IGNORED

Dayvan Cowboy video

Guest fox

Guest chromakey_dreamcoat

This is good. I expected more from the video, though. What disappointed me is the lack of BOCness!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Archrival

"

Yeah that video was really nice! loved it!

what we all can agree upon is that BOC are not very predictable..who would have predicted this video and track after Geogaddi!?!? :omg:

i'm simply amazed...i've made better videos whilst high and walking along dirt roads in the rain.

i'll admit, i was pleased at first, watching the man fall while the intro was playing was fun, seeing as how, in my opinion, the intro is the only good part of the song.

but when the surfer surfaced...i couldn't watch. clicked it shut. but opened it again, to see the album plug bit at the end that people were writing about.

horrible...absolutely horrible.

aye, very nice.

not really a boc video though. (warp) viral marketing dept job if I ever saw one.

first half was actually pretty fair dos, but it all goes horribly wrong the second he plonks into the water on the first beat. you got it in one pb - 'old spice' is all i could think of, and the frame switching seemed a baw hair off sync with the beat a few times. to be honest, the video has damaged my love for the song.

MTV will love it.

We've got a bunch of ADD people here, everything has to be this incredible-zOMG-cut-up-psychadelic-freak-out with timelaps shots of burning trees and all or else they label a big fat "WORST THING EVER". I mean it has to surpass what they saw 5 minutes ago, it's a perpetual search for the impossible to reach nihilism perfection.

Spoiled brats.

It was a nice little DVD-accompagning video

I've just watched it for the first time and it's excellent. That report about it being of the bloke skydiving from the edge of space was correct, but that's just the first half. The second half is people surfing and stuff. It fits with the music really well.

I think it's a good debut

Bwahaha, oh my god that was lame.

Good idea - using the skydive footage, not the surfing - but poor execution. The director has no concept of suspense. The track has two parts, the long intro that lasts until 2:17 or so, and then the thundering drumming latter half. You could have done the entire video with nothing but the high-altitude skydive footage, with the guy jumping out of the balloon synched with the intro of the drums, and I think it would have been much better. The lead up could have been shots of preparation for his jump, news interviews, or some nasa building shots intercut with fields and sun, whatever. Then the music swelling as he prepares to step off, and the psychadelic cymbal splashes hitting as he's falling. At the point where the music changes tempo the editing should too - I really liked the idea of him having a hallucination as he's falling, that would have been brilliant if executed right.

And the plug at the end is shameless and revolting. Blech.

Oh well.

I take it that the plug is because it was a downloadable video, not really an 'official' video. If it were on a DVD or Mtv or something, I don't think they would have put that plug in. I bet it was even more WARP's decision than BOC's.

I also think the only reason that people are disappointed by the surfing footage is because you're associating the image with t.v. commercials, like you say. I am sure BOC are thinking about surfing disconnected from the interest of selling sunblock or hair gel; they probably just think it's a nice contrast to the emptiness and coldness of the space shots that came before. I see it as a return to a sort of oceanic experience with some huge thing that you become part of (the water, I mean), from having been miles and miles away and alone. And in that respect I think it's a nice sentiment, if a little sentimental.

I take it that the plug is because it was a downloadable video, not really an 'official' video. If it were on a DVD or Mtv or something, I don't think they would have put that plug in. I bet it was even more WARP's decision than BOC's.

I also think the only reason that people are disappointed by the surfing footage is because you're associating the image with t.v. commercials, like you say. I am sure BOC are thinking about surfing disconnected from the interest of selling sunblock or hair gel; they probably just think it's a nice contrast to the emptiness and coldness of the space shots that came before. I see it as a return to a sort of oceanic experience with some huge thing that you become part of (the water, I mean), from having been miles and miles away and alone. And in that respect I think it's a nice sentiment, if a little sentimental.

Yeah, except that to me the song works in exactly the opposite order - it starts off more conventional and grounded, and then you "leave the earth behind" as the drugs take hold and you're rocketed into space. I would've preferred if it started off grounded, and then during the psychadelic part you're in the "coldness of space," with the camera jittering and spiraling. Would've worked better imo.

Good idea - using the skydive footage, not the surfing - but poor execution. The director has no concept of suspense. The track has two parts, the long intro that lasts until 2:17 or so, and then the thundering drumming latter half. You could have done the entire video with nothing but the high-altitude skydive footage, with the guy jumping out of the balloon synched with the intro of the drums, and I think it would have been much better. The lead up could have been shots of preparation for his jump, news interviews, or some nasa building shots intercut with fields and sun, whatever. Then the music swelling as he prepares to step off, and the psychadelic cymbal splashes hitting as he's falling. At the point where the music changes tempo the editing should too - I really liked the idea of him having a hallucination as he's falling, that would have been brilliant if executed right.

that's exactly what i was picturing as well.

was the first surfer supposed to be kittinger emerging from the ocean after his jump? not executed very well.

i think it was kinda nice. the footage intensified the feel of the music, which i feel is what a music video should be like. not something that is intensified by music, that's what we have films for.

Guest crazymonk

One thing I really like about the video: it improves the song. There is a nice melding of the shimmering sound and light.

Guest felttipen

i dont get why they would show it for free after selling it to people. The video was ok, i wouldnt want a really hectic video cuz it would be shit so no phycadelia. :rhubear1:

well, it looks like encey liked it, and 40 people hated it :laughing:

honestly it made me sort of sad ... i literally laughed out loud at the surfing thing. like, the guy lands from space, takes off his spacesuit, transforms from an air force test pilot into a 20something blond surfer, creates a surfboard out of thin air ... wtf? the first two minutes were great, though of course i'd seen the footage before; but then the editing and syncing was just terrible after that ... some guy surfing, and not even particularly good footage (except for the underwater shot of the wave, and then the slo-mo thing with the water droplets). i've seen better fan videos ... i dunno. quite disappointing

Guest chromakey_dreamcoat

I'm sure the scenes were taken from somewhere else. It could not have been filmed by Melissa Olson or any Hexagon Sun staff. They don't have enough money to go in space! :fear: The space and the waves were beautiful, though.

Archived