IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Terrible spoiler on the fucking ending of Hannibal there Zero, really really terrible. There are probably people out there that haven't watched the full season yet. What a show it turned our to be this season though, so good. Best television I've seen since... eh... Riget.

I didn't see it that way since it was a vague statement. And I'm thinking there are bound to be surprises with this show...

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I walk by the building they use as the exterior shot for Hannibal's office every day going to work:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.646745,-79.385812,3a,75y,35.88h,109.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxgVU5KO80gVsJnzM28gf_Q!2e0?hl=en

Just cained Hannibal in a few seatings. Totally amazing. Same as everyone I was about to chuck it out early on in SE01.

By late SE02 I had entered a morbid mentality and was staying up all night with hannibal on and starting to think like the characters. It was horrific.

Much good.

Just cained Hannibal in a few seatings. Totally amazing. Same as everyone I was about to chuck it out early on in SE01.

By late SE02 I had entered a morbid mentality and was staying up all night with hannibal on and starting to think like the characters. It was horrific.

Much good.

I would have stopped after season 1, but... seeing there's jackshit on Friday nights, I tuned back in for season 2. If this season didn't start out with Hannibal & Jack's throw down, I may not have. Brilliant on Singer's part. He knew ratings were in the dumpster (kinda still are, think they're improving) & started off this season as strong as possible. The show, minus a few flaws, has been tits. Big tits.

Loved the opening sequence where the faces merge & Will's has got this weird droop in his face like a stroke victim. The little touches are appreciated.

Fargo:

In other news, Fargo was back on track last night. Some quality scenes last night. Some suspensions of disbelief. Shit's getting real.

Checking out Hannibal now. First episode was alright for a show that aired on NBC.

Though the reporter chick is highly annoying and really takes me out of the show.

Checking out Hannibal now. First episode was alright for a show that aired on NBC.

Trudge through season 1. Season 2 is far superior. For what they get away with on that show during season 2, I applaud NBC for sticking with it.

Much good.

Loved the opening sequence where the faces merge & Will's has got this weird droop in his face like a stroke victim. The little touches are appreciated.

Yeah, that was excellent. Also enjoyed how the nightmare logic sequences don't even lampshade themselves as nightmares anymore. Stuff like that doesn't even seem to be an option in network tv production these days. Wouldn't be surprised if NBC meddles in Season 3 to bring in ratings and ruins the show, but I am somehow optimistic for at least a few moments of full-on Lynchian surrealism in Season 3. I probably shouldn't be. But I am.

Maybe when this is inevitably cancelled next year, something like AMC will pick up the pieces and soldier on.

Edited by baph

Much good.

Yeah, that was excellent. Also enjoyed how the nightmare logic sequences don't even lampshade themselves as nightmares anymore. Stuff like that doesn't even seem to be an option in network tv production these days. Wouldn't be surprised if NBC meddles in Season 3 to bring in ratings and ruins the show, but I am somehow optimistic for at least a few moments of full-on Lynchian surrealism in Season 3. I probably shouldn't be. But I am.

Maybe when this is inevitably cancelled next year, something like AMC will pick up the pieces and soldier on.

Nightmare logic? not following. Any example to refer to?

Singer said that he had other options if NBC doesn't pick it up. Seems like a show that would be good on F/X. AMC's too wrapped up banging out Walking Dead spin offs. I've noticed more people warming up to the show & it might experience a nice boost come next season. Curious as to where they go with it from here. I really enjoyed the dynamic of Will & Hannibal playing one another. The cat & mouse of it all, and their strange kinship. Seeing next season as more of a chase set-up.

Edited by olo

Much good.

For example, the tears that are clear but somehow turn bloody when they hit the table; the drowning in dark inky water sequence with no "oh shit what a dream I just had" narrative bookend, really all of the subjective symbolic imagery (antlers, etc) that intrudes on what would typically be a linear police procedural narrative, without actually needing to be framed by the narrative in a traditional way (eg character would gaze at something, visibly lost in thought before surreal imagery fills the screen; huge unnatural color filter would cover everything to let the viewer know we're in "dream" territory; surrealism is explained by character waking up alarmed).

Basically the show is ok with occasionally letting the surrealism blend in with the straight narrative in a way that network tv doesn't usually trust the reader to follow. The way it's all edited and paced is close to Lynch territory, although the narrative itself doesn't quite bend to that dream logic the way Lynch does in, say, Inland Empire. (I may be off, but I get the sense that Fuller is holding back a little bit to maintain narrative coherence, but that maybe he doesn't quite always want to-- see, Fuller's quote:

Regarding the series' influences, Fuller stated: "When I sat down to the script, I was very consciously saying, 'What would David Lynch do with a Hannibal Lecter character? What sort of strange, unexpected places would he take this world?' I'm a great admirer of his work and his aesthetic and his meticulous sound design. Those were all components that I felt very strongly needed to be part of our Hannibal Lecter story.

