IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Reservation Dogs - this was great. I think FX did it a disservice strongly promoting it as a comedy though. when I first heard about it I was intrigued, but passed on watching initially as the description made it sound as if it was going to be a somewhat goofy teen comedy, which I'm not really into. yeah it was funny in a lot of parts, but it was also quite dark and weird in some spots (e.g. the deer lady).

• Like 2

Been sucked into the second-tier MCU series - Punisher, Daredevil, and now Jessica Jones. Enjoyable, low-thought capacity viewing (I watch a lot while I'm working lol).

I might give Luke Cage and Iron Fist a miss. Is Defenders worth watching?

On 11/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, Shimon_Shimon said:

Currently watching The Wheel of time.

Watched the first 5 minutes and noped out. 

• Haha 2
  • Big Brain 1

4 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Been sucked into the second-tier MCU series - Punisher, Daredevil, and now Jessica Jones. Enjoyable, low-thought capacity viewing (I watch a lot while I'm working lol).

Watched the first 5 minutes and noped out. 

I just finished Jessica Jones S2, and it was a grind, the budget seems to sink with each season. Defenders is no Avengers by any means, but it ties up Daredevil S2 and Elektra/The Hand. A shame it wasn’t a better culmination of the Netflix stuff, but on a bright note, Charlie Cox is confirmed to return as Daredevil in the MCU (which means it’s also likely Vincent D’onofrio will return as Kingpin, probably in a Spider-Man movie)

6 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Charlie Cox is confirmed to return as Daredevil in the MCU (which means it’s also likely Vincent D’onofrio will return as Kingpin, probably in a Spider-Man movie)

Yeah I saw that, pretty good news. Vincent D'Onofrio did a good job with Kingpin, even if the writers sold his character a little short in terms of development.

• Like 1

I also watched about 5 minutes of The Wheel of Time before noping out. Then I proceeded to watch 20 minutes of Shadow and Bone while browsing my phone before I remembered that I had already noped out of that one a couple of months back while doing exactly the same thing (minus the remembering part).

I guess I'm unable to watch a fantasy series unless there's a witty small person getting drunk and tastefully lit booba to catch my attention.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I just finished Jessica Jones S2, and it was a grind, the budget seems to sink with each season. Defenders is no Avengers by any means, but it ties up Daredevil S2 and Elektra/The Hand. A shame it wasn’t a better culmination of the Netflix stuff, but on a bright note, Charlie Cox is confirmed to return as Daredevil in the MCU (which means it’s also likely Vincent D’onofrio will return as Kingpin, probably in a Spider-Man movie)

Out of the glut of Marvel stuff, I had a soft spot for the Netflix shows. Daredevil was great, and the other shows... not consistent, though there were moments. Terrible casting for the Iron Fist dude, I was rooting for him to die in the series.

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Yeah I saw that, pretty good news. Vincent D'Onofrio did a good job with Kingpin, even if the writers sold his character a little short in terms of development.

Great actor, and the best Thor.

tumblr_8ab170a82fffe7ffdf116c8249254637_adb765c9_540.gif.f513474751e9e15894b9ec96bf6b497e.gif

1 hour ago, Silent Member said:

I guess I'm unable to watch a fantasy series unless there's a witty small person getting drunk and tastefully lit booba to catch my attention.

Has there ever been a good fantasy TV series, or film... classic book fantasy, translated to the screen? I've always thought that the LotR films were a bit 'meh', and the idea of the new show doesn't do anything for me. The Wheel of Time series is really shaping up to be rubbish, I'm yet to reach "nope" level yet, due to history with the books. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon

2 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Has there ever been a good fantasy TV series, or film... classic book fantasy, translated to the screen? I've always thought that the LotR films were a bit 'meh', and the idea of the new show doesn't do anything for me. The Wheel of Time series is really shaping up to be rubbish, I'm yet to reach "nope" level yet, due to history with the books. 

Probably not exactly what you're thinking but maybe

Amazon.com: The Princess Bride : Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright,  Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest, Wallace Shawn, André the Giant, Fred  Savage, Peter Falk, Peter Cook, Mel Smith, Carol Kane, Adrian Biddle,

• Like 3

The neverending story was pretty good when I was a kid back in the 80s. I haven't rewatched it because I don't want to ruin my memories.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 3

Out of the glut of Marvel stuff, I had a soft spot for the Netflix shows. Daredevil was great, and the other shows... not consistent, though there were moments. Terrible casting for the Iron Fist dude, I was rooting for him to die in the series.

