IGNORED

Dayvan Cowboy video

Guest fox

hmm ... now that i've watched it a couple times, it's not quite as bad. i think i just couldn't get over my initial wtf-ness, regarding the random introduction of the surfer guy, but now it kind of makes sense.

also, this was just a thought; perhaps the video was meant to relate in some way to the cover of TCH (the album)? i.e., the white blob in the background would be the surfboard, and then the guy standing there vaguely looking at the camera would be the surfer? after which he point he jumps in his car and drives across the country, or something

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that it's not quite as bad on repeat viewings...but I was only able to get through it three times before I got completely bored with it. I won't exactly be enthusiastically busting this out whenever I have someone over, like I did with Gantz Graf for a while. It'll be more like, "Hey...speaking of BoC...I have like this video on DVD. Their first official release or somesuch. It's alright, I guess." :: sets down dvd case absent mindedly:: "Wanna play frisbee?"

heh, yep. Though I doubt I'll mention it to anyone.

hmm ... now that i've watched it a couple times, it's not quite as bad. i think i just couldn't get over my initial wtf-ness, regarding the random introduction of the surfer guy, but now it kind of makes sense.

also, this was just a thought; perhaps the video was meant to relate in some way to the cover of TCH (the album)? i.e., the white blob in the background would be the surfboard, and then the guy standing there vaguely looking at the camera would be the surfer? after which he point he jumps in his car and drives across the country, or something

I agree that it's not quite as bad on repeat viewings...but I was only able to get through it three times before I got completely bored with it. I won't exactly be enthusiastically busting this out whenever I have someone over, like I did with Gantz Graf for a while. It'll be more like, "Hey...speaking of BoC...I have like this video on DVD. Their first official release or somesuch. It's alright, I guess." :: sets down dvd case absent mindedly:: "Wanna play frisbee?"

yeah i definitely won't be introducing people to BoC via this video ... also i did the same thing with gantz graf! i still do it, actually. like whenever i have someone over, i'll usually end up showing it to them ... the consensus is usually something like "whoa, that video was awesome ... but wait, you just listen to the music, on its own? wtf? this sounds like computers raping each other"

Re your second paragraph: if you have to reach that hard to find meaning in a piece of art, I don't think it did its job, IMO.

yeah i was laughing a bit while typing that ...

i dont get why they would show it for free after selling it to people.

probably 'cause a music video is basically an ad for the record.

bah, you got it all wrong, its a BRILLANT video: the opposite of everything mtv do at the moment, its an obvious naive editing of various images, its just funny non-sense (the space man turning into a surfer), its easy going & the fact it looks like a billabong (a 70's commercial tho!) commercial is pretty ironic, & childish in a way.

& 60/70's surf movies always bring tears to my eyes!

post-199-1144996011_thumb.jpg

Guest umop_apisdn

i was experiencing wang activation until the surfboard popped out.

and now ive had an innie for about 30 minutes.

:(

boring, wasted opperchancity.

mo

As to the 'art'

Spaceman drops in from the space and become a hippy waster surfer dude - what's not to get? essentially it's a slacker version of the Man Who Fell To Earth but instead of starting a company the spaceman just dicks around - a bit like BoC these days.

essentially it's a slacker version of the Man Who Fell To Earth but instead of starting a company the spaceman just dicks around - a bit like BoC these days.

hah.

pretty much.

having watched it again this morning I can now formally say this is a very bad video.

in every way possible.

it reeks of the kind of thing you see on the video wall in stores like Top Man and such like. If you ever go into such places.

mother.

Guest dextro

The video in itself is OK, but as a reference to the song and BOC in general it is totally of the rails.

Firstly, it has obviously not been shot by BOC or anyone close to the project. That's a bit of shame since they have previously held everything very close to their chests and had a very consistent and personal output.

Secondly, it's like watching TV while having BOC on in the background, it doesn't seem to relate to the song at all, it's class footage, but it doesn't work together. I think if you are going to make a video, it's important that you do it yourself. If that had been one of the BOC guys surfing, that would have been cool!

This thread sums up why I missed Theo so much.

they probably just think it's a nice contrast to the emptiness and coldness of the space shots that came before. I see it as a return to a sort of oceanic experience with some huge thing that you become part of (the water, I mean), from having been miles and miles away and alone. And in that respect I think it's a nice sentiment, if a little sentimental.

I wasn't overly impressed but looking at it from this perspective does help. It's pretty good, just not that special.

overall,i thought the imagery was pretty. but i saw 2 fan made videos on That Other Site™ that were made using stock footage of an old film from the 60s that BOC sites as an inspiration. 10x better than this video.

Fancy posting a link to these please?

Also does anyone have the WATMM videos from the competition Joyrex ran? I'd love to see those again.

now that i've seen it i liked it. does anyone know where i can find the skydiver vid on it's own? i thought that was pretty awesome.

you guys are a bunch of turds. your posts can be summarized as thus:

• total crap. the edit on fram 413,276 is the obvious work of an amateur. my films that nobody has seen are much better, trust me.
  • lol. a space dude turns into a surfer? wtf? there's no way he would have had a surfboard in his backpack.
  • hello? cliiche. surfing has been done. bring me the next pile of pooh to evaluate and register my disgust on the internet.
i don't think the video is mind blowing, but it is effective. take some time to think about the images before pounding furiously on your keyboard. a man, sheathed in a helmet and complex protective materials, takes a dive away from the safety of the aircraft and plunges into the wild expanse of nature. when he emerges, he is (nearly) naked and is part of nature, emersed in it, allowing himself to be hurled and tossed by the immense power and beauty that is the unpredictable, natural world.

is it earth shattering? no. but i think that's partly what the song and album are all about. that man's journey through and into the expanse of the vast natural world.

you are free to like or dislike the video. i don't care either way. but you guys look like shallow, ignorant jerks who lack the ability to think about something critically in this thread. you want instant gratification.

aircraft

it's actually a balloon (everything you do is a ballon)

yes this video does have plenty to think about, you're right, but it's hackneyed (?) pretty fucking obvious and quite frankly boring.

stop reading to much into things

balloons come from the ground

research the footage - it's the highest balloon flight on record

or are you implying they just chucked it off the back of a fighter jet?

or are you implying they just chucked it off the back of a fighter jet?

flying submarine

p.s. i should be universally lauded for my use of the bullent point feature

Archived