IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Macca

i would like to have it but it's probably the least suited album for vinyl as it's sleepy ambient and you have to get up to flip it

You don't have 3 record player that have timer and they automatically flip the side when its done?? you are not a tru fan man.

tebowing-3.jpg

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't care that it's sourced from the CD. was probably recorded straight to dat anyway oscillik... 48 vs 44.1 oh no

but missing the track that made people want the vinyl in the first place seems like a wasted opportunity

I agree about the CD thing - that doesn't matter. The music was pretty lo-fi to begin with anyway, and much like 85-92, that's where a lot of the charm is for me.

the only vinyl version of this that is worth getting hold of is the black vinyl pressing. all of warp's coloured vinyl sounds like complete shit.

I bought my coloured version off a man in the street for a tenner (seriously - was a heavy weird story about this chap and a tiny note which just said "SAW II" on a piece of paper with a phone number that I rang... this guy was a collector that bought doubles everytime... shame I lost his number since he was claiming to have lots of BOC I wanted amongst other things....)

sadly I can attest that the sound quality/mastering on this just isn't that great :( (no loss to me though besides ten pounds which really is fuck all, I don't mind having it either :) )

shame this is a re issue from the CD, zero fucking point in getting this then :( (mainly because it's missing Stone in Focus as well. Another blow...)

that's cool, it's your money you're wasting.

Seriously, wasting? On something that is literally hundreds of dollars cheaper than the barely available original pressing, and sounds as good as I know my current CDs do.

I really think I could do a lot worse.

Additionally I'll say that this is no different than Jackpot pressing Jandek's Ready For The House to an LP using the CD version as source. That was done 100% officially and only served to provide that music on that format when the original pressing was (and still is) nearly impossible to find and goes for hundreds.

Seriously, wasting? On something that is literally hundreds of dollars cheaper than the barely available original pressing, and sounds as good as I know my current CDs do.

says the guy that spends millions of pounds a year on "underground electronica"

you both completely miss the point. that being:

if it's sourced from CD, and is indeed missing the track that is vinyl only, what is the point in buying this if you already have it on CD?

also, YO303, who's dupe are you?

if it's sourced from CD, and is indeed missing the track that is vinyl only, what is the point in buying this if you already have it on CD?

Yeah i agree, i thought you were saying it was not woth buying the coloured original pressings,

The sad thing is that the "Come to Daddy" fans will buy the shit out of this.

And how is that sad? I got into RDJ through Come to Daddy, bought SAW85-92 and didn't look back. Are you saying he's reached his fan quota?

The point for me is simple - when any record comes out that I would want to own, vinyl is always my first choice. The idea that, for example, the audio on the Lego Feet reissue vinyl will be the same as the CD I already own doesn't bother me at all. SAW II would be no different.

And yes I understand one of the best tracks is missing, but that is still a minor flaw in what will otherwise be a fantastic album to have on this format, at long last, and for only $30.

Guest texan whip

Can someone explain to me why Warp seemingly refuse to re-release some of the old classic vinyl from their back catalogue. There's certainly a high demand for stuff like SAWII and the label would surely make a mint. Is it something to do with contracts and the artists themselves being unhappy with re-issues?

Can someone explain to me why Warp seemingly refuse to re-release some of the old classic vinyl from their back catalogue. There's certainly a high demand for stuff like SAWII and the label would surely make a mint. Is it something to do with contracts and the artists themselves being unhappy with re-issues?

They have been re-releasing a lot of AFX's early work lately (from other labels). I guess WARP are waiting for a new AFX release, most people forgot about this guy once the new shit comes out it will be a re-release Stravaganza

i would like to have it but it's probably the least suited album for vinyl as it's sleepy ambient and you have to get up to flip it

Good point Yek but for me this is why the vinyl works, as I find the cd version too long and after a while my interest wavers. The vinyl I play much more often as I enjoy a half a dozen tracks, it's also cool as when I get the vinyl from the sleeve I never really know what tracks I am getting (I have never been arsed to learn what pictures are which tracks). So every time it's a bit of a mystery, and seeing as this album is the most mysterious music to my ears, it works this way for me. I am not sure I find some of this album sleepy ambient either, a lot of it's too sinister for me.

Not picking you apart Brother Yek, but it's interesting too see how other Aphex fans approach his music in different ways.

Good point Yek but for me this is why the vinyl works, as I find the cd version too long and after a while my interest wavers. The vinyl I play much more often as I enjoy a half a dozen tracks, it's also cool as when I get the vinyl from the sleeve I never really know what tracks I am getting (I have never been arsed to learn what pictures are which tracks). So every time it's a bit of a mystery, and seeing as this album is the most mysterious music to my ears, it works this way for me. I am not sure I find some of this album sleepy ambient either, a lot of it's too sinister for me.

Not picking you apart Brother Yek, but it's interesting too see how other Aphex fans approach his music in different ways.

:music:

So now there will be yet another version for collectors to get... not the original vinyl, not the brown vinyl, not the US CD with #3 left off, not the UK CD with #19 left off...

I hope they use the original plates for the sleeve - nothing looks worse than rescanned printed artwork...

that same point as buying something hardcopy if you've downloaded the files? to have a nice physical manifestation of music you really like?

the missing track is a bummer but the CD-source seems like a non-event. i doubt any 90s aphex was recorded in any way superior to CD-quality in the first place so what's the difference? autechre were still recording at CD-quality until at least draft....

Well considering that this seems to be an unauthorised reissue, I would hazard a guess that they won't even master it properly for vinyl anyway. So yeah, I would consider it a complete waste of money

The sad thing is that the "Come to Daddy" fans will buy the shit out of this.

And how is that sad? I got into RDJ through Come to Daddy, bought SAW85-92 and didn't look back. Are you saying he's reached his fan quota?

yeah, how can buying a great album be a bad thing?

that same point as buying something hardcopy if you've downloaded the files? to have a nice physical manifestation of music you really like?

the missing track is a bummer but the CD-source seems like a non-event. i doubt any 90s aphex was recorded in any way superior to CD-quality in the first place so what's the difference? autechre were still recording at CD-quality until at least draft....

Well considering that this seems to be an unauthorised reissue, I would hazard a guess that they won't even master it properly for vinyl anyway. So yeah, I would consider it a complete waste of money

What points towards this being an unauthorized release?

Archived