Great actor, and the best Thor.

tumblr_8ab170a82fffe7ffdf116c8249254637_adb765c9_540.gif.f513474751e9e15894b9ec96bf6b497e.gif

100% the best Thor!

I enjoyed the LotR films, especially the ultra extended director's cut. But I understand how they wouldn't be for everyone. I suppose it really depends on what you define as fantasy. If you're excluding SF (a reasonable stance), then pickings are slim. Seasons 1-5 of GOT were really pretty fucking good though. Carnival Row had a lot of potential, but my god did they lose the plot..literally.

I think it's really hard to build a convincing magical world on screen as opposed to on the page because our imagination is capable of creating so much more, and what we create in our imagination is of course, so personally developed to our own tastes.

• Like 1

Going to start Series 3 of Lost in Space (Netfilix) and see if it sticks the landing, and The Expanse (Amazon Prime) Series 6 premieres this Thursday...

Just finished the latest series 13 of Doctor Who - the best so far, but not perfect. Hopefully Russell T Davies taking over in 2023 with a new Doctor will make a difference.

Guilty pleasure: Young Sheldon (I know)... but it's cute and funny

Looking forward to Series 2 of Raised by Wolves and I need to watch Blade Runner: Black Lotus and binge it once the last episode comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

The Expanse (Amazon Prime) Series 6 premieres this Thursday...

Looking forward to this very much - one of the best SF shows out there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Probably not exactly what you're thinking but maybe

Amazon.com: The Princess Bride : Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright,  Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest, Wallace Shawn, André the Giant, Fred  Savage, Peter Falk, Peter Cook, Mel Smith, Carol Kane, Adrian Biddle,

That's a classic film, and an amazing book. 

3 hours ago, chenGOD said:

100% the best Thor!

I enjoyed the LotR films, especially the ultra extended director's cut. But I understand how they wouldn't be for everyone. I suppose it really depends on what you define as fantasy. If you're excluding SF (a reasonable stance), then pickings are slim. Seasons 1-5 of GOT were really pretty fucking good though. Carnival Row had a lot of potential, but my god did they lose the plot..literally.

Yeah, definition is need, I should say "sword & sorcery", though that label has rather unfortunate connotations. And I would exclude SF. 

As for LotR, they don't hold much rewatch value for me. They are well filmed yes, there are lots of great things one could say about them. Boromir's death scene - one of many classic character death scenes from Sean Bean - still gets me. The book holds too much value for me, so that's clearly an obstacle for me.  

I just couldn't get into GOT, there were some good elements - I wasn't wedded to the books, and I watched clips as I'm a big Charles Dance fan - but I just found it very boring and cheesy overall, and I'm not a fan of the grimdark vibe. The main cast, besides the young lady that played Arya, were (IMO) all poor actors.

I love urban/modern fantasy as a concept. I missed Carnival Row, trailers didn't grab me. I still hold Carnivale in high regard. The Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell was okay too, I was pleasantly surprised. Let's see what they do Sandman..

5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I think it's really hard to build a convincing magical world on screen as opposed to on the page because our imagination is capable of creating so much more, and what we create in our imagination is of course, so personally developed to our own tastes.

Agreed, I think SF has proved easier when converting to screen from the page, though that opinion probably influenced by the films and shows that shaped me growing up. I need to finally get around to watching the Expanse, comments above are another reminder. 

I gave Shōgun a rewatch last week. For a show that's over 40 years old, it manages to get a lot of things right, presenting late sengoku period Japan on screen in 1980, and doing justice to the book. There's a remake in the works with Hiroyuki Sanada as Toranaga...

939867529_MV5BMTY1ODI4NzYxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA4MzUxMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_(1).thumb.jpg.0852fc2465450ea4a0129a90578c09cd.jpg

As for LotR, they don't hold much rewatch value for me. They are well filmed yes, there are lots of great things one could say about them. Boromir's death scene - one of many classic character death scenes from Sean Bean - still gets me. The book holds too much value for me, so that's clearly an obstacle for me.  

All fair points and totally understandable. The books were re-read often when I was young, the movies, I watch maybe once a year.

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I just couldn't get into GOT, there were some good elements - I wasn't wedded to the books, and I watched clips as I'm a big Charles Dance fan - but I just found it very boring and cheesy overall, and I'm not a fan of the grimdark vibe. The main cast, besides the young lady that played Arya, were (IMO) all poor actors.

