IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

^ Looks dope AF. 

About 1/2 way through Midnight Mass. As a lapsed Catholic, uncanny how the mass sections bring back deeply ingrained childhood memories (could still do most of the recitations be heart). Going to reserve final judgment until the end but sometimes I get the feeling that the show isn't as clever/awesome as it thinks it is. Some of the monologues seemly overly long (unnecessarily so) - some of the directions seems great, but then there are things like that long one-shot in EP 2 on the beach where I'm wondering... but why? It doesn't seem to really serve any narrative or aesthetic purpose and is it just there because long one-shots are cool? 

Probably my perception is skewed coming off of True Detective who has a one-shot that is probably one of the best I've ever seen (and serves to build necessary tension during a plot point where you actually know the characters will survive) and whose long-winded speeches actually feel totally earned. 

Still, a very good show, but even mid-way when things are starting to ramp up I still find my mind wandering and thinking

8NsjNda.gif

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, T3551ER said:

^ Looks dope AF. 

About 1/2 way through Midnight Mass. As a lapsed Catholic, uncanny how the mass sections bring back deeply ingrained childhood memories (could still do most of the recitations be heart). Going to reserve final judgment until the end but sometimes I get the feeling that the show isn't as clever/awesome as it thinks it is. Some of the monologues seemly overly long (unnecessarily so) - some of the directions seems great, but then there are things like that long one-shot in EP 2 on the beach where I'm wondering... but why? It doesn't seem to really serve any narrative or aesthetic purpose and is it just there because long one-shots are cool? 

Probably my perception is skewed coming off of True Detective who has a one-shot that is probably one of the best I've ever seen (and serves to build necessary tension during a plot point where you actually know the characters will survive) and whose long-winded speeches actually feel totally earned. 

Still, a very good show, but even mid-way when things are starting to ramp up I still find my mind wandering and thinking

8NsjNda.gif

There’s a lot of Biblical ambiguity that makes for a good discussion afterward.

1 hour ago, iococoi said:

that Succession thing.

Man...Kendel you gonna go full manic and flame it out or get this thing to altitude? His plotline is genuinely one of the most "cointoss" things I've ever seen in a show or movie and I love it. 

• Big Brain 1

The original Cowboy Bebop series just came to Netflix, it's been yonks since I've seen it, so rewatching. Squid Game was nice enough, but nothing really special - I understand why it's popular. Starting on S2 of Locke & Key; started on Another Life S2, Midnight Mass, and Sisyphus. Finished a second round of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion series, watched The End of Evangelion and Evangelion Death (True)2; binged through the Evangelion remake 1.11, 2.22, 3.33, and 3.0+1.01 on Prime Video - I didn't think the remakes are bad, they're... different. Not as carefully constructed or subtle as the original series, but not utter crap either - but I'm a nerd, so I'll get into almost any anime with ease - YMMV. Looking forward to the Wheel of Time on Prime. I've been lagging behind on Billions, should catch up on S5. HBO Nordic will turn to HBO Max next week, so there's going to an influx of things to watch, including Dune (I think), so I'm looking forward to a replay (or three).

On the 4th episode of Midnight Mass. Definitely my kind of thing. Some parts are a bit slow but overall it’s a good watch. Not so convinced with the drink driving son because so far he seems a complete bore. Obviously he needs to start drinking again ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, beerwolf said:

On the 4th episode of Midnight Mass. Definitely my kind of thing. Some parts are a bit slow but overall it’s a good watch. Not so convinced with the drink driving son because so far he seems a complete bore. Obviously he needs to start drinking again ?

finished the whole thing a few days ago. I was completely hooked the whole time. amazing show throughout up until the last episode, which kinda slipped a bit in my opinion. I feel like flannagan sometimes has difficulty with his endings in general but the rest is always so rich. Love the attention to detail.

Still, very refreshing to see a genre show with such smart writing. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

been watching some old horror type shows on the freemium apps.

Monsters (1988) - old sci-fi channel horror anthology program. some low budget weirdness. a lot of before-they-were famous American actors on here.

Tales of the Unexpected (1979) - British anthology featuring Roald Dahl. some horror, but mostly creepy "hauntology" type stories.

The Ray Bradbury Theater (1985) - some serious vaporwave sampling could be had from this show. some of these are on par with the classic Twilight Zone ep's. can't believe I never watched before.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1

On 10/23/2021 at 2:13 PM, dcom said:

Looking forward to the Wheel of Time on Prime.

While I have some concerns about the show, I'm looking forward to watching this. Seeing the clip of Emond's Field, along with Lan and Moraine, gave me some hope. 

On 10/23/2021 at 6:15 AM, Rubin Farr said:

There’s a lot of Biblical ambiguity that makes for a good discussion afterward.

