IGNORED

Meshuggah - new album

Guest ansgaria

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, I kind of like the all guitar mix on Justice, gives it a bleaker tone, though really it was just an idiotic decision. I'd be curious to hear that album with the bass audible.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvwod7BBK0

The bass riff at 3:23 :emotawesomepm9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgEeTqjXMI

Stellar bass performances from Newsted!

I think the de facto elimination of him in the mix of Justice wasn't an aesthetical decision. Rather, I think it was the coced up Ulrich and Hetfield wanting to fuck with the "Newkid".

Stellar bass performances from Newsted!

I think the de facto elimination of him in the mix of Justice wasn't an aesthetical decision. Rather, I think it was the coced up Ulrich and Hetfield wanting to fuck with the "Newkid".

Oh yeah, definitely. I really want them to re-mix that album with Newsted's bass turned up. It's such a fucking prog thrash masterpiece.

God, that was boring.

sounds like mall metal tbqh

I kind of just wish the verses had more than just the guitar and bass playing the same thing -- strangely, it makes things sound empty, or like something is missing. Like it could just be one guy singing and playing guitar with an octave pedal, and another guy on drums.

yes there's almost no counterpoint at all...

what about chords??? seems like it's just a melody over a drum and some vocals...

imo, there's nothing groundbreaking neither mind-blowing in this album :(

if this "3 member" band was in fact inspired by Rush, they should have learned it better.

i'm gonna be a bit of a party pooper here, cause, guys, if you're so much into this, how can you not prematurely ejaculate on this guys?

[youtubehd]McNYx2OpGK4[/youtubehd]

second part is tight. really liked this. first is a birt underwhelming, like they were afraid to just let it lose, but it works in a context of the albums as a whole. so yeah. niiice.

Wow yeah, exactly like that! It really does warrant a release with the bass brought back into the mix. It adds a major new dimension to these songs. I lolled at the bit in blackened where the bass cuts out and it's just guitar, as before in that part there was nothing audibly different happening in the mix. He really is a top shelf bassist. I'm surprised there are so many all-finger bassists in metal, the pick adds so much more attack and sharpness to the sound. Plus it enables a bassist to match the machine-gunning bits the guitars often do much more easily. Thanks for posting those!

I actually like the original mix better -- everything else is eq'd in the same hi-pass way, so the addition of the bass sounds like an intrusion into the sonic space ... the sonic space! *cowbell*

But to be sure those bass performances are awesome. Are those really the original parts, or did someone else overdub bass onto the album and post it on YouTube?

Yeah they're the original parts cobbled together from the multitracks in Guitar Hero. Too bad it's just those two tracks and Shortest Straw though, i wish they'd included the whole album so we could have a DIY remixed version!

God, that was boring.

sounds like mall metal tbqh

I kind of just wish the verses had more than just the guitar and bass playing the same thing -- strangely, it makes things sound empty, or like something is missing. Like it could just be one guy singing and playing guitar with an octave pedal, and another guy on drums.

yes there's almost no counterpoint at all...

what about chords??? seems like it's just a melody over a drum and some vocals...

imo, there's nothing groundbreaking neither mind-blowing in this album :(

if this "3 member" band was in fact inspired by Rush, they should have learned it better.

i'm gonna be a bit of a party pooper here, cause, guys, if you're so much into this, how can you not prematurely ejaculate on this guys?

[youtubehd]McNYx2OpGK4[/youtubehd]

That was pretty great, but not really similar to Meshuggah.

I think Textures have done more with Meshuggah's sound than they could do themselves:

Thanks for posting that, modey.

I fucking hate James and Lars for that whole egotrip, even if AJFA is the only album where Lars doesn't play like a drunken amputee.

Granted, there are plenty of other reasons to hate James and Lars.

That was pretty great, but not really similar to Meshuggah.

I think Textures have done more with Meshuggah's sound than they could do themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1n62ikDaU

great?? just that?

maybe they don't have the same dress code but there's loads of similarities between both bands...

i can't stand the "alice in chains" grunge voice...

i'm not too fond of vocals in this kind of music unless they're high pitch or growling...

To be honest, I was a little put off by the excessive noodling. Alright, I get it, you use a Warr guitar/Chapman stick. JUST PLAY A MELODY, FUCK!

To be honest, I was a little put off by the excessive noodling. Alright, I get it, you use a Warr guitar/Chapman stick. JUST PLAY A MELODY, FUCK!

you mean, AAL??? how much more melodies did you want??? wtf dude

i know there's lots of noodling, but there's also melody :shrug:

Actually I think they just use 8-string guitars but play them like Warr guitars.

And yeah, I understand that they're melodic but unrestrained technical wankery doesn't really do anything for me anymore.

Back on topic though, I listened this morning. It's better than expected—still Meshuggah-by-numbers in parts but there were some nice surprises. The fast thrashy track is really nice (can't remember the title), especially the ending.

I really wish they'd incorporate more parts like the last track in their songs though! That was a great ending to the album.

• 2 years later...

Bump! Still loving this album. I keep forgetting how awesome it is until I listen to it again, though. They're really the ultimate in post-modern metal.

Demiurge is nice.

Sadly I am really picky about metal vocals and most of these just are outside of my taste range. Some good riffs though. I agree about it sounding a bit empty sometimes.

A few incredible tracks, with the solo parts on Marrow being the absolute climax - and a great reminder of the excitement and drive that the Destroy Erase Improve style had.

Production wise I think the tones of the individual instruments are exceptional, but that the mix is compressed too much and therefore gets tiring already after a couple of tracks.

Yeah, the solo in Marrow is excellent. Actually I think my favourite solo on the album is the slow descending note in the first track. Thordendal has really transformed his Holdsworth-inspired guitar technique into something unique.

Archived