roundabouts in the US

data

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is also the "Spaghetti Junction" in Birmingham

birm_spaghetti.jpg

OSM_knooppunt_Birmingham_-_spaghetti_junction.png

The junction covers 30 acres (12 ha), serves 18 routes and includes 4 km (2.5 mi) of slip roads, but only 1 km (0.62 mi) of the M6 itself. Across 5 different levels, it has 559 concrete columns, reaching up to 24.4 m (80 ft). The engineers had to elevate 21.7 km (13.5 mi) of motorway to accommodate two railway lines, three canals, and two rivers.

Thankfully, my route through this is usually very simple, and I have only been held up a couple of times (thanks to roadworks)

Have a look at this for a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9Cx0pMsbI

If you watch it long enough, you can see the 2 biggest benefits

1. It moves way more traffic. The diamond can put many more cars in waiting and there are no left turns to wait on. Anyone familiar with a big American city knows how fucking annoying the "yield on green" left turn is. This is all you get

noleftturn.jpg

if people were smart enough to handle simple shit like this, we wouldn't even be talking about how best to cattle herd drivers.

2. People can join or leave the freeway stream easily. When shit is heavy on the freeway, you can see on/off ramps filled to the brim with people that only get to move through the kindness of other drivers. In Kansas, they finally metered the on ramps with a light so that, if it's flashing, only one car can go and merge at a time. I don't know how well that is followed. Again, the diamond takes care of all that and treats us like the sheep we truly are.

well, in the pic the stopping lights aren't visible.

Archived