IGNORED

If Nintendo Wants To Survive, They Need To Make This

Joyrex

Ehm yeah...but what they really need to do, is release games for iPhones, Androids and iPads. Guaranteed success. If they only step over their pride, that is. The older Zelda's on iPhone? The concept of cash cow comes to mind.

Is it really pride or is it the fact that the DS out sells the iPhone? Why give some of their profits to Apple when clearly.. they don't need to.

Huh? The DS out sells the iPhone? If that were the case, Nintendo wouldn't be in the deep shit they're now, don't you think? I think I'm getting crazy. If that's a fact, I'm interested in its source. Either I'm way out of the loop here, or your facts need to be fact checked.

Ehm yeah...but what they really need to do, is release games for iPhones, Androids and iPads. Guaranteed success. If they only step over their pride, that is. The older Zelda's on iPhone? The concept of cash cow comes to mind.

Is it really pride or is it the fact that the DS out sells the iPhone? Why give some of their profits to Apple when clearly.. they don't need to.

Huh? The DS out sells the iPhone? If that were the case, Nintendo wouldn't be in the deep shit they're now, don't you think? I think I'm getting crazy. If that's a fact, I'm interested in its source. Either I'm way out of the loop here, or your facts need to be fact checked.

Oh wait... I misread the chart on wikipedia...

Never mind me :P

BUT STILL... evidence that Nintendo are in deep shit?

Nintendo to Post Major Financial Loss

by Andy Goergen - October 26, 2011 - 9:06 P.M.

Total Comments: 41 Source: Andriasang http://andriasang.com/comyr8/ http://www.nikkei.com/markets/kigyo/gyoseki.aspx?g=DGXNASGD26014_26102011MM0000

The rumor mill predicts a loss of over a billion dollars over the second half of 2011.

Nintendo will post a loss of ¥100 billion tomorrow (approximately $1.31 billion), according to Japanese newspaper Nikkei. The loss is for the period of April 2011 through September 2011. According to the report, the loss is mostly attributed to the value of the yen against the Euro, and amounts for ¥40 billion of the rumored loss. In comparison, for the same period in 2010, Nintendo posted a loss of just over ¥4 billion.

The predicted loss for the period was ¥55 billion, making the rumored final figures almost double what was predicted. Andriasang notes that it is unclear how much of the report was Nikkei's analysts doing the math themselves.

Nintendo will reveal its earnings for the period in Japan on October 27.

Guest Enter a new display name

I hate games where you face the same boss, over and over, in different situations.

photo-1.png

The Yellow Devil only appears once in Mega Man - remakes of the games don't count.

Yellow Devil reappears in Megaman 8, although it's green instead of yellow. Watch at 8:24

That is the first loss for Nintendo in many years. It's coming as they're trying to push really old hardware (Wii) and they had to cut the price of the 3DS because of lack of sales (during a world wide recession).

Interesting Opinion peice from a few days ago titled "Don't worry about Nintendo":

From a distance, Nintendo would appear to be in some serious trouble. After stumbling with the launch of the 3DS, being forced to prematurely cut the portable's price tag, fumbling the introduction of Wii U, not offering enough quality titles for much of 2011 and forecasting $838 million in losses – a first ever for the company – for its current fiscal year many are correct in wondering what's happening with the Big N. How did things get this bad?

Though grim on the surface, and certainly nothing to take lightly, Nintendo is going to be just fine. While it's true the company hasn't expertly handled the transition from the DS and Wii to a new generation of hardware, most of the losses we're now seeing are simply a natural part of the rocky path back to what could be a new era of dominance. To make this situation into anything greater is simply premature, a blatant attempt to be sensationalistic and overly-dramatic.

As a result of worldwide DS sales dropping by two-thirds and Wii sales sliding by a third, Nintendo finds itself in a challenging position, being forced to broaden the install bases of aging platforms through price cuts and bundles while still moving its agenda forward. As its products sell at lower prices, and the remaining potential consumers dwindle, Nintendo has to simultaneously do something that costs a considerable amount of money – invest in the future.

Nintendo's finances seem to point to the costs of these increased efforts, as the company is forecasting an R&D increase of $1.3 million per month for the final three months of the fiscal quarter. Nintendo has guaranteed it will release Wii U by the start of the 2012 holiday shopping season. It also plans to have an appropriate launch slate ready. Assuming there are one or two more major 3DS games coming towards the end of 2012, Nintendo will be lucky to keep its development costs in check during the next 12-15 months. It has a lot of critical work to do in the year ahead. All eyes will be on the launch of Wii U - and what Nintendo can reveal at this year's E3.

read the rest @ http://wii.ign.com/a.../1217476p1.html

What a lovely piece. I still disagree though. Nintendo is looking like the Nokia of gaming platforms. Especially in the area of handheld gaming. There is no way I ever see Nintendo developing a handheld platform which can compete with the functionality of even current 'smart devices'. It's going to be a smartphone which only allows you to play games, for the same price. And probably more expensive because it's missing the membership subsidy a normal smartphone has. Also, these smartphones tend to be made in much higher volumes, so even from a manufacturing perspective it just doesn't make much sense. I don't know whether they develop all the hardware in-house, or buy it from the same companies that deliver the parts for all those smartphones. The first is very expensive. The second a kiss of death. Because odds are, they're going to be at the end of the waiting line after the big smartphone companies. Read: they can have whatever is left. Namely, previous generation parts. I don't see how they can compete.

