IGNORED

Envane

Guest RandySicko

the'chre

Am I the only one that's unpleasantly reminded of those (usually stoners) who worships "The Floyd" every time this is mentioned? Is that the point? I guess that's what I am now, just an aging fanboy of an aging, increasingly irrelevant band. Getting old is a bitch :cerious:

Guest Xenblake

I have no idea

Wouldn't have used it if i knew it conjured up such terrible images lol

And, I'm sure there are lots of young Autechre fans around, maybe even on this board?!

If you think merely saying "the 'chre" is some kind of deification of Ae, please don't read anything in the RDJ subforum.

Or any Skrillex forum.

"The 'Chre" is more like, hey I would like to tip this beer in Sean and Rob's direction, not "Oh god look at his hair look at his hair he is beautiful he is gawd" (which, interestingly, I have heard said re: RDJ and David Gilmour circa '68

david-gilmour-pink-floyd-1968.jpg

)

Edited by baph

the'chre

Am I the only one that's unpleasantly reminded of those (usually stoners) who worships "The Floyd" every time this is mentioned? Is that the point? I guess that's what I am now, just an aging fanboy of an aging, increasingly irrelevant band. Getting old is a bitch :cerious:

it was a parody of what Pitchfork had done for a recent Radiohead review, by referring to Radiohead as The 'head

Guest Xenblake

the'chre

it was a parody of what Pitchfork had done for a recent Radiohead review, by referring to Radiohead as The 'head

I remember The 'head.

the'chre is "techrer" though right, not "the krer"

that's how it sounds in my head anyway lol (techrer)

Edited by Xenblake

It's Nuane according to this

http://warp.net/reco.../chiastic-slide

of course, Warp has been wrong before

I know you have Chiastic on vinyl - pull out the LP and compare the letter U in Pule to the letter in Nuane. Also note the small but present period between the first two letters (although this may just be a part of the font design, since there's a bigger more pronounced period at the end of the title). It's easiest to see the difference on the inside sleeve where Pule is printed vertically and larger than the rest of the text. You can clearly see the "backbone" line on the U in Pule is on the right side of the letter, and even comes down to a little "foot", while the "U" in Nuane has no such line or foot. Seems pretty cut and dry to me!

It also makes a lot more sense for me (personally) to consider that Cichlisuite is all versions of Cichli, evidenced most apparently in the track Tilapia, where you can pretty easily hear the mutated melody from Cichli represented. I'm fairly certain that notable percussive elements from Cichli appear (processed) all over Yeesland as well.

Of course, this is all just like, my opinion, man. All the sound design speculation is one of the reasons that Autechre are so fantastic to listen to, for me.

Edit: Upon further close inspection of my LP, every other place in the print layout where a letter U appears, it has the line on the right side of it. Track names, band name, everything...except Nuane!

Edited by Mellow U

the'chre

I remember The 'head.

I say "the curr" or "the crr"

or

"the cuh" but the "cuh" is really short.

Edited by modey

the'chre

I remember The 'head.

I say it like modey does

I say "the curr" or "the crr"

or

"the cuh" but the "cuh" is really short.

I know you have Chiastic on vinyl - pull out the LP and compare the letter U in Pule to the letter in Nuane. Also note the small but present period between the first two letters (although this may just be a part of the font design, since there's a bigger more pronounced period at the end of the title). It's easiest to see the difference on the inside sleeve where Pule is printed vertically and larger than the rest of the text. You can clearly see the "backbone" line on the U in Pule is on the right side of the letter, and even comes down to a little "foot", while the "U" in Nuane has no such line or foot. Seems pretty cut and dry to me!

It also makes a lot more sense for me (personally) to consider that Cichlisuite is all versions of Cichli, evidenced most apparently in the track Tilapia, where you can pretty easily hear the mutated melody from Cichli represented. I'm fairly certain that notable percussive elements from Cichli appear (processed) all over Yeesland as well.

Of course, this is all just like, my opinion, man. All the sound design speculation is one of the reasons that Autechre are so fantastic to listen to, for me.

Edit: Upon further close inspection of my LP, every other place in the print layout where a letter U appears, it has the line on the right side of it. Track names, band name, everything...except Nuane!

Nuane has a little 'foot' on the inner sleeve here

DXF8B.jpg

I'm looking at it pretty closely on my end and, while I see some unevenness in the lettering itself, I still don't think it has that much of a pronounced U-shaped line when compared to Pule above it, or Calbruc on the flipside.

I'm looking at it pretty closely on my end and, while I see some unevenness in the lettering itself, I still don't think it has that much of a pronounced U-shaped line when compared to Pule above it, or Calbruc on the flipside.

then i guess you're not looking at it close enough?

The safest general characterization of the last 15 years of IDM is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Envane, Chiastic, and Cichli Suite.

Edited by Joseph

Guest Xenblake

Also, taking into account Autechre's history of word play very much like this in their track titles, is greatly in favour of Mellow U's assumption of: Nuane - Nvane - Envane.

If not anything else it's definetely a nice little linguistic linkage between the Chiastic Slide and its little offspring EP.

the 'chre was taken from some really cool review of oversteps or mot. i can't remember where it was from and google isn't helping

the 'chre was taken from some really cool review of oversteps or mot. i can't remember where it was from and google isn't helping

nope, sorry you're wrong. as i explained earlier, the 'chre was a parody of Pitchfork's usage of the term The 'head when talking about Radiohead

95% sure there's an interview i remember reading that specifically said envane was all some sort of extrapolation of one track cichlisuite... pretty sure this was on top of the same sort of loose idea of cichlisuite.

Cichlisuite = suite of Cichli remixes. But I vaguely remember this interview too and there was something funky about how they described them. I remember the phrase "mathematically related".

Shit, NM. Now I'm all confused and conflating shit too.

http://www.angelfire.com/in/eimaj/interviews/sean.booth.html[/url]]

Weidenbaum: It wasn't a traditional remix situation.

Booth: Envane?

Weidenbaum: Yeah.

Booth: It's sort of hard to explain: four tracks that came from the same basis but not in the traditional sense of it, of them being sounds. They were more like mathematical bases. We basically developed four -- we started off with the same part and developed it in four different ways but they ended up being completely different tracks. It's almost like they were just different tracks but because they started from the same basis we thought, well, fuck it, we'll call them remixes. 'Cause they're all related. But we didn't do them all at the same time. We'd sort of do a few tracks and then do one and then do a few more tracks and then do another. So, what went on in between made the tracks totally different from each another. Kinda like, just the way we wanted to do it, 'cause that way we'd have some correlated tracks that weren't literally correlated, if you know what I mean -- only to us.

Edited by sweepstakes
  • Like 1