now he shits on us

the least we're entitled to do is gossip about the facts

what will bring him back is one thing

when someone better than him comes about

then everyone says 'holy shit this 19 year old kids is better than aphex'

thats when aphex will come back

it's a rocky/boxing film situation

100% proven facts undeniable

Yup, he thinks he's achieved his goal - to become God of electronic music.

Fact is, if you go more than four years without releasing and you're fully able to, I call bullshit.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was linked to in the other thread, worth reading though, dated a month ago

http://www.improvearts.net/planet-rephlex/

Grant Wilson-Claridge:

You know there are rumours sometimes about a new album from Richard? Do you know anything about that?

Everything you hear, everything you read is a totally made up load of shit. Everything. Even when they announced that hes gonna have a new album, they just made that up. He didnt say that, you know. He makes tracks all the time. Hes always making tracks. But you have to ask yourself why would you release Why? If you were making music. Do you make music?

Mattia: no

If you did, why would you release music? Its either you want some money or you want some acclaim or acceptance from people, to go like well done or you want to progress in your field. Its a bit like science you know, you want to push things forward. But then if youve done that I mean, Im not speaking for Richard, but in my opinion: why would, if youve got all those things already, why do another one? You dont need to release it. Just make it and listen to it at home. You dont need to release it and cos then everybodys on the Internet criticising you or loving it but why do you care? You just want to chill out with your kids and you know. Its not nice being in the spotlight you know. You just want to be a normal person and I guess, I dont know. Its my opinion.

I really think this is the closest we'll ever get to RDJ speaking honestly about why he won't release anything. He should have put after 'I don't know. It's my opinion'; 'He gives me all his new music anyway though! *laughs*'.

Yeah but RDJ putting out music is essentially a business that the public is known to love and expect more.

It's like if Coke came to a complete abrupt stop and didn't produce drinks anymore for no particular reason, and everyone would be asking what the hell happened? With absolutely no word from the company.

Waiting on an RDJ album is like waiting for a product that you know will kick ass from a company with an awesome track record.

It's disappointing because it seems the business has shut down from someone who still makes music and DJs.

I still like to think he's working on a release, and the reason for the delay is him taking his time.

It's really not about "pleasing the fans" it's really just hungry customers.

Yeah but RDJ putting out music is essentially a business that the public is known to love and expect more.

It's like if Coke came to a complete abrupt stop and didn't produce drinks anymore for no particular reason, and everyone would be asking what the hell happened? With absolutely no word from the company.

Waiting on an RDJ album is like waiting for a product that you know will kick ass from a company with an awesome track record.

It's disappointing because it seems the business has shut down from someone who still makes music and DJs.

I still like to think he's working on a release, and the reason for the delay is him taking his time.

It's really not about "pleasing the fans" it's really just hungry customers.

comparing a company's obligation to release a product for its consumers to an artist's not-really-an-obligation to release music for listeners is absolutely not the same thing.

I'm taking a middle line here: the artist is not really "obliged" to release to the public for any reason, they could tell everyone to just fuck off and they'd have a right to; on the other hand however, Grant questioning why an artist would ever release anything is stupid because why the hell would you just make music for yourself? it's a form of expression, you are writing music to express something or showcase something, why would you not show it to other people?

comparing a company's obligation to release a product for its consumers to an artist's not-really-an-obligation to release music for listeners is absolutely not the same thing.

I'm taking a middle line here: the artist is not really "obliged" to release to the public for any reason, they could tell everyone to just fuck off and they'd have a right to; on the other hand however, Grant questioning why an artist would ever release anything is stupid because why the hell would you just make music for yourself? it's a form of expression, you are writing music to express something or showcase something, why would you not show it to other people?

I'm not saying he is obliged to put out. It's just that it seems he chose to end the business after years of steady track of releases with similar time frame between releases.

this was linked to in the other thread, worth reading though, dated a month ago

http://www.improvearts.net/planet-rephlex/

Grant Wilson-Claridge:

You know there are rumours sometimes about a new album from Richard? Do you know anything about that?