ramble ramble

I think they still have a chance, though. Smartphone games still kinda suck. Tappity drag touch swipe is definitely not the most fun gaming experience. I'm not saying the 3DS or University of Wii is going to be their savior, let alone any console. I'm just saying the smartphone experience is still lacking in a way the console experience isn't. And with their expertise in delivering quality gaming experiences, they should be able to pick up the slack somehow.

i always wondered why no one has taken cell shaded 3d graphics to the next level. I remember when i heard Street Fighter 4 was going to be capcoms first cell shaded 3d game, and they were abandoning 2d i got pretty excited until i saw how not-good it looked.

I hate games where you face the same boss, over and over, in different situations.

photo-1.png

The Yellow Devil only appears once in Mega Man - remakes of the games don't count.

Yellow Devil reappears in Megaman 8, although it's green instead of yellow. Watch at 8:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWHuYEPyoYI

regardless you have to admit that it was still a terrible example of what Joyrex was saying

Am I the only one who wants another 'Link to the Past'? I stopped enjoying Zelda when it moved into three dimensions.

Most people are like that, the new Zeldas are barely outselling the old ones despite massive market growth. Also the OP wouldn't help Nintendo survive, Wind Waker was the worst-selling Zelda game.

i always wondered why no one has taken cell shaded 3d graphics to the next level. I remember when i heard Street Fighter 4 was going to be capcoms first cell shaded 3d game, and they were abandoning 2d i got pretty excited until i saw how not-good it looked.

photo-1.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWHuYEPyoYI

regardless you have to admit that it was still a terrible example of what Joyrex was saying

The Green Devil is NOT the Yellow Devil - they behave and attack entirely different, and the Yellow Devil doesn't have his control sphere buried inside his body, whereas the Green Devil does, and you have to expose it to be able to do damage.

Am I the only one who wants another 'Link to the Past'? I stopped enjoying Zelda when it moved into three dimensions.

Most people are like that, the new Zeldas are barely outselling the old ones despite massive market growth. Also the OP wouldn't help Nintendo survive, Wind Waker was the worst-selling Zelda game.

True, but I think that had more to do with the decline of the GameCube rather than the game itself:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

There's a similar Yellow Devil boss in Megaman 3.

The Green Devil is NOT the Yellow Devil - they behave and attack entirely different, and the Yellow Devil doesn't have his control sphere buried inside his body, whereas the Green Devil does, and you have to expose it to be able to do damage.

This is the extent of the recycling in Skyward Sword. The bosses that reoccur are enhanced each time, about as much as the Green Devil is different to the Yellow Devil.

That said... it's within one game... so to some extent I think your argument is valid.

Nintendo to Post Major Financial Loss

by Andy Goergen - October 26, 2011 - 9:06 P.M.

Total Comments: 41 Source: Andriasang http://andriasang.com/comyr8/ http://www.nikkei.co..._26102011MM0000

The rumor mill predicts a loss of over a billion dollars over the second half of 2011.

Nintendo will post a loss of ¥100 billion tomorrow (approximately $1.31 billion), according to Japanese newspaper Nikkei. The loss is for the period of April 2011 through September 2011. According to the report, the loss is mostly attributed to the value of the yen against the Euro, and amounts for ¥40 billion of the rumored loss. In comparison, for the same period in 2010, Nintendo posted a loss of just over ¥4 billion.

The predicted loss for the period was ¥55 billion, making the rumored final figures almost double what was predicted. Andriasang notes that it is unclear how much of the report was Nikkei's analysts doing the math themselves.

Nintendo will reveal its earnings for the period in Japan on October 27.

Ok, well I stand corrected then.

It still seems far fetched to say they'll die out tho... time will tell....

There's a similar Yellow Devil boss in Megaman 3.

This is the extent of the recycling in Skyward Sword. The bosses that reoccur are enhanced each time, about as much as the Green Devil is different to the Yellow Devil.

That said... it's within one game... so to some extent I think your argument is valid.

That's Yellow Devil Mark II - quite different.

the yellow devil will always and forever look like this to me

megaman1nes.jpg

and so will the NINTENDO 1800 # tipline tip of hitting pause repeatedly on the controller while shooting him so the game glitched out and counted each 'hit' as like 3-4 instead of just 1

Skyward Sword definitely does do some boss recycling which is a bit disappointing (I guess they were rushing to make it out for Xmas), but overall the game is quite fantastic and if you own a Wii but not Skyward Sword, then you are a DICK.

yeah, I hadn't got to the part in Skyward Sword where you had to

fight the imprisoned again... so fucking annoying. I think Girahim is a bit different as he becomes more powerful and is central to the plot.

But overall, it's kind of weak and since I haven't finished the game idk if it will even have an impact in the plot.

Archived