IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

42 minutes ago, usagi said:

how about the Great British Jackoff and it's a bunch of middle-aged men competing to see who can edge the longest in front of judges.

would run into the same problem of most contestants being pros from day one

still might watch tho

Signed up to Disney for that Beatles horseshit that I won’t be finishing. Along with The Beatles another big name that brings out the cynical grumpy toad in me is anything Star Wars post Return of the Jedi. However, unexpectedly I’m enjoying The Mandalorian. 

Also next week is the final week of Masterchef ? 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Signed up to Disney for that Beatles horseshit that I won’t be finishing. Along with The Beatles another big name that brings out the cynical grumpy toad in me is anything Star Wars post Return of the Jedi. However, unexpectedly I’m enjoying The Mandalorian. 

Also next week is the final week of Masterchef ? 

Mando is decent.  Loki is pretty deece, too: I just pretended it was a big budget Doctor Who with nice set design.  

I could maybe stomach Ringo and George chatting for a few hours, but I don't think I can watch anything that has more than two minutes of Paul in it.  JUST IN MY IMO

edit: currently watching The Great on hulu; it's pretty funny tbqh

Edited by baph
  • Like 2

Working my way through Seinfeld since it's on Netflix now.  Haven't watched in many many years.  Find myself cracking up a lot more than anything else comedic i've been watching.  Feel-good slapstick humor.

• Like 4
  • Big Brain 1

Currently watching Dopesick on Hulu, following a friend’s recommendation. Aside from Michael Keaton and the #2 FBI agent, this whole thing feels super loose. Something is fundamentally off in the direction or something but there are also numerous moments in it where the dialogue telegraphs the story pretty hard, as if they assume the viewing audience is completely stupid, kinda like  “Wait, let me get this straight. So what you’re telling is that Purdue Pharma knows Oxy is addictive???”… etc. It feels like a big long episode of Law & Order: SVU or something.

Other stuff that drives me nuts: michael stuhlbarg’s fake ass voice (I never care for him really) and Sarsgaard’s fake ass hair… plus, why is he sitting on a desk staring into space at the beginning of every scene?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Haha 1

Smashing out the episodes of The Mandalorian ? 

Enjoying all the nostalgic elements and characters from episodes IV to VI but with the new twist and the soundtrack (which is super excellent) and effects with spatial audio is also hitting the spot. Star Wars is back from the dead ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 6

On 12/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, beerwolf said:

Smashing out the episodes of The Mandalorian ? 

Enjoying all the nostalgic elements and characters from episodes IV to VI but with the new twist and the soundtrack (which is super excellent) and effects with spatial audio is also hitting the spot. Star Wars is back from the dead ?

Hopefully this is quality as well

I'm a few episodes into this anime called takt op.Destiny.  The twist here is that music is the "force" that channels powers and fights off the evil aliens or whatever they are.  The animation and music are really lovely tho.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Hopefully this is quality as well

Starting to think Ming-Na Wen might be immortal IRL

Edited by baph

I started watching Counterpart on Amazon Prime recently. Sci-Fi starring J.K. Simmons and Olivia Williams. Almost forgot about it after the first episode a couple weeks ago, but I watched the 2nd Sunday night. I was messing around on my phone too much and wasn't paying enough attention, but that just makes me wonder if I just don't like it that much. Anyone seen it and can recommend continuing or forgetting about it?

On 12/13/2021 at 2:23 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

Currently watching Dopesick on Hulu, following a friend’s recommendation. Aside from Michael Keaton and the #2 FBI agent, this whole thing feels super loose. Something is fundamentally off in the direction or something but there are also numerous moments in it where the dialogue telegraphs the story pretty hard, as if they assume the viewing audience is completely stupid, kinda like  “Wait, let me get this straight. So what you’re telling is that Purdue Pharma knows Oxy is addictive???”… etc. It feels like a big long episode of Law & Order: SVU or something.

Other stuff that drives me nuts: michael stuhlbarg’s fake ass voice (I never care for him really) and Sarsgaard’s fake ass hair… plus, why is he sitting on a desk staring into space at the beginning of every scene?