Everything you hear, everything you read is a totally made up load of shit. Everything. Even when they announced that hes gonna have a new album, they just made that up. He didnt say that, you know. He makes tracks all the time. Hes always making tracks. But you have to ask yourself why would you release Why? If you were making music. Do you make music?

Mattia: no

If you did, why would you release music? Its either you want some money or you want some acclaim or acceptance from people, to go like well done or you want to progress in your field. Its a bit like science you know, you want to push things forward. But then if youve done that I mean, Im not speaking for Richard, but in my opinion: why would, if youve got all those things already, why do another one? You dont need to release it. Just make it and listen to it at home. You dont need to release it and cos then everybodys on the Internet criticising you or loving it but why do you care? You just want to chill out with your kids and you know. Its not nice being in the spotlight you know. You just want to be a normal person and I guess, I dont know. Its my opinion.

I really think this is the closest we'll ever get to RDJ speaking honestly about why he won't release anything. He should have put after 'I don't know. It's my opinion'; 'He gives me all his new music anyway though! *laughs*'.

Richard said he would quit music over and over and over again. next thing happend: analords. hell even rephlex.com is gone now and they continue to release stuff all the time

Some good discussion so far. FWIW, I wanted to chime in. I'm relatively new to this board and thread so apologies all around if there's nothing new here...

It is his art and he can do with it what he pleases. And I expect that he's thought a lot more about this than me. But I don't like it.

I don't know what his reasons are. Maybe he is a tortured artist haunted by doubt, but I seriously doubt 'doubt' here. Maybe the distasteful aspects of the music business have become tiresome. Maybe it's symptomatic of media-shyness. But plenty of other artists are public-productive, navigate the interviews and fauning, and keep it real. It might just be a, "I don't give a fuck" or something like that. That last possibility seems awfully unthinking to me.
I no longer find this coy artistic positioning heroic, instead it seems kind of obnoxious and self-indulgent. In my profession, and probably in most others, defending yourself, justifying your work, moving things forward by engaging others, working for broad benefit, isn't looked down upon, it's totally essential. Communicating and propagating your ideas is the name of the game. Why do successful artists get a pass then? I'm a research scientist; Mattia says, "it's a bit like science." Dude, if you think kicking back after years of great work is a legitimate tack, then no, it's not.
Again, he owns what he does and as others have said, he isn't obliged to distribute anything. Of course I don't know what it's like to be him and I'd like to think I'm open to any convincing argument he might have (not that we'll ever hear it). I have delighted in his artistic decisions in the past, but I disagree with this ongoing one.

asking why you would release any music if you were making it is pretty stupid imo.

It's akin to painting for fun, building a train set, playing with lego, writing a diary, etc.

coolandfrank makes some good points.. and who really knows, at the end of the day why richard is not releasing any of the supposed tons of music he continues to make. all i can speak from is my own perspective as an artist/producer whose released a few albums. I couldn't even imagine being a once-underground sensation making music for the love and passion and for no other reason than to experiment and make things you like, and then years later your being branded as a visionary, an undisputed leader of the entire electronic genre. I mean, he's always had that sort of reputation, but it's grown 100 fold since the genre has gotten more popular in the mid-2000's, and especially now when "mainstream" music is clearly cherrypicking from oldschool techno sounds, producers and styles. I mean we're at a place in music where almost every track on the billboard charts uses electro presets, filtered pads, arpeggiated synths, 303 sounds, etc. Electronic music/techno/electro/dance simply IS the standard format of pop. I think this has more effect than we all realize on the careers and economies of our favorite underground electronic artists and producers. It's no longer considered avante garde to make music like Kraftwerk. Before anyone says "well, rdj never gave a fuck about all commercial stuff/other music anyway", just take a moment to think about that. That's silly. Of course he did, otherwise he wouldnt have turned down requests to work with Madonna. If he didn't give a fuck, he'd probably take on the i cant imagine how many amounts of remix/production offers that probably paid a fuckload. If he truly didn't give a fuck, he would release the music he's making. I think the fact that he's not releasing all this supposed music kinda proves that he does give a fuck, so much in fact, that he's either waiting for the perfect moment to release, working on final touches, or the sad scenario that he gives too much of a fuck that he feels that his stuff wouldn't be as appreciated as it once was considering the oversaturated musical landscape. I mean, we gotta consider the reality that his brilliance and influence has literally spawned entire generations of young artists who have upped the ante in terms of production. For fuck's sake, the sample libraries, soft synths and plug ins that any aspiring producer/engineer/musician uses today has been in shaped in one way or another in mind for the style of music and sounds that Aphex Twin has pioneered. I can't even imagine coming back out in 2013, being Aphex Twin, and just dropping an album or a boatload of albums. Wouldn't you be just a little bit paranoid of what kind of effect that would have on your legacy? It's like if all the sudden, Debussey came back from the grave and just decided to challenge his own entire legacy by composing the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean pt 10. I mean it's gotta be pretty nerveracking to consider the possibility of shattering the good thing you have going- the one thing that people around the world know you by and love you by, and how they've been influenced. This is why I think it's a big deal, and that he's probably just waiting for the right time or that he's still sorting things out, perfecting things, revising things, sleeping on ideas, finding inspiration, etc- like any other artist. But this is different- it's not like an Aerosmith comeback. Nobody would give a fuck about a new Aerosmith album, but everyone would give a fuck about a new Aphex Twin album, even if they didn't know who he once was- A new major afx release would certainly make them aware. so, i just think it's pretty intuitive as an artist that hes not gonna just stop releasing and keep making music for himself. it's probably just taking a long time to get it right (so many innovative sounds have come out since his last release- among them, so much crazy mindblowing ear candy, grooves, melodies... maybe he's upping his game to a degree we can't even comprehend. maybe not. maybe hes just taking time getting inspired. maybe he's taking time writing some really great melodies, complex arrangements and cool sound design. maybe he is kinda freaked out and trying to build up determination and support to finally release. who knows, but one thing i can't believe as a fellow music maker is that he just intends to keep boatloads of new music that he continues to make on his hard drive forever. that's just hard to believe that any creator would want to do that for any other reason than fear of critique or that hes just not ready. it'd be one thing if he's not making music anymore, but from what we all know of the guy, that doesnt seem likely.

still believing.

didnt he say in an interview that theres no point in releasing music since all that would happen is people would steal it anyway?

didnt he say in an interview that theres no point in releasing music since all that would happen is people would steal it anyway?

sounds like an excuse to me.. plus hasnt he also said he doesnt care about making money from music or something? if it does has to do with budget, he could simply self-release on a low scale and be nonchalant about it. it could even be digital-only which im sure us watmmers would be up in arms about but hey if the whole vaporwave scene puts out all this innovative avante garde stuff all diy, and it gets noticed, i dont see why aphex twin cant lol.

he's said a lot in interviews, of which 70% is just bullshit/jokes.

surley releasing music which everybody then copies (inferiorly to boot) is a great thing. It just proves who's the best...

he has stated before that, and i paraphrase;

"i don't like the image thing really, but i reckon i ought to have an image cause i'd like to sell loads of records so i dont have to work at mcdonald's i reckon"

so, my conclusion is that the notariety only serves the purpose of selling records, and since that isn't in itself a viable business model now that the digital age has yarged and shredded the sails of the record selling business, the famous thing is more annoyance than its worth anymore, save the ticket sales for live events.

so instead we ought to find our own inner aphex twin, and just meditate on that. anyone who is idm enough to between the lines would come to this final realization.

Guest liquiday

if he likes all those gigs and live performs, then "he cares because we do", as he said in interview, he likes to release old stuff so wait till all these metz tracks will get older, chill out and wait for next release in near future...

if he likes all those gigs and live performs, then "he cares because we do", as he said in interview, he likes to release old stuff so wait till all these metz tracks will get older, chill out and wait for next release in near future...

The metz track is great.

But the Singapore track is... holy fuck. I get these weird sensations in my spine and goosebumps every time I hear it.

Archived