IGNORED

The Bug - Angels & Devils

Redruth

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Self-Titled have just put up an article about the collabortators for the next Bug album which is to be released sometime this year. Right now the announced guests are:

Gonjasufi

Daddy Freddy

Flowdan

Warrior Queen

Death Grips

Grouper

Justin Broadrick (the return of Techno Animal?)

If all this is true, I can't fucking wait to hear it.

• 7 months later...
Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Some more news on this, The Bug has set up a subsidary label on Ninja Tune called Acid Ragga, where he'll be show casing a series of 7" singles. The first one, Can't Take This No More, is already up for pre-order on ninjatune.net.

Album wise, the title has been announced as Angels & Devils, but no release date has been set yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Self-Titled have just put up an article about the collabortators for the next Bug album which is to be released sometime this year. Right now the announced guests are:

Gonjasufi

Daddy Freddy

Flowdan

Warrior Queen

Death Grips

Grouper

Justin Broadrick (the return of Techno Animal?)

If all this is true, I can't fucking wait to hear it.

Dis gon be good.

Death Grips

Grouper

Justin Broadrick

interesting

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I think so. Aside from a couple of tunes The Bug ain't much cop is he? That above song is totally interchangable with most other stuff he's done :S

Well they mostly seem to consist of that Skeng bass with varying amounts of fuss, all pitched really low and have the old dub noise snare going on. Don't get me wrong I love that sound, but he varies too little to keep my interest, especially over album length. I love Skeng, Stampin' (and Poison Dart) and Ganja, but after that I'm spent.

No disrespect obv :)

• 2 months later...

Was not expecting Danny Brown collaborating with The Bug, but it works:

http://youtu.be/Go6htRkZy5Q

Well they mostly seem to consist of that Skeng bass with varying amounts of fuss, all pitched really low and have the old dub noise snare going on. Don't get me wrong I love that sound, but he varies too little to keep my interest, especially over album length.

I think, intentionally or not, that really reflects the dancehall and dub ethos. I can never get enough of old 70s and 80s dub and reggae but when I look at it objectively, the whole riddim concept and re-hashing of old songs into various dubs is a bit ridiculous. Yet I love it. I suppose acid and shoegaze and other very distinct genres are the same way - a lot of creativity and appeal but within very specific parameters. I understand completely getting bored/tired of it.

Archived