)

Much good.

For example, the tears that are clear but somehow turn bloody when they hit the table; the drowning in dark inky water sequence with no "oh shit what a dream I just had" narrative bookend, really all of the subjective symbolic imagery (antlers, etc) that intrudes on what would typically be a linear police procedural narrative, without actually needing to be framed by the narrative in a traditional way (eg character would gaze at something, visibly lost in thought before surreal imagery fills the screen; huge unnatural color filter would cover everything to let the viewer know we're in "dream" territory; surrealism is explained by character waking up alarmed).

Basically the show is ok with occasionally letting the surrealism blend in with the straight narrative in a way that network tv doesn't usually trust the reader to follow. The way it's all edited and paced is close to Lynch territory, although the narrative itself doesn't quite bend to that dream logic the way Lynch does in, say, Inland Empire. (I may be off, but I get the sense that Fuller is holding back a little bit to maintain narrative coherence, but that maybe he doesn't quite always want to-- see, Fuller's quote:

Regarding the series' influences, Fuller stated: "When I sat down to the script, I was very consciously saying, 'What would David Lynch do with a Hannibal Lecter character? What sort of strange, unexpected places would he take this world?' I'm a great admirer of his work and his aesthetic and his meticulous sound design. Those were all components that I felt very strongly needed to be part of our Hannibal Lecter story.

)

Gotsa, I figured that was what you were referring to, just wanted to make sure. The whole Alana sequence in the finale blurred the lines in that way. Editing of the show in the past, they added that lame windshield wiper effect, which they've moved away from. They're making the assumption most of John Q public can decipher which is which, (but it's fine if you're not sure, adds to the viewing experience) hopefully they continue on that road. I just don't get why this non-linear story telling is such a turn off to people. The dream/nightmares are such visual eye-candy. Love that wendigo/stag/man-stag shit.

And really, the sound design deserves some kudos too.

One thing is the food in season 2 -- getting into "like regular chickens" territory in there. I've considered switching to vegetarianism a few times.

Mikklesen's perfect delivery of that little "in the pantry" line completely obliterated all memory of Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal.

Glorious.

hahahaha agreed 100%. Alana finally sees the psychotic cannibal

edity:her expression when the gun clicks...this :nacmat:

Edited by rekosn

Guest nene multiple assgasms

am I the only orphan black fan on watmm? I just did a search and came up empty. tatiana maslany is amazing.

One thing is the food in season 2 -- getting into "like regular chickens" territory in there. I've considered switching to vegetarianism a few times.

You dont want to swallow a whole duck egg fermented in whatever the fuck?

Edited by olo

I watched the first few episodes of Orphan Black, but it felt like it lacked "gravitas". I didn't like the lightweight feeling of the acting, maybe it changed in later episodes?

I really loved the first episode of Halt & Catch Fire. Definitely going to follow that.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

am I the only orphan black fan on watmm? I just did a search and came up empty. tatiana maslany is amazing.

watched about 3 and gave up

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Hello Ladies

got cancelled right? first series was ok. it's odd watching merchant because he has alot of david-brentism in him (I guess because he co-created him?) and he plays up the cringe too which is very officey. the best bits were the physical comedy where he falls into a fridge. it was hard to like him or care.

Trudge through season 1. Season 2 is far superior. For what they get away with on that show during season 2, I applaud NBC for sticking with it.

Watched about 7 episodes yesterday of season 1. Not bad - a little formulaic, and some things really don't work (like the totem pole of dead people being lifted by one dude, or the fight between hannibal and the cellist) but I'll stick with it..

i just got hip to Broad city, i love it, just finished the first season in one day the other day.

this is one of those series that is well directed and shit, they got it riht the first time and i hope to see it evolve in the future with more interesting story lines.

it's like an more interesting workaholics set in NYC with two chicks that actually get laid.

Watched about 7 episodes yesterday of season 1. Not bad - a little formulaic, and some things really don't work (like the totem pole of dead people being lifted by one dude, or the fight between hannibal and the cellist) but I'll stick with it..

The formulaic nature, assclown forensic team, etc was why I was going to abandon the show. But, season 2 is much less so. Kinda starts that way, but morphs into something much better & tighter. You still have to suspend dis-belief at Hannibal's pure omnipotents & being pretty much an expert at everything. But, I guess he wouldn't be Hannibal Lechter if not so.

The writing of this is getting so bad it's starting to seem like Twin Peaks.

The writing of what?

Surely nothing can be Nadine-Hurley-having-superhuman-strength bad?

just finished up the life and times of tim, extremely dry and chilled out, but thoroughly enjoyed it, it had really hit its stride my season 3.

tried the kroll show because i thought the league was awesome, one of the most offensively shitty comedies ive seen in a while.

Edited by messiaen