Just finished up, agreed def good fodder for thought/discussion. It's an incredibly clever premise that holds a mirror up to religion/humanity an in interesting way - still feel like it wasn't quite as well executed as it could have been, but ultimately very well done. In particular:

Spoiler

I actually felt ok about the ending - in particular, the monologue about what death is (remembering that we're part of this vast oneness, and then forgetting as we assume human, linear time perspective) feels very Buddhist and I was a little surprised to hear that voiced by a Christian character.  I also really liked Bev literally trying to dig her way into the beach to bury her head in the sand, as juxtaposed by the Muslim father/son praying to the rising sun. Plus, humanity, when faced with great power burning everything to the fucking ground seems about right. Sun still gonna come up in the AM, regardless

8.5 Stephen Kings/9.56 Shirley Jacksons

• Like 1

Just finished Midnight Mass, 9/10

Tbh I wasn’t expecting much, just another similar kind of supernatural, spooky horror which I’ve seen over and over again (because I’m a fan of this particular genre). Though there are some parts that go at a snail pace, this was good, very good indeed. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Burger 1

On 10/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, MaartenVC said:

I watched these over the past months before sleeping:

Friday Night Dinner (2011-...)
Comedy with Tamsin Greig (Green Wing, Black Books)
"Two siblings share their Friday-night dinners at their parents' home and, somehow, something always goes wrong."
Pretty funny. About family-life. Less surreal.

this shows got some serious game. Perfect casting/writing and energy between the actors and every scene with Mark Heap is pure joy to witness since he's basically the same character as he was in Green Wing

• Like 1

Getting to the last couple episodes of Locke and Key Season 2.  Just as good if not better than season 1.  My brother didn’t like it as much because of the acting but I can overlook it.  The good acting makes up for the crappy kid / teen acting.    But other than that, tons of good storylines twisting around into a well crafted show.   Would recommend if you are a Stranger Things fan.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9O9WVb95-O46wkABw0__

this was impressively bad. i guess it's to be expected that everything star trek nowadays is basically just a rebranded version of star wars. not sure why they didn't make something like TAS but i guess that would require them to come up with something a little more original and less like 'lower decks'

On 10/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, Nebraska said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9O9WVb95-O46wkABw0__

this was impressively bad. i guess it's to be expected that everything star trek nowadays is basically just a rebranded version of star wars. not sure why they didn't make something like TAS but i guess that would require them to come up with something a little more original and less like 'lower decks'

Yeah, I had to scrub almost all the way to the end, to get like 10 seconds of Janeway. insipid.

Anyone into foundation?

I tried watching the first episode but the combination of it being boring AF and not immediately relatable to the books made me quit it, is it worth powering through?

41 minutes ago, GORDO said:

Anyone into foundation?

I tried watching the first episode but the combination of it being boring AF and not immediately relatable to the books made me quit it, is it worth powering through?

yea. foundation is excellent. but it sounds like you will find ways to not like it. 

36 minutes ago, species8472 said:

yea. foundation is excellent. but it sounds like you will find ways to not like it. 

lot of people complaining it is not in the spirit of the books at all. i havent read them. i think its ok but there are definitely some goofy bits that remind me of late 90s scifi on tv.

Finished watching The Serpent last week so I was in need of a new drama series to watch on the two nights each week that my girlfriend and I watch our own shows. I have a few 20-30min shows going as well, but I need that one 45-60min show as something to really sink my teeth into. So I spent 15 minutes browsing my lists on the various streaming platforms — HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. 

Animal Kingdom - This was in my Amazon list since a while back and I decided to try this first. Super douchey characters, bad acting, came off as a Point Break knockoff and I turned it off after 20 minutes. I love Point Break though but fuck these douchebags.  

Kevin Can Go F**k Himself - This was a recent addition to my Amazon queue, don't recall where I heard of it but decided to give it a go. Lead actor looked familiar, then I realized she (Annie Murphy) plays Alexis Rose on Schitt's Creek. Quite a different role here. Anyway this seems interesting, mixing a sitcom style complete with laugh track with a drama outside the house. I planned to continue watching, until I realized only the first episode is "free" on Amazon Prime and I'd have to pay for the rest or watch on AMC. So I guess that's that. 

Now I'm back to searching for something else to watch Wednesday night. Or not, actually, we're going to a show that night. So it'll be Sunday night. The browsing shall resume.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Animal Kingdom - This was in my Amazon list since a while back and I decided to try this first. Super douchey characters, bad acting, came off as a Point Break knockoff and I turned it off after 20 minutes. I love Point Break though but fuck these douchebags.  

fuck this shit. just watch the movie and leave this cheap bastardisation of it out.