IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Macca

The vinyl artwork doesn't have the terrible large dot pattern like the CD printings do...

useful info!

but I just realised that the majority of commercial scanners are too small to accommodate the sleeve for a 12" :(

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vinyl artwork doesn't have the terrible large dot pattern like the CD printings do...

useful info!

but I just realised that the majority of commercial scanners are too small to accommodate the sleeve for a 12" :(

if someone scanned the parts I could easily stich them in photoshop. 300dpi should do

is the vinyl artwork much betten than this CD scan?

anyone willing to scan in hires so I can have a decent wallpaper?

aphex_twin_-_1994_selected_ambient_works_volume_ii_cd2.jpg

I always wondered if the logo was photoshopped in or if they did really build it

I always assumed it was Photoshopped (effects like this were a bit harder to pull off in 1994 (ah, channels and masks), but certainly do-able), but they could have stenciled the logo onto a concrete wall or stone surface.

yeah why photoshop it when you can do it real. I never thought it was real but if you take a look at the details it would have been much easier to just do it instead of a photoshop

useful info!

Well, the actual width is 12", but the height is less if you just want to capture the photo area sans the top and bottom white areas...

useful info!

if someone scanned the parts I could easily stich them in photoshop. 300dpi should do

Yeah, certainly do-able.

aphex_twin_-_1994_selected_ambient_works_volume_ii_cd2.jpg

I always wondered if the logo was photoshopped in or if they did really build it

I always assumed it was Photoshopped (effects like this were a bit harder to pull off in 1994 (ah, channels and masks), but certainly do-able), but they could have stenciled the logo onto a concrete wall or stone surface.

yeah why photoshop it when you can do it real. I never thought it was real but if you take a look at the details it would have been much easier to just do it instead of a photoshop

Also, recall that Richard did all the photography work himself - I could easily see him stenciling the logo onto a stone wall and taking the photograph, as he did for all the track names, as well has the credits he etched onto the bottom of that synth for the liner notes.

Got an email from the store selling this today - they wanted to let me know it will ship a week before March 6th. Looking forward.

Of course, it's nice to know that if, for whatever reason, I'm unhappy with the quality of this thing, I will likely have no problem at all reselling it for the same cash I paid for it. It was also a nice feeling to pay for British electronic music, new, with Media Mail shipping.

Hmm, think I might do the same. I've had the original on my discogs wantlist for a ciyoke of years now and I can't imagine ever spending ~$200 for a copy. I've just ordered the reissue of Mark Hollis' solo album as well for exactly this reason.. plus it looks lush as fuck.

I always definitely thought the front cover was Richard's photo of his own physical stencil. It doesn't seem to fit that he'd go to the effort

of creating photos to represent each track and then use a computer program to create the main front cover. Nothing about it seems to be obviously photoshopped, the texture would be painstaking to get right I reckon, for 1994, it blends too well.

The feel is a 35mm SLR shot through and through and is the easier, more convincing option.

That reproduction is pretty disappointing certainly, you'd think they'd have used a simple descreen function to avoid the dot syndrome.

It looks more like leather. Very thick and very worn leather. The aphex symbol looks scratched etched in, but not all the way, but digitally retouched to make the symbol complete.

It looks more like leather. Very thick and very worn leather. The aphex symbol looks scratched etched in, but not all the way, but digitally retouched to make the symbol complete.

i'm pretty sure it's just a graffiti on the wall. you can see the paint splatter.

i'm pretty sure it's just a graffiti on the wall. you can see the paint splatter.

2l7Ui.jpg

If you don't see the obvious leather pattern here, you either have eyesight problems or you've never seen leather. It also looks vaguely like a torn up vinyl dashboard, which often have the pattern of leather pressed in to give it a more realistic feel.

2l7Ui.jpg

If you don't see the obvious leather pattern here, you either have eyesight problems or you've never seen leather. It also looks vaguely like a torn up vinyl dashboard, which often have the pattern of leather pressed in to give it a more realistic feel.

I just googled this and it really makes sense:

f0Byc.jpg

This is how worn leather looks like I even found a tutorial: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8660608_press-leather.html

Archived