IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

I’m a couple episodes into Saul s6 and it’s feeling pretty loose.

Spoiler

I’m having a really hard time buying that Saul and Kim would go so far out of their way to take down Howard (we’re just at the point where they are trying to make it look like he has a cocaine habit).

Hopefully it will start making a bit more sense really soon… especially because we had to pay $25 to watch this season ?

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I’m a couple episodes into Saul s6 and it’s feeling pretty loose.

Hide contents

I’m having a really hard time buying that Saul and Kim would go so far out of their way to take down Howard (we’re just at the point where they are trying to make it look like he has a cocaine habit).

Hopefully it will start making a bit more sense really soon… especially because we had to pay $25 to watch this season ?

wait 4 it... :duckhunt:

• Burger 1

This was actually really cool so far. The finished FX look much better than they did in the trailer, the only weak point imo, was some of the casting. The Galadriel actress, in particular is kind of generic. There are also some poofy hairdos that will undoubtedly look dated eventually. 

Spoiler

Seeing Gandalf's divine origins and arrival helps explain his transformation from grey to white later on to the audience, having Sauron's possessed scabbard is a novel idea, and the overall plot of the series is laid out in the title. Gotta build the thing, to build the thing, to give to the guy, to try to kill us all. Also, didn't Galadriel have magical powers? She seems way too weak and human in this version. The politics of the Rings will be a great subplot as the seasons progress.

poster.jpg

7 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

This was actually really cool so far. The finished FX look much better than they did in the trailer, the only weak point imo, was some of the casting. The Galadriel actress, in particular is kind of generic. There are also some poofy hairdos that will undoubtedly look dated eventually. 

Hide contents

Seeing Gandalf's divine origins and arrival helps explain his transformation from grey to white later on to the audience, having Sauron's possessed scabbard is a novel idea, and the overall plot of the series is laid out in the title. Gotta build the thing, to build the thing, to give to the guy, to try to kill us all. Also, didn't Galadriel have magical powers? She seems way too weak and human in this version. The politics of the Rings will be a great subplot as the seasons progress.

poster.jpg

Someone needs to tell that galadriel actor she is allowed to blink.

11 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Reveal hidden contents

poster.jpg

checked it too and didn't think it was that bad, but it's also not good.

Spoiler

the FX had a few dodgy parts (eg. galadriel on the ship with her squad standing for the whole trip, only for it and everyone else to get blown up on that then for her to swim back all night then get on that raft, then for it to get destroyed by that "worm" so back in the water she went). the wolf/beast that was by that berry patch those elf kids discovered also looked like this)

besides that everyone's conversation takes the scenic route to the point, so there's tons of dialogue to hear and lots of words to get past before anything interesting takes place

So watched Rings of Power. My LOTR credentials are I read the books three times before the PJ films were released but I am no way a geek, I just enjoyed the stories. And enjoyed the two episodes. Always found the Elves rather tedious and boring, there was no change there. But the rest was good. Gandalf in particular (I presume it’s Gandalf!) was really cool. Orc/s were brilliant. Looking forward to how they will bring Sauron into the fold. Less Elf more everything else and we’re onto a winner. Maybe.

Edited by beerwolf

Forgot that the LOTR: Rings of Power debuted - will have to check it out.

Started watching For All Mankind - slow burn but good characters and an interesting storyline so far (4 episodes into the first season).

Beyond pissed that HBO cancelled Raised By Wolves.

While I'm logged on and remember has anyone watched Banshee? I read good things about it but it's not on any streaming platform (last time I checked) in the UK. Might get it on dvd if its worth it. 

New LOTR series - Went into it expecting complete shiite, but was pleasantly surprised.  Don't get me wrong - everyone saying the dialogue and the writing is atrocious are all right.   Everything else though is fantastic, the cinematography, CGI, world building.  I don't really despise the casting like some do, except for Galadriel.  This woman sucks, super wooden, no emotion at all, i don't believe her one bit, seems like she should be acting at a corner community center not this level.  Also, sorry if i sound shallow, but I don't think she's attractive enough to be Galadriel.  Cate Blanchett was an absolute show stopper in all ways.  This one though, about plain as could be.  

If you aren't sure about it after the first episode, at least give the second episode a try.  It gets pretty good!  I even got some Fellowship vibes.

• Like 1

I've been loving House of the Dragon - as a fan of the book it's everything I hoped it would be so far. A very faithful adaptation that hits all the beats of the source material, but expands it to give the characters depth and explore their personalities and motivations in a way that the book just doesn't have time for (being a history text where a few years can pass in a single paragraph). The cast is great and matches really well with my conception of the characters. And although we've only seen a couple of dragons so far it seems like they're handling them right - giving each one a distinct color, size, and personality.

I think it will fare a lot better than GoT in its later seasons too - it's a much tighter story, so it shouldn't become anywhere near as bloated with extraneous character arcs and abandoned threads. And the book gives a pretty clear roadmap for events so I'm optimistic they can avoid late-stage pacing issues.

I'll probably watch Rings of Power too, though I'm not as invested in the whole LOTR canon. The idea of these shows being pitted against each other as rivals is so pointless. They're completely different stories, and I'm glad both of them exist. Having a bunch of big-budget fantasy content in production is great.

• Like 1

Still waiting for Better Call Saul s5 to hit Netflix.

Stopped watching Stranger Things s4 a few weeks ago with 15 minutes left on the clock in the final episode.

Stopped watching Loot after 2 episodes even though we like Maya Rudolph because it just wasn't doing it for us. Too unrealistic I guess. 

Recently finished On Becoming a God in Central Florida and I Love That For You on Showtime, both of which were good.

Enjoying What We Do in the Shadows s4, Only Murders in the Building s2, Dexter New BloodBrooklyn Nine-Nine s8 (and just realized I have 4 episodes left and they expire in 12 days), The (new) Kids in the Hall, Industry s2, the new Beavis and Butt-Head s1, House of Dragons, and I just started Detroiters.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

The hobbits…..sorry Harfoots are annoying and rubbing me up the wrong way. It’s what I’d expect to see at some cheesy cheap tourist attraction or low budget LOTR theme park. Galadriel is growing on me. Orcs still great. Orc guard dog was spectacularly fucking terrible. Arondir is  my favourite character by far. Very intense, impressive. Not much happened with Gandalf this week. Still no sign of Sauron. Unfortunately.

All three episodes seem very even. Exciting bits and not so exciting bits. And then there’s the Harfoots. Hmmmm.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:12 PM, chenGOD said:

Started watching For All Mankind - slow burn but good characters and an interesting storyline so far (4 episodes into the first season).

Finished S02 yesterday night. One of the very best shows I've watched the last few years, incredible grower.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, Rubin Farr said:

99% CW teenage drama, 1% cheesy CW cult mystery 

151E656A-7B29-493C-B516-D11C8C3F8A76.jpeg

i was going to give this a go after:

oi5amdlet9981.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

this show is fun as hell. it's very cartoony, but it's A LOT of fun. like season 1 of stranger things that stayed that good and the kids didn't all become as grating as millie bobby brown

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, beerwolf said:

Galadriel is growing on me.

I wish I could say the same thing.  It's like watching a wood carving act.  Her eyes and face do not even move, just her lips when she talks.  It's like staring into the creepy eyes of an old doll.