IGNORED

Scotland

Guest Lady kakapo

So i was right it was demographics (in a few years independence vote would have gone the way of the yes campaign)

Salmond raised the prospect of a future referendum, which could be justified if the UK parties fail to honor their pledge. He said that in his “personal view,” a referendum could only be staged around once in every 20 years. However, “there are always things can change circumstances.”

In another interview with Sky News’ Murnaghan program on Sunday, Salmond elaborated on the issue, saying the break-up of the UK is inevitable and is only a matter of time."I mean when you have a situation where the majority of a country up to the age of 55 is already voting for independence then I think the writing’s on the wall for Westminster. I think the destination is pretty certain, we are only now debating the timescale and the method,” he said.

“I think Scots of my generation and above should really be looking at themselves in the mirror and wonder if we by majority, as a result of our decision, have actually impeded progress for the next generation which is something no generation should do.”

article

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once i have enough money saved (so i'm not a burden can buy some land and be self sustaining) i'll either migrate there or to brittany. Would be easier to speak english though, but i prefer breton bagpipes ;-p Australia is going to be an over crowded dog eat dog hyper neo liberal nightmare shanty town desertscape in 20-25 years if it keeps blindly staggering down the path that it's currently on. I always carry hope with me though. Hope and gold, in case the hope doesn't work out.

[this post was said for random musing type purposes and as such is not to be quoted out of context to carry on petty quarrels, or to demonstrate some moral superiority. Also, i don't have any gold, so don't come looking for any. If i had gold, this post would be from my mega catamaran, drifting contently somewhere in the adriatic.]

I dont actually know anyone whos been granted a visa for australia for more than 2 years, and its literally 25 times the size of scotland, i dont see it as a good place to leave because of overcrowding.

So i was right it was demographics (in a few years independence vote would have gone the way of the yes campaign)

In another interview with Sky News’ Murnaghan program on Sunday, Salmond elaborated on the issue, saying the break-up of the UK is inevitable and is only a matter of time."I mean when you have a situation where the majority of a country up to the age of 55 is already voting for independence then I think the writing’s on the wall for Westminster. I think the destination is pretty certain, we are only now debating the timescale and the method,” he said.

My reading of that is different - The ones who (were more likely) to vote Yes - were the Young who had less to lose.

As that same generation ages, gets established jobs, mortgages and family etc the will become more conservative and there vote would change, in the most, to reflect that.

This theory is backed up by the demographics in the vote - the central, more socially challanged areas had higher YES votes, again as they in general had less to lose. As the campiagning went on, it seemed to focus more on social issues (welfare, NHS etc) than actual independence. Hence the split in vote accross the classes.

Once i have enough money saved (so i'm not a burden can buy some land and be self sustaining) i'll either migrate there or to brittany. Would be easier to speak english though, but i prefer breton bagpipes ;-p Australia is going to be an over crowded dog eat dog hyper neo liberal nightmare shanty town desertscape in 20-25 years if it keeps blindly staggering down the path that it's currently on. I always carry hope with me though. Hope and gold, in case the hope doesn't work out.

Not if Abbot keeps paying off developing countries to take refugees you don't want.

Well done Australia, you've got yours, everyone else can bugger off.

As a non-Scot (English/Welshman in Canada) I wish they had voted yes. Not for any nationalist shite, but I've always thought that smaller states are almost inherently more democratic and more responsive to citizens' needs than larger ones. Smaller states also offer more room for experimentation, as if each state is a localised political experiment. More states means more experiments, and thus ideally other states can learn from eachother's experiences and the wider region can iterate towards superior systems. That might all be a bit too vague and aloof to use as the basis for one single region's independence though...

(I partly also wanted to see the whole Westminster bubble get a huge collective kick in the balls)

Archived