IGNORED

Envane

Guest RandySicko

autechre EPs are the best autechre. it's where they seem to really branch out and do wild stuff.

Not only that but with a limited amount of tracks they tend to stay focused on a theme and deliver a really cohesive package: Anti, Garbage, Anvil Vapre, Envane, Cichlisuite, Gantz Graf...

Which is why I'm still butthurt about MoT, it missed both marks for the most part, although the first track is killer.

Cichlisuite = suite of Cichli remixes. But I vaguely remember this interview too and there was something funky about how they described them. I remember the phrase "mathematically related".

You mean "mechanically reclaimed"?

Yo! you always see Mr Beerwolf yapping on about Autechre, but Mr Beerwolf has never heard Envane! (dork) Somehow it's missed his radar (Autechre do have a lot of music to get through!)

Thanks to this thread I have found another 4 classic Autechre tracks that I was sleeping on. Nice one watmmers :music:

How on earth did I miss these?

Edited by beerwolf

Yo! you always see Mr Beerwolf yapping on about Autechre, but Mr Beerwolf has never heard Envane! (dork) Somehow it's missed his radar (Autechre do have a lot of music to get through!)

Thanks to this thread I have found another 4 classic Autechre tracks that I was sleeping on. Nice one watmmers :music:

How I envy you, I think I have heard everything, except for live sets

Good day to you Mr Bunkum,

Yes it's not a bad thing tbh. I think I have a few eps missing, that's all. I wasn't going to get the ep boxset as Autechre's artwork is too good to miss. I have heard these tracks but sometimes when you are youtubing loads of tracks it doesn't work, and I never realised how good they were.

Good day to you Mr Bunkum,

Yes it's not a bad thing tbh. I think I have a few eps missing, that's all. I wasn't going to get the ep boxset as Autechre's artwork is too good to miss. I have heard these tracks but sometimes when you are youtubing loads of tracks it doesn't work, and I never realised how good they were.

I hear you, youtube can be very good at ruining music.

I thinks so.

It has it's obvious advantages. Some music needs to be heard and digested properly, on good equipment. If I had some cash to spend on Autechre I would whizz through a few tracks on each ep via youtube and make my decision and go buy the original. I guess Envane never grabbed me straight away.

I proberbly had most their albums before youtube was invented lol. But their eps I have been a bit slower to pick up on.

YouTube's meteoric rise as being one of the main mediums for listening to music is as depressing to me as Spotify (which, if you understand the implications that Spotify has for the music industry, especially indie labels, then it's pretty fucking depressing).

Surely people that give a shit about music don't use it as their main consumption device? It has it's uses though. I'm afraid I am quite hooked on Spotify, especially since I upgraded so I can use the mobile app. But anything I really like on Spotify goes on my list to buy as CD/vinyls (when funds permit). I use them both to audition stuff.

I can totally understand labels not wanting to be on Spotify, it is depressing how little money they make from it.

YouTube's meteoric rise as being one of the main mediums for listening to music is as depressing to me as Spotify (which, if you understand the implications that Spotify has for the music industry, especially indie labels, then it's pretty fucking depressing).

I have to admit that I sometimes look something up on youtube if I want to listen to a particular song but can't be bothered looking through my music folder for it. I really should organise my collection a little better. itunes is helping, tbh.

Guest Rogueofmv

Yeah, 1997 was a boss year for æ

Envane is literally flawless, Chiastic Slide is a killer underdog album in their discography, and the evolution of Cichli into Cichlisuite well foreshadows the sounds they would play around with on LP5, which blows my mind to a degree.

My favorite track on Envane is Goz Quarter. Takes me to a higher plane.

I have no idea

Wouldn't have used it if i knew it conjured up such terrible images lol

And, I'm sure there are lots of young Autechre fans around, maybe even on this board?!

17 year old Ae fanboy reporting in. Also: first post, hello.

My God, you were born the year Amber was released, I feel old.

Hello btw

Guest Arctandem

"Nvane" theorists: Envane came out January 97, Chiastic February. It doesn't completely invalidate the idea, but it's definitely not the same process as Cichlisuite, which came out 6 months after Chiastic. If it's derivational, it's possibly the reverse--Nuane would be the culmination of all 4 Envane tracks.

Or, since it was all released around the same time, maybe it's all a jumble of concurrent work?

I want for it to be related, but I don't hear it. Cichlisuite was pretty clear-cut with its samples.

Booth: It's sort of hard to explain: four tracks that came from the same basis but not in the traditional sense of it, of them being sounds. They were more like mathematical bases. We basically developed four -- we started off with the same part and developed it in four different ways but they ended up being completely different tracks. It's almost like they were just different tracks but because they started from the same basis we thought, well, fuck it, we'll call them remixes. 'Cause they're all related. But we didn't do them all at the same time. We'd sort of do a few tracks and then do one and then do a few more tracks and then do another. So, what went on in between made the tracks totally different from each another. Kinda like, just the way we wanted to do it, 'cause that way we'd have some correlated tracks that weren't literally correlated, if you know what I mean -- only to us.

At no point does this say they are remixes of one track. That they are four related tracks that they though they just decided to call remixes because they started from the same basis.

Now... "basis" could mean "a track" but I don't think so, they're not speaking very abstractly in any other part of the interview so why would they suddenly say-one-thing-but-mean-another?

they're not speaking very abstractly in any other part of the interview so why would they suddenly say-one-thing-but-mean-another?

Thus is the nature of AE!