IGNORED

Lorn - Ask The Dust

Guest Backson

you love lorn as much as me, so that is a sure bet usagi. you will not be disappointed.

I need to get me one of those bad ass black lorn tshirts now. fanboy mode in full effect.

Yeah but they're all sold out. I hope there will be some new ones with the album coming out.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest trananhhung

I find it pretty bad. The melodies are so basic. I liked Nothing else and None an island, but this is so, again, basic. The voices are annoying and the BASIC beats never punch. The last track is OK. The Gun too, despite the "singing".

Guest Backson

I find it pretty bad. The melodies are so basic. I liked Nothing else and None an island, but this is so, again, basic. The voices are annoying and the BASIC beats never punch. The last track is OK. The Gun too, despite the "singing".

I would call this a step up from Nothing Else in terms of melodies, far from basic.

Your critique of the beats could be constructed into a valid point, although I think calling beats that "never punch" basic is a flawed arguement. Heavy beats can be basic as fuck.

Actually I think the point with the basic melodys also applies to Nothing Else. That's why I'm not a big fan of this guy, though he has some very interesting textures and stuff going on. But the big, almost pop music sounding melodys really annoy me (also in the interview, Warp asks about that).

to me the beats hit really hard and the melodies are a leap up as well. I love the vocal treatments, they become another instrument and melody layer. some of the vocals remind me of the first puscifer album, treatment-wise.

Guest trananhhung

Well if you're using voices so processed that they become another instrument, just use another instrument ffsk. Mind you, I only listened to it once, but after listening over and over to an album from this experimental jazz band called radiation 10 and then being exposed to these bland hip-hop beats with freaky reverbed 3 note melodies and spoken-wordy-terrible-rapping voices I just could perceive it as a letdown. Yes, it's crunchy, but so goddam square and formulaic. Not a single wind of freshness.

Guest trananhhung

I'm not pissing on anyone's parade, really. I really liked his previous work. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt when I get home.

Guest trananhhung

Listening to Ghosst... Boring! Could be the instrumental to a Nelly Furtado song produced by Timbaland. And what's with that midrange drone stuff that sounds exactly like the midrange drone-ambient arrangements from Clark?

Mercy is OK.

Weigh Me Down sounds like one of those trip-hop side projects from guys who have worked with Nine Inch Nails and tried a solo career, and failed!

"This" is something played with reverb, reversed and reverbed again. The proper definition of a filler.

Diamond starts with something I personally hate, downshifted vocals. THEY NEVER WORK. It's just terrible. Track goes nowhere and keeps the same one note-two note motif. And now comes the 3 note synth intermission. Fade to black. Beat comes again on top of 3 note synth intermission. Spacey. Cheesy. Boring. 808 hi-hats left panned. So modern, so déjà vu.

I'm going to make dinner.

P.S. I'm deleting every track except The Gun and Ghos s(t)s < and wtf does s(t)s mean? Yeah, we get it, there's a melody here from the 2nd track. How criptic...

Guest trananhhung

your posts in this thread are boring.

Ask the Dust is one of the albums of the year.

IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN!

Sorry for being honest. Yeah, album the year! Really think about that.

your posts in this thread are boring.

Ask the Dust is one of the albums of the year.

IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN!

bro hug

I think you will like a lot of this trooner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up the vinyl of this today, gone straight for the free download code and will be spinning the discs one evening this week when the missus it out :emotawesomepm9::music:

Was really impressed with "Nothing Else" and enjoyed his support show for Amon Tobin. Ninja Tune have done well out of me lately...

• 3 weeks later...

this is so damn good. still getting better.

i wish there was a place to get all his remixes and random tracks. there is a bunch of stuff scattered about.

also drugs part 4 comes next week.

also drugs part 4 comes next week.

whoa, totally missed the news. this is the biggest problem I've had with quitting facebook, I'm no longer up on a bunch of music news. Lorn had a pretty good presence on FB. I ended up using it more to keep track of artists like that than keeping track of my friends.

I'm in your butt

You want to die

d-d-d-CH-d-d

d-d-d-CH-d-d

d-d-d-CH-d-d

Twitter?

Archived