IGNORED

New Release Speculation Based On Facts We Have

o00o

So is there any actual actual news about an Aphex Twin release? I kind of recall some discussion about RDJ a while ago he (or perhaps an interviewer) mentioned that he had completed a half dozen albums or something that didn't seem reasonable.

I also remember around the same time there was another discussion that due to a split with his spouse he wouldn't release music out of spite?? something about not wanting her to be entitled to his monies. Is that shit actually true? Has there been anything since then in terms of new album or single etc?

Fuck if that is true what a sad time we live in, that a legal matter would dictate whether or not we hear his music.

I did hear a fantastic track on youtube that was played at Metz actually it was two tracks about 10 or 11 minutes long, and they were really ace, I downloaded them and listen to them often the sound quality was very good. I imagine everyone on here know the music I'm talking about?

It would be very funny if RDJ did a very similar clue thing like BOC have just done for their new LP.

What is real is that a furry drugged out watmmer met him a few weeks ago at a party and richardo told him he's busy with new music but that he's taking his time to make sure it's gonna be major afx wang

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is there any actual actual news about an Aphex Twin release? I kind of recall some discussion about RDJ a while ago he (or perhaps an interviewer) mentioned that he had completed a half dozen albums or something that didn't seem reasonable.

I also remember around the same time there was another discussion that due to a split with his spouse he wouldn't release music out of spite?? something about not wanting her to be entitled to his monies. Is that shit actually true? Has there been anything since then in terms of new album or single etc?

Fuck if that is true what a sad time we live in, that a legal matter would dictate whether or not we hear his music.

I did hear a fantastic track on youtube that was played at Metz actually it was two tracks about 10 or 11 minutes long, and they were really ace, I downloaded them and listen to them often the sound quality was very good. I imagine everyone on here know the music I'm talking about?

It would be very funny if RDJ did a very similar clue thing like BOC have just done for their new LP.

What is real is that a furry drugged out watmmer met him a few weeks ago at a party and richardo told him he's busy with new music but that he's taking his time to make sure it's gonna be major afx wang

People are going to read this ivan and think you're joking. But you're not.

I'm StephenG and I endorse this message.

That's pretty much the best news we could get, to know that he's still trying to innovate and make something that's worth releasing. I had already assumed he was not interesed in releasing anything anymore

I agree man. Really happy to hear about that conversation and that Rich just wants to release some mindblowing stuff.

Hopefully a double album of it. Lol

Guest Papillon

I agree man. Really happy to hear about that conversation and that Rich just wants to release some mindblowing stuff.

Yes agreed he's too good, and he knows it. He'll release again. RDJ is so consistent - no matter what style his music is it always seems to be at the top. Hopefully something this year....

I don't want to sound like a major fan-boy but I just think he's miles ahead of everyone else in terms of his ability to release records that change up the whole scene. Sometimes it seems like everyone else is just trying to catch up, but they can't....

I really like some of the artists that have feature pages on the forum. There is BOC and SP top in my books. The others just can't hold a candle to RDJ's music.

Only thing though not sure what happened to SP music, I don't understand what he's going for with the past few releases.

Has this forum reached a consensus about Squarepusher's new(er) music?

Yes agreed he's too good, and he knows it. He'll release again. RDJ is so consistent - no matter what style his music is it always seems to be at the top. Hopefully something this year....

I don't want to sound like a major fan-boy but I just think he's miles ahead of everyone else in terms of his ability to release records that change up the whole scene. Sometimes it seems like everyone else is just trying to catch up, but they can't....

I really like some of the artists that have feature pages on the forum. There is BOC and SP top in my books. The others just can't hold a candle to RDJ's music.

Only thing though not sure what happened to SP music, I don't understand what he's going for with the past few releases.

Has this forum reached a consensus about Squarepusher's new(er) music?

Top post mate. RdJ to me is the best, always has been and always will be. I think my obsession with BOC is slightly fuelled by their silence and mystery, whereas my obsession with RdJ is down purely to the tunes. And nothing else.

Personaly when it comes to Squarepusher I don't really like much since Ultravisitor, but thats just me and I can appreciate that's just dust blowing in the wind. I would suggest you check out the digital Bleep KCRW session. It's pretty good apart from the painfull Unreal Square, skip that and its pure SP mentalism

i did not ask about steinvord because im not an aphex twin fan and i dont really know what that is. i dont keep up with warp/rephlex stuff, not my cup of tea for a fair couple of years.

he did say rephlex is basically over though, is that common knowledge?

i did not ask about steinvord because im not an aphex twin fan and i dont really know what that is. i dont keep up with warp/rephlex stuff, not my cup of tea for a fair couple of years.

That is not common knowledge, any elaboration?

Rephlex release stuff rather extensively recently, officially and unofficially. Maybe he meant that it is dissecting itself into small independent units.

he said something along the lines of, its run its course, stopping things while they are still going strong, and moving onto other projects because him and grant were done with it. and while he seemed perfectly genuine, he's also a renowned source of disinformation so who knows?

i had more fun actually just drunkenly hanging out with him and chatting about random shit, getting production tips, rather than mining him for information that would be interesting for watmm, but hes also highly likely to lie about. which is probably the reason he stuck around for longer than 5 minutes anyway.

can i bollocks remember production tips from when i was that wrecked. production tips are pretty dull stuff, even off AFX. i only remember drunken piss taking and what ive already posted in this thread.

It's been ready all of this time. We are just waiting for the ARG to be solved from the clues provided, and that will trigger the release.

I hope the Rephlex thing isn't true. I think if they are not having fun with it and not excited about