I hadn't read the books, got into the series when they were showing season 5, and was pleasantly surprised. Peter Dinklage is also excellent, most of the other actors grow into the roles. The first 5 seasons are really quite good. 6 is still pretty good, seasons 7 and 8 should have never been filmed. I'm not outraged like some fans who are wayyyy too invested in a piece of pop culture, but still, they are just not up to the standards set in the first 6 seasons. Anyhow - not required watching, but good enough if you have time to spare. All IMO obviously.

Agreed, I think SF has proved easier when converting to screen from the page, though that opinion probably influenced by the films and shows that shaped me growing up. I need to finally get around to watching the Expanse, comments above are another reminder.

SF and the comic books (now that CGI is at a level to make the effects seem natural) definitely translate better, especially I think hard SF, as there are usually clear definitions. Definitely give the Expanse a shot, it's very good. I thought they were going to bite off more than they could chew with the plot, but it hasn't jumped any sharks yet.

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I gave Shōgun a rewatch last week. For a show that's over 40 years old, it manages to get a lot of things right, presenting late sengoku period Japan on screen in 1980, and doing justice to the book. There's a remake in the works with Hiroyuki Sanada as Toranaga...

I loved that book (and the whole Clavell series, Tai Pan is probably my favourite) when I was younger, and then I was stupid and went and did Asian Studies in university. It's still a good read, but really hard to get some of the Orientalism and some of the inaccuracies out of the way when reading. I hope the remake is better than the original mini-series, which could never have done justice to the book.

I've seen two (of five) episodes of The North Water. It's about British whaling in Greenland around 1850. Dark, violent and gritty with excellent music by Tim Hecker. Recommended!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/aug/28/north-water-bbc-amc-colin-farrell-stephen-graham-jack-oconnell-andrew-haigh

On 11/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Watching the Beatles “Get Back” series (still 30 minutes remaining in part1… 2 more parts to go). Actually, not 100% sure whether to classify it as a “series” or an 8hr “film”. It doesn’t feel like watching a series. It’s structure is more like a movie. What is unique about it is that it’s more immersive than any other documentary I’ve ever seen about anything. You’re just planted in the room with them and almost experiencing everything they are experiencing for an extended amount of time. It’s the closest thing I can imagine to actually spending time with the band and getting to know them. 
I’m guessing he experience is probably painful for anyone who doesn’t care for the Beatles, but if you love them, or even like them, it’s 100% worth the watch. It’s also crazy to see how young they still were at the end of their career as a band. They each share this paradoxical state of being supercharged with youthful, creative energy and a taxed/spent/fed-up energy. Super fascinating stuff.

Biggest takeaway: Ringo deserves a Medal of Honor for his patience. 

I know! Ringo was the consummate professional; punctual, he showed up even when the others didn’t, he didn’t complain, but I was surprised how isolated he was on his drum throne, and they seemed to almost ignore him. Ringo was an established brand before The Beatles, and afterward. The sound was amazing, and the BTS stuff is really interesting, they used Ai to restore both the audio and video separately, and then resynced the two, which is why it took 4 years of restoration. You really get to hang out with The Beatles for 6 hours, like they just showed up one day. Some Ai “smear” is evident on the image, especially after watching for a while, but you can begin to pick out what shots are actually animated stills, when they are speaking but their mouth is just a vague blur is a telltale sign. Seriously, though poor Ringo, he seemed like the most mature individual, yet he had to spend all day listening to 3 of the most entitled white men on Earth complain about their first world problems. Also Yoko didn’t do anything to antagonize their split, she just sat there silently, but I liked when they let her wail, the freakout jam was great. And thank God they didn’t let Clapton join The Beatles.

• Burger 1

7 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I know! Ringo was the consummate professional; punctual, he showed up even when the others didn’t, he didn’t complain, but I was surprised how isolated he was on his drum throne, and they seemed to almost ignore him. Ringo was an established brand before The Beatles, and afterward. The sound was amazing, and the BTS stuff is really interesting, they used Ai to restore both the audio and video separately, and then resynced the two, which is why it took 4 years of restoration. You really get to hang out with The Beatles for 6 hours, like they just showed up one day. Some Ai “smear” is evident on the image, especially after watching for a while, but you can begin to pick out what shots are actually animated stills, when they are speaking but their mouth is just a vague blur is a telltale sign. Seriously, though poor Ringo, he seemed like the most mature individual, yet he had to spend all day listening to 3 of the most entitled white men on Earth complain about their first world problems. Also Yoko didn’t do anything to antagonize their split, she just sat there silently, but I liked when they let her wail, the freakout jam was great. And thank God they didn’t let Clapton join The Beatles.

