IGNORED

Clark - "Iradelphic"

Guest Adam

It's not Clark on his A-game(Body Riddle, Turning Dragon, Totem's Flare and all accompanying EPs) but it has its moments for sure. He makes quite a bit more music than he releases from what he says. I bet he created what could have been something on par with those albums, but chose the wrong tracklisting, and conscious change of direction, whatever you know?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SampleScience

I'm surprised people like the very retro synth sounds from Tom Couch. I like it a lot, but most of the time my tastes aren't very popular ones (most of the time what I love most people hate). It reminds me of synthesizers bands from the sevenies like Droids & others bands I don't remember the names right now.

After repeated listens, I must say - Iradelphic is the most un-Clark Clark release yet - even the more familiar tracks (that echo his previous styles) are still way different.

I really don't know how to feel about this - I was expecting typical Clark-esque crushing brutality, and then Clark drops this in my lap. I like it, but if someone played this without me previously knowing it was Clark, I would have said "no way in hell that's Clark".

I think Clark certainly deserves praise for taking his music in such a vastly different direction - even the change between Clarence Park and Ceramics is the Bomb/Empty The Bones of You wasn't as drastic.

after listening to this album a few times, i really find it difficult to listen to it in strict succession. i'll usually listen to the first 5 songs back to back sometimes, or the remaining ones back to back but almost never the whole album through and through. taken in chunks, i do like the material but not nearly as much in total.

the first three tracks are beast though

yea it has the worst flow of any Clark album yet. including Clarence park.

I hope he releases a bad ass ep soon. this album and that "workshop" have been quite a let down. I never thought I'd say that about Clark. ever.

i really like his boiler room set, it's a really tightened rendition of the workshop session. He should have released a double lp with a lot of the beats from the live set on half of it.

• 3 weeks later...

martina-topley-bird.jpg

So glad he had her onboard for a few tracks. Open reminds me of a weird Augsburger Puppenkiste Techno remix I heard quite a lot as a kid.

Listening to this again. It certainly is his album with more potencial, emotionally speaking, if the ideas were more developped this could be a fuckin masterpiece, but somehow it doesnt completely deliver :(((

Listening to this again. It certainly is his album with more potencial, emotionally speaking, if the ideas were more developped this could be a fuckin masterpiece, but somehow it doesnt completely deliver :(((

This album IMO has been completel divisive (sp?)

It's one of my favorite if not my favorite Clark album. To me, its simply more refined. Others see it as less refined but I think their judgement is simply clouded because this album is less electronic, and somewhere in their brain is the correlation between purity and electronic and quality.

Not sure, I'm not an expert, but throwing this on on MY system this has been one of his most dynamically spectacular albums, which lends itself to the emotion hes trying to convey. It has been a 9/10 for me.

Consider squarepusher as well, all his albums are divisive and encourage conversation. Thats part, of the art, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

There are some definitely neat moments on Iradelphic but Broken Kite Footage has to be one of the most sickeningly precious songtitles I've ever heard.

• 1 month later...

I just listened to Iradelphic again, then immediately followed by Idiology by mouse on mars. It suddenly just came to me that they were obvious bedfellows.

So while we could be nit-picky about how they're both different, I feel like they're both trying to forge a new way forward in instrumentation, style, and harmonies in electronic music. One creates a completely unique style environment almost flawlessly. That would have to be MoM. And they did it about 10 years earlier than Clark. It's funny that listening to Clark's pretty lame attempt to create a new sonic hybridization enriches my understanding of how fantastic Idiology is.

Anyone else feel this way?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never like Clark. But Iradelphic has got some of the most replay out of any music i've heard in a while. In a way it reminds me of dark version of Bibio. The song textures have that romantic vintage feeling but at the same time bring you somewhere else.

• 1 month later...

What I find very interesting is that I heard recently that Iradelphic actually goes back to his Turning Dragon days. While performing his harsh techno shows he actually started playing guitar and slower stuff for his own pleasure. Makes sense, but I didn't thought that. Anyway, I hope a new LP with a completly new direction (and some harsh beats at least) won't take another three years...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's no reason not to like this album.

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I appreciate that he tries to achieve something different with each release. Besides, I snagged a copy of Body Riddle on vinyl, so I might give it another go at some point. :emotawesomepm9:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived