IGNORED

Lone - Galaxy Garden

Guest ruiagnelo

Mine finally arrived today!! So happy right now!

Bleep dudes, if you're reading this, can't you dispatch American preorders a few days earlier than your domestic ones? It kind of sucks getting my stuff so long after release day.

post-7591-239830_thumb.jpg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on, HMV Japan mentions:

First Press Limited Novelty: MIX-CDR

MIX-CDR (40 minutes)

The number of novelty is very limited.

*goes into further credit card debt*

Hang on, HMV Japan mentions:

First Press Limited Novelty: MIX-CDR

MIX-CDR (40 minutes)

The number of novelty is very limited.

*goes into further credit card debt*

That's interesting. I got my copy at Tower Records. HMV probably has a separate promotion for the album.

I'm not that big a Lone fan so I doubt I'll bother buying another copy for the Mix CDR (assuming it hasn't already sold out).

Guest Fatcaesar

First listening right now, on track 5 started now, this album so far rocks my socks! IT'S FUCKING GOOD!

Could someone confirm if bleep LP comes with the CD as well?

It does. Got mine from them. But I think it would be the same no matter where you purchase it.

Guest Jenga

Great! Thanks. Just ordered. Also, could anyone hit me with the "Wildlife Propeller" track as well?

Guest sirch

Great! Thanks. Just ordered. Also, could anyone hit me with the "Wildlife Propeller" track as well?

yeah.. and that second Japan bonus track, pleeasse

Guest sirch

The second one is on crystal caverns 1991 ep i think

ahh! cool. thanks for the heads up.

The bonus tracks are amazing, the one from the EP is in heavy rotation since it came out.

Against all the praise this LP gets here, I have to say, I really had higher expectations. I really like the new LP, great to have more Lone tracks, but I was really hoping for a bigger shift in his music making. Some melodies lack the typical Lone madness, there is not much experimentation, some tracks go on for ever while interesting parts are way to short and sound like weak remakes of old tracks from him. Just wanted to say, don't get me wrong, I love Lone :emotawesomepm9:

Guest ruiagnelo

i am kinda disappointed with reviews of this record. sure Lone isn't stepping into uncharted territory, but his progression has been made of subtleties. Just listen to Ecstasy and Friends and then Echolocations, and see how it has changed (i won't say it improved, but changed) in so little interval of time. but i can accept the fact that people won't like Lone to be hitting the same principles in music over and over. but i just find it weird how every single review rates the tracks with Machinedrum as the best. Travis is a great musician, and goes really well with Lone, but there is so much more to Galaxy Garden than these two tracks. It has a unique, fresh sound and it is a very emotional record. i don't care about reviews anyway, but it's just too bad that this record got so much hype

Guest sirch

the machinedrum collabs are my least favorite on the album, and the least likeable, imo. i don't rate his voice much at all.. prefer his early stuff really.

Guest ruiagnelo

the machinedrum collabs are my least favorite on the album, and the least likeable, imo. i don't rate his voice much at all.. prefer his early stuff really.

they are very good. i love the way vocals are treated in relation to rhythm and the instrumental, both in the Machinedrum tracks and the Anneka one. But damn, the whole album is just explosive!

Guest cult fiction

I love the Bytes comparisons, I hadn't considered it before but yes this does give some of the same goosebumps as Bytes.

Now I need to go listen to Object Orient and 3/4 Heart...

i am kinda disappointed with reviews of this record. sure Lone isn't stepping into uncharted territory, but his progression has been made of subtleties. Just listen to Ecstasy and Friends and then Echolocations, and see how it has changed (i won't say it improved, but changed) in so little interval of time. but i can accept the fact that people won't like Lone to be hitting the same principles in music over and over. but i just find it weird how every single review rates the tracks with Machinedrum as the best. Travis is a great musician, and goes really well with Lone, but there is so much more to Galaxy Garden than these two tracks. It has a unique, fresh sound and it is a very emotional record. i don't care about reviews anyway, but it's just too bad that this record got so much hype

Reviews seem pretty positive. They're not going to rave about an electronic album unless it's miserable, minimalistic, or tinged with irony so they can feel cool while listening to it.

NooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo

I guess it's not too surprising considering Pitchfork picked the album up but still.

Guest cult fiction

Thank god the internet has shattered the old guard media's dusty iron grip so that we can have brilliant new voices like this reviewer explain this album to us.

I don't think this was posted yet, but for those of you who want to go further in depth, there's a great review/interview up on Dummy Mag.

A few excerpts:

"I was well into computer games when I was little and I loved the music on them because it was so like rave. Hardcore and rave was the first music I ever really felt connected to because it wasn’t too far removed from the music from those games. It was electronic, reactive, euphoric – it made sense to me."

And on working with vocals:

The tracks As A Child and Spirals feature vocals from Machinedrum and Aneeka, and they are lovely examples of how the voice can be woven into sound in unexpected ways. Working with singers has been a first for him too, and the end results prove how he’s felt about vocalists for a while now. "This is the first time I’ve used raw human vocals. I’ve used samples before, sure, for spoken words and things like that, but this is the first time I’ve recorded vocals for a track. For electronic music, more than other genres, I think the human voice is basically just another instrument to be played around with. I couldn’t give two shits about what people are actually saying on the track, and I don’t like too many vocal things in any kind of music really. One of my favourite bands is Radiohead, and the thing with Thom Yorke for me is that it really doesn’t matter what he’s saying at all. His voice works in the same way that a lead synth melody would work, and it’s one of the best sounds in the world, really. I kinda wanted that extra element. You can’t get any instrument to sound like the human voice."

Full article here: http://dummymag.com/features/2012/05/04/lone-interview-i-had-no-idea-about-clubs-or-ecstasy-or-anything-like-that-i-just-thought-the-music-sounded-insane/

Archived