Exactly exactly exactly exactly.
I’m just starting chapter 3. We have a little one year old baby and have had to watch in bits around baby’s schedule and after bedtime so we unfortunately have had to also watch at a super low volume. It’s been a mild form of torture to deny my ears the complete audio of this doc, especially with so many unreleased early songs peppered here and there. I’ll just have to rewatch in a year or two at a proper volume. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:51 PM, chenGOD said:

Defenders is all right. The first half of Season 1 of Luke Cage is excellent. Mahershala is amazing. After the first half it goes very downhill. You can skip Iron First. Jessica Jones season 1 is amazing. Not great after that. Daredevil worth going all the way through. I could not get into Punisher at all.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Exactly exactly exactly exactly.
I’m just starting chapter 3. We have a little one year old baby and have had to watch in bits around baby’s schedule and after bedtime so we unfortunately have had to also watch at a super low volume. It’s been a mild form of torture to deny my ears the complete audio of this doc, especially with so many unreleased early songs peppered here and there. I’ll just have to rewatch in a year or two at a proper volume. 

The sound is so clear, maybe wireless headphones? It’s a good one to watch on the computer I bet. I did want to hear a little more about Magic Alex, he pulled off a con job on the biggest band in history, was he ever sued? They must have lost hundreds of thousands building a studio out of oscilloscopes and oscillators, lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

The sound is so clear, maybe wireless headphones? It’s a good one to watch on the computer I bet. I did want to hear a little more about Magic Alex, he pulled off a con job on the biggest band in history, was he ever sued? They must have lost hundreds of thousands building a studio out of oscilloscopes and oscillators, lol 

Interesting to see the # of WATMMER's w/ kids these days... we're gettin' old aren't we? (not a bad thing, just an observation). .... @J3FF3R00 congrats!

Wanted to bike in to say we faced this issue w/ our little one - usually wife and I like to fall asleep to something on the tele/watch movies at night (I know, I know, terrible sleep hygiene). It took us literally a year before my wife realized that we could probably do some sort of wireless/bluetooth solution. We got one of these: 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek-universal-bluetooth-audio-receiver-and-transmitter-black/6342383.p?skuId=6342383

Did a bunch of research and this one ended working well b/c it allows for up to 2 sets of bluetooth headsets to connect and, depending on how new/good your headsets are, also is ultra low-latency (so you don't get that lag between what the person is saying/the sound). A bit finicky w/ pairing sometimes, but overall it works well. 

Total gamechanger. Now we can lie in bed and watch crappy TV without having to strain to to hear the dialogue and/or watch things w/ subtitles. Obvs mileage may vary depending on where the baby is sleeping etc. ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i’d watched S1 of Stranger Things back around when it came out, but just now watched S2 and half through S3 at the moment. both seasons have been decent, obv for what the show is, S3 seems to be at once a lot better and also a lot dumber in some key ways. but they’re quite good for a TV show which is really all you can ask for, i guess?

will need something more adult soon. isn’t there a good streaming service that does mysteries and stuff? i need some British detectives talking about murders over tea.

oh and the new season of Great British Bake-off was good fun. sorta feeling like they’re driving towards the end tho, the good contestants are walking in there already fucking pros basically

• Like 1

11 hours ago, usagi said:

Cowboy Bebop has been cancelled post-haste, Allah be praised.

ha, yeah I haven't given this netflix one a shot yet, but probably for the best. when has rebooting/converting to live action '90s anime ever worked? GITS was butchered when it became a scar jo production. Aeon Flux the same. I know the Akira movie with Dicaprio thankfully got stuck in development hell, and will never happen.

how about the Great British Jackoff and it's a bunch of middle-aged men competing to see who can edge the longest in front of judges.

9 minutes ago, zero said:

ha, yeah I haven't given this netflix one a shot yet, but probably for the best. when has rebooting/converting to live action '90s anime ever worked? GITS was butchered when it became a scar jo production. Aeon Flux the same. I know the Akira movie with Dicaprio thankfully got stuck in development hell, and will never happen.

I will probably never see the value of a live-action remake when a perfectly good anime exists. and I'm not even an anime nerd, I ignore like 90% of it barring the greats.

the one exception to this which I sometimes fantasise about seeing on big screens is a 3-hr Berserk film covering the Golden Age and Black Swordsman arcs. but in the absence of this, the 90s anime is like an aged wine still.