IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

The White Lotus - stupid rich people doing stupid rich things and getting stupid outcomes. Nobody learns anything and yet it's somehow all kind of entertaining.

Shrinking - I watched the whole thing and it was good and funny and smart, but fuck if people talked to me like that I'd think I was in a neighbourhood where everybody did coke all the time.

17 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Shrinking - I watched the whole thing and it was good and funny and smart, but fuck if people talked to me like that I'd think I was in a neighbourhood where everybody did coke all the time.

It’s set in Pasadena, that checks out. 

I'm very late to the party on this one but the Castlevania series is lush - perfect comedown/hangover watching, and the sound design/voice acting is gorgeous... the colours, the art style, especially the way it handles lighting and action/motion is fantastic, am halfway through 2nd season

• Like 4

On 4/11/2023 at 3:34 AM, chenGOD said:

The White Lotus - stupid rich people doing stupid rich things and getting stupid outcomes. Nobody learns anything and yet it's somehow all kind of entertaining.

that's the best you got for one of the best TV shows that came out in recent times?

2 hours ago, usagi said:
6 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

Expand  

haven't watched this trailer but good news. I was watching s3 last night.

fuck me this is an annoying trailer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hoggy said:

I'm very late to the party on this one but the Castlevania series is lush - perfect comedown/hangover watching, and the sound design/voice acting is gorgeous... the colours, the art style, especially the way it handles lighting and action/motion is fantastic, am halfway through 2nd season

I watched this during the lock down but have been thinking of rewatching as I think I watched it too fast.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

oh btw I really liked The Last of Us... only 2 things I didn't like was the zombie design (but I never do) and this stupid cunt:

melanie.png

Glad she got munched. That was a pretty good episode.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

that's the best you got for one of the best TV shows that came out in recent times?

I mean - it was pretty average. S1 was better than S2, except of course the scenery in S2 is lush as fuck. I did laugh like fuck at the ending for S.2 when Coolidge went out the way she did. Super fitting.

What it made it one of the best TV show that came out in recent times for you?

10 hours ago, usagi said:

fuck me this is an annoying trailer.

+1

1 hour ago, cruising for burgers said:

oh btw I really liked The Last of Us... only 2 things I didn't like was the zombie design (but I never do) and this stupid cunt:

stopped watching this show after 2 episodes. zombies + apocalypse = lost me

250px-BigDoorPrizePoster.png

has anyone seen this? i actually kinda like it although i feel after 3 episodes of discussing the morpho we can move onto something else... like where does it come from or now what. especially considering the information this has on the towns folk you'd think by now they'd be tearing the thing apart and beginning to show signs of serious de-evolution. 

its like magic realism written by a chad that programs AI

Keep meaning to rewatch S1 of True Detective. I was at the tail end of a huge cocaine addiction when I watched that and was having all kinds of weird mental acrobatics, depression and nightmares. That show proper fucked with my head. Dark times.

Edited by beerwolf

On 4/13/2023 at 3:33 PM, MadameChaos said:

I watched this during the lock down but have been thinking of rewatching as I think I watched it too fast.

Yeah it’s really good balance between kitsch, gore, epic and romance  

@chenGOD white lotus - it was quite strange for what it is, was expecting a convencional drama show but was really surprised by how funny it was indeed… all the cynicism and intrigues turned the whole thing into a trippy paranoia vibe/bad trip… the plot was quite scheming as well and I was smirking smug all the time (rubbing hands), not just lolling… pretty awkward and moist vibes all around as someone posted in this thread a while back… the hypnotic blend between sound editing and those glowing visuals (photography/color grading) all neatly put together make it almost psychedelic in a way… and also those slow motions of waves, the shots underwater and the sunrise views were tasty af really setting up the perfect mood... yeah, the mood, that was basically what got me hooked and why I think this show was astonishing...

and u can't go wrong with a savage and hilarious ending like that…

and a lot of other details which I can't recall right now, will re-watch it for sure… oh and I'm only talking about s01… wasn't a big fan of s02 to be honest...

and I use and this and that several times cause I don't know how to start a sentence...

Anyway, first time I was introduced to this soundtrack composer was in the Utopia TV show... he's Cristobal Tapia de Veer and his sound is so characteristic and unique that you can guess that's him doing it miles away, lots of vocals manipulations...

