IGNORED

God Bless America

sweepstakes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is basically a Breaking Bad rip-off?

What?

You didn't see any similarities at all?

Normal average guy gets a tumour. Goes crazy. In this case the guy is just a serial killer instead of a drug dealer.

A more violent and a dumper version of Breaking Bad. That's the impression I got from that trailer.

Falling Down + Idiocracy + Breaking Bad + Natural Born Killers==what's not to like?

yo303 - obviously without having seen the movie yet I can't say for sure - but it looks like they'll deal with that particular trope at some point in the movie.

I love how this movie criticises society for being mindless idiots by glorying murder and cheering every kill (making them mindless idiots as well)

This. It's like a cartoon. There's another layer to its criticism, just like with Idiocracy.

So this is basically a Breaking Bad rip-off?

What?

You didn't see any similarities at all?

Normal average guy gets a tumour. Goes crazy. In this case the guy is just a serial killer instead of a drug dealer.

A more violent and a dumper version of Breaking Bad. That's the impression I got from that trailer.

I'm kind of getting the impression that you didn't actually watch Breaking Bad. Walt certainly didn't "go crazy". He weighed his options, albeit hastily, and determined that the quickest and most effective was to become a drug dealer. Just because it was socially unacceptable and had some serious side effects doesn't mean it was irrational.

I do see the similarity of a fairly typical middle-class middle-aged white guy getting fed up with playing buy the rules and deciding that he's not going to anymore. That aspect of this movie I find refreshing. It's good to see more of that, because apparently the rules aren't doing anything to discourage good people from getting shat on.

Oh, yeah, and the tumor. Duh. Somehow I forgot that part of the trailer. :P

The unfettered violence is what freaks me out, but hey, if that's what you have to do (CINEMATICALLY!) to get assholes' attention...

I would argue that Walt in the latest season of Breaking Bad, has gone crazy.

Anyway. As I said, it's just the impression I got from the trailer. Just because it's more violent/dumb don't necessarily have to be a bad thing. It could be fun.

I would argue that Walt in the latest season of Breaking Bad, has gone crazy.

Anyway. As I said, it's just the impression I got from the trailer. It could be fun.

I kind of see what you're saying but I felt like he was just coming to terms with the responsibilities that he's taken on and realized that he can no longer continue down the path he's chosen and consistently take the moral high road. He has to be heartless, even evil at times. It's just part of his current profession, being a criminal and more specifically being a high-profile meth producer.

Yeah, it looks fun but an unsettling sort of fun.

.. and i don't have a problem with depictions of murders in movies, but it gets weird when the goal of the movie is for us to cheer every kill.

Yes, and it's even got that smarmy Apple fauxlk music in the background, and it seems to be doing so without implied cognitive dissonance (like in a Kubrick movie, e.g. the Mickey Mouse Club theme song at the end of Full Metal Jacket). It's just like "Hey, with the new iPhone I can video chat with my family!" to "Hey, with this gun I can exterminate all the selfish assholes I encounter!"

I actually had a dream a few years ago that had a similar glorification of violence and it really unsettled me. But yeah, this is even creepier, easy breezy fun happy folksy violence.

Bobcat is a sick fucko!

this...what was that previous movie of his with Robin Williams? Where his son kills himself during autoerotic asphyxiation and then he makes it look like suicide to get people's attention? Actually I had no problem with the premise, but there was a weird vibe to the film overall...

Archived