IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Macca

Great news - I got an email back from Paul Nicholson (creator of the Aphex Twin logo and typeface, as well as being the principal designer on Selected Ambient Works Volume II - I had asked about the origins of the album cover, how it was created, etc. and he was kind enough to reply:

In regard to the cover image of Selected Ambient Work II, this is a photo taken by either Richard, or Sam, his girlfriend at the time. None of the images would have been photoshop'd. All the shots were taken in sepia tone and, pretty much what you see is what was shot. The cover itself was, as you suggested, is the logo scratched in to leather. If memory serves, it was a travel case that Richard used at the time.

Back then, I did not have a scanner. Remember, it was 1993 and a scanner would set you back a couple of grand. When the artwork was delivered to the printer, all the photos were numbered with their position marked on a mock-up. The printers would have scanned in all the photos and dropped them in to the correct 'track' location. Warp and myself, were sent proofs from which minor changes were made. I may still have some of those proofs.... Somewhere!!

So, finally the mystery is solved - the leather theory was right!

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got an email back from the shopholder that included the related liscensing information. It appears this is a repress licensed by Sire records.

All songs written by Richard D. James © Chrysalis Songs (BMI). All rights administered by BMG Rights Management (US) LLC.

℗&© 1994 & 2012 Sire Records Company. Produced under license from Sire Records Company. Manufactured by Rhino Entertainment Company, a Warner Music Group Company. All Rights Reserved. Made in the U.S.A. Marketed by International Feel LLC. 1972 PO Box 11444 Oakland California 94611 USA

Even missing a track, I have to say Rhino pressings are really very very good. Look forward to it regardless.

thanks so much for the info so I will buy this

Great news - I got an email back from Paul Nicholson (creator of the Aphex Twin logo and typeface, as well as being the principal designer on Selected Ambient Works Volume II - I had asked about the origins of the album cover, how it was created, etc. and he was kind enough to reply:

In regard to the cover image of Selected Ambient Work II, this is a photo taken by either Richard, or Sam, his girlfriend at the time. None of the images would have been photoshop'd. All the shots were taken in sepia tone and, pretty much what you see is what was shot. The cover itself was, as you suggested, is the logo scratched in to leather. If memory serves, it was a travel case that Richard used at the time.

Back then, I did not have a scanner. Remember, it was 1993 and a scanner would set you back a couple of grand. When the artwork was delivered to the printer, all the photos were numbered with their position marked on a mock-up. The printers would have scanned in all the photos and dropped them in to the correct 'track' location. Warp and myself, were sent proofs from which minor changes were made. I may still have some of those proofs.... Somewhere!!

very interesting thanks for the effort.

RRy2V.jpg

I got an email back from the shopholder that included the related liscensing information. It appears this is a repress licensed by Sire records.

All songs written by Richard D. James © Chrysalis Songs (BMI). All rights administered by BMG Rights Management (US) LLC.

℗&© 1994 & 2012 Sire Records Company. Produced under license from Sire Records Company. Manufactured by Rhino Entertainment Company, a Warner Music Group Company. All Rights Reserved. Made in the U.S.A. Marketed by International Feel LLC. 1972 PO Box 11444 Oakland California 94611 USA

Even missing a track, I have to say Rhino pressings are really very very good. Look forward to it regardless.

thanks so much for the info so I will buy this

very interesting thanks for the effort.

RRy2V.jpg

J crew becomes idm.

• 2 months later...

I saw a bunch of very legit looking SAW II vinyl represses today at Amoeba, though the catalog number was different; something like 'if 66'.

Also, very interesting conjecture goin down in this thread!

So, something magical happened to me today while preparing lunch for myself(black beans & brown rice). I was taking the garbage out, and as I opened the door, this re-issue of SAW2 plopped down on the floor infront of me. I was startled to see an obvious record package sitting there, because I had totally forgotten about this since I pre-ordered it months ago. I saw the midiheaven logo on the package and it hit me.

I remembered what it was, and got a nice big smile knowing I finally had a copy of this on vinyl. All sorts of elation filled me and I leaned up against my screen door and stared at the package. And then bam! A fucking wasp stung me right on my left ass cheek. It must have been chilling on my screen door and there I was smothering it with my butt. It stings, even now an hour later. But because of the circumstances, it is a good sting. And one I will probably never forget.

