, except the ending - the actions of one character  are totally out of whack with the previous portrayal of the character.  

On 3/20/2021 at 9:29 PM, lyst said:

Started watching "Supernatural" because i wanted to binge something that has a lot of episodes and it has about a hundred seasons.  It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be.  Some super cheesy stuff but I bet it gets better.  The production quality is not horrible either, just hoping for some better storylines coming up.  

Supernatural is awesome. My wife and I started watching it when the first three seasons or so were on Netflix and gradually fell in love with it over the years. I'm not lying when I say my wife has watched the entire series at least 2xs and is on another rewatch now that the last season dropped. 

It's... the first season is this great, cheesy monster of the week thing but as you get further in and the characters develop, the show starts to really hit its stride with greater mythology stuff. Jensen Ackles (Dean) is also fucking hilarious. If you stick with it there is one post-episode outtake that is one of the legitimately most amazing, hilarious, feel great about life things I've ever seen. 

• Like 1