I started watching this after seeing a few clips. I concur, it's not as good as it should be. some good core elements but lots of corny direction choices.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 3:54 AM, usagi said:

I started watching this after seeing a few clips. I concur, it's not as good as it should be. some good core elements but lots of corny direction choices.

The Sackler agreement has been nullified, opening them up to a lot of new lawsuits, but it will also delay payments from the previous agreement, possibly forever.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/16/1065046057/judge-overturns-settlement-that-protected-the-sackler-family-from-opioid-lawsuit

17 hours ago, Nebraska said:

m_026212560d3ebe5d7b7bf2a34d0b10d90.jpg

this just went from okay to to "shit just got real" in one episode. impressive

I've been holding off watching this as I binge watched DEXTER at the start of December. Good to know it's high quality!!!

On 12/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, auxien said:

i’d watched S1 of Stranger Things back around when it came out, but just now watched S2 and half through S3 at the moment. both seasons have been decent, obv for what the show is, S3 seems to be at once a lot better and also a lot dumber in some key ways. but they’re quite good for a TV show which is really all you can ask for, i guess?

will need something more adult soon. isn’t there a good streaming service that does mysteries and stuff? i need some British detectives talking about murders over tea.

oh and the new season of Great British Bake-off was good fun. sorta feeling like they’re driving towards the end tho, the good contestants are walking in there already fucking pros basically

I have a slightly dimmer view of Stranger Things. In my mind, S1 was a masterpiece: On one hand it was a 80's throwback banking on nostalgia but on the other it was something completely new. Like someone just decided to completely reinvent the genre and absolutely master it at the same time. I was mesmerized the whole time watching. It was brilliant.

Seasons 2 was decent, but you could tell they were kind of running out of steam. Season 3 was just dumb. And insultingly so. I hate it *so* *much*.

I'm watching Locke and Key now, and kind of feel like that's what later seasons of Stranger Things should have been. Like, someone told me the original idea for Stranger Things was to have a new mystery every season, completely unrelated to the last one, and a completely new cast. I'd say that they should have gone with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ArtificialDisco said:

Are you kidding me? How?

Don't get me wrong the show is highly entertaining and captivating with good production value, but:

Logan quickly recovers from being mentally disabled just like that.

Kendall misses being present in a board vote (unable to force Roy out of the room and pressuring the other members) because weather.

A takeover loses Kendall's support because of a car accident.

A legal case that was supposedly a big threat is suddenly meaningless.

Everything that's built up and the source of tension throughout ends up being diffused by a chance event.

I keep thinking about that Pixar rule list for storytelling, one of them is "coincidences to get characters in trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.

dunno, maybe that's the point, that some people are just lucky and powerful but never do we see Roy being actually clever.

10 hours ago, ArtificialDisco said:

I have a slightly dimmer view of Stranger Things. In my mind, S1 was a masterpiece: On one hand it was a 80's throwback banking on nostalgia but on the other it was something completely new. Like someone just decided to completely reinvent the genre and absolutely master it at the same time. I was mesmerized the whole time watching. It was brilliant.

Seasons 2 was decent, but you could tell they were kind of running out of steam. Season 3 was just dumb. And insultingly so. I hate it *so* *much*.

I'm watching Locke and Key now, and kind of feel like that's what later seasons of Stranger Things should have been. Like, someone told me the original idea for Stranger Things was to have a new mystery every season, completely unrelated to the last one, and a completely new cast. I'd say that they should have gone with that.

i've heard some good about Locke and Key, maybe have to give it a try.

re: ST, i didn't love S1 of it quite as much as you maybe, but it was definitely very good. to me S3 captured a bit of that back but pushed a bit more extreme, playing super heavily on those 80s tropes, but using the schlocky sci-fi/horror as one of those. and because of that it knew it was being dumb and ran with it, but made it work in cute and fun way. i think that married that silliness of a lot of that decade's media with what was already working for the show. imo that was what made it a lot better than S2, where they seemed ashamed to play it up and were trying to be too straight about most of the show. i can get why it might not work for everyone tho, i think they sorta tipped their hand enough to clue me in on the joke i guess, idk. anyway, looking forward to S4, assuming it'll just drop one day in the next few months.

• Like 1