I'll report back after listening.

So, something magical happened to me today while preparing lunch for myself(black beans & brown rice). I was taking the garbage out, and as I opened the door, this re-issue of SAW2 plopped down on the floor infront of me. I was startled to see an obvious record package sitting there, because I had totally forgotten about this since I pre-ordered it months ago. I saw the midiheaven logo on the package and it hit me.

I remembered what it was, and got a nice big smile knowing I finally had a copy of this on vinyl. All sorts of elation filled me and I leaned up against my screen door and stared at the package. And then bam! A fucking wasp stung me right on my left ass cheek. It must have been chilling on my screen door and there I was smothering it with my butt. It stings, even now an hour later. But because of the circumstances, it is a good sting. And one I will probably never forget.

I'll report back after listening.

Ah thats great to hear. I did order it some month back and it should be shipping to me now any day. Do you mind to post some pictures or give a more detailed information about cover artwork (does it look ok / scanned from cd?) and quality of the pressing

I am skeptical about the quality of this repress. Anyone with a decent system/turntable, a full report would be appreciated.

I will as soon as I have received mine

As someone who actually RETURNED the brown vinyl version because the quality was so rubbish (should of kept it for ebay, never mind), I'm very tempted by this. Shame there's no Stone in Focus though.

Guest mose

I think I am misunderstanding the current situation, because I can't understand why this is being called a bootleg.

If this is a US re-release, licensed by the record company(Sire, a division of Warner Brothers) that has rights to this album, and produced by another division of Warner Brothers(Rhino), I don't get calling it a bootleg.

yeah topic title is wrong its a repress of the cd release on vinyl. still I would love to see some photos of how it actually looks in real life

I thought Warp confirmed it as a boot?

But it seems others have confirmed it as legitimate... that's a big "oops" on Warp's part, in that case!

For as I know, Sire/Warner is Richard's Record Company in the States and they exclusively sell his records under the Aphex Twin moniker. from the "Groove" Interview 2001:

As you started working with WARP you signed a contract for six albums, right?

"I should have given them two or three albums - I can't remember. Before I gave this album

to them I said: 'When I am going to give you this album, you have to let me go." (laughs)

I thought they would say: 'No fucking way. We sue you!'"

What does that mean?

"I didn't give them an album in 3 years now. I told them: 'OK, I give you an double album

but then you have to let me release my other stuff on my own label.' And they just said:

'OK'. I also tried to talk to Warner Bros (Richard's record label in Japan and the US) as

well but they weren't that easy to persuade. I told them something like: 'I want to do

Aphex Twin on Rephlex.". But they just said: 'No way. we bought you, we own you.' We

discussed it a lot. I said: 'If you don't say yes you ain't getting anything in future

from me.' And they said: 'Alright, then we just don't get anything from you.' I'm allowed

to use AFX on Rephlex so I just focus on this."

I don't think Warner has to ask Warp for re-releasing his Stuff...

For as I know, Sire/Warner is Richard's Record Company in the States and they exclusively sell his records under the Aphex Twin moniker. from the "Groove" Interview 2001:

As you started working with WARP you signed a contract for six albums, right?

"I should have given them two or three albums - I can't remember. Before I gave this album

to them I said: 'When I am going to give you this album, you have to let me go." (laughs)

I thought they would say: 'No fucking way. We sue you!'"

What does that mean?

"I didn't give them an album in 3 years now. I told them: 'OK, I give you an double album

but then you have to let me release my other stuff on my own label.' And they just said:

'OK'. I also tried to talk to Warner Bros (Richard's record label in Japan and the US) as

well but they weren't that easy to persuade. I told them something like: 'I want to do

Aphex Twin on Rephlex.". But they just said: 'No way. we bought you, we own you.' We

discussed it a lot. I said: 'If you don't say yes you ain't getting anything in future

from me.' And they said: 'Alright, then we just don't get anything from you.' I'm allowed

to use AFX on Rephlex so I just focus on this."

I don't think Warner has to ask Warp for re-releasing his Stuff...

AFAIK, Warner no longer releases any of Richard's material in the US or Japan. DrukQs was the last release - 26 Mixes for Cash didn't come out on a US label.

SAW II also had the (in)famous distinction of selling so poorly in the US an internal Warner memo said that any ambient releases need upper management approval before being greenlit for release.

Archived