• Spoiler
    • The White Lotus (Watertower Music, 2021)
    • The Third Day: Summer (Milan Records / Sony Music, 2020)
    • Philip K. Dick's: Electric Dreams (La La Land Records / 2018)
    • Black Mirror: Black Museum (Lakeshore Records, 2018)
    • The Girl with all the Gifts (Mondo, Death Waltz Records, 2017)
    • National Treasure (Free Run Artists, 2017)
    • Humans (Silva Screen Records, 2015)
    • Utopia S2 (Silva Screen Records, 2014)
    • Utopia (Silva Screen Records, 2013)
Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

@chenGOD white lotus - it was quite strange for what it is, was expecting a convencional drama show but was really surprised by how funny it was indeed… all the cynicism and intrigues turned the whole thing into a trippy paranoia vibe/bad trip… the plot was quite scheming as well and I was smirking smug all the time (rubbing hands), not just lolling… pretty awkward and moist vibes all around as someone posted in this thread a while back… the hypnotic blend between sound editing and those glowing visuals (photography/color grading) all neatly put together make it almost psychedelic in a way… and also those slow motions of waves, the shots underwater and the sunrise views were tasty af really setting up the perfect mood... yeah, the mood, that was basically what got me hooked and why I think this show was astonishing...

and u can't go wrong with a savage and hilarious ending like that…

and a lot of other details which I can't recall right now, will re-watch it for sure… oh and I'm only talking about s01… wasn't a big fan of s02 to be honest...

and I use and this and that several times cause I don't know how to start a sentence...

Anyway, first time I was introduced to this soundtrack composer was in the Utopia TV show... he's Cristobal Tapia de Veer and his sound is so characteristic and unique that you can guess that's him doing it miles away, lots of vocals manipulations...

•   Hide contents
    • The White Lotus (Watertower Music, 2021)
    • The Third Day: Summer (Milan Records / Sony Music, 2020)
    • Philip K. Dick's: Electric Dreams (La La Land Records / 2018)
    • Black Mirror: Black Museum (Lakeshore Records, 2018)
    • The Girl with all the Gifts (Mondo, Death Waltz Records, 2017)
    • National Treasure (Free Run Artists, 2017)
    • Humans (Silva Screen Records, 2015)
    • Utopia S2 (Silva Screen Records, 2014)
    • Utopia (Silva Screen Records, 2013)

Yeah, there's something really satisfying about it. Especially season one. Season two was good, but something about the way season one unfolds, characters unraveling and the way the music underlines and anticipates the drama and trajectory of the whole thing I found hugely satisfying and intriguing. Bartlett's character is a brilliant Basil Fawlty, and the ongoing skirmish between him and whatshisface (Plop from The Office) is so fuckin good. And again that theme tune ramping things up. 

There's also a tendency (in both seasons) to give the characters a nuanced personality. We're presented with a group of somewhat archetypal characters, then constantly thrown curveballs as their personalities and motives. You end up sympathizing with and resenting almost each character equally by the end of it and makes it feel like such a heady ride. And, I may be a softee here, but I found the son's story genuinely uplifting. When he fucks off from be relegated to living in the kitchenette and starts sleeping on the beach and with the canoe team and all? Good stuff. 

Looks like there's a third season on the (tropical) horizon. To be set in Thailand! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

first time I was introduced to this soundtrack composer was in the Utopia TV show

I did like the score for white lotus quite a lot - didn't realize he was the same guy as Utopia! I loved Utopia - and I just realized I don't think I watched season 2 of that, thanks for the reminder!

2 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

Bartlett's character is a brilliant Basil Fawlty, and the ongoing skirmish between him and whatshisface (Plop from The Office) is so fuckin good. And again that theme tune ramping things up. 

There's also a tendency (in both seasons) to give the characters a nuanced personality. We're presented with a group of somewhat archetypal characters, then constantly thrown curveballs as their personalities and motives. You end up sympathizing with and resenting almost each character equally by the end of it and makes it feel like such a heady ride. And, I may be a softee here, but I found the son's story genuinely uplifting. When he fucks off from be relegated to living in the kitchenette and starts sleeping on the beach and with the canoe team and all? Good stuff. 

I did like quite a lot of the characters, but found most of the storylines to be...a little pedestrian? i dunno. Like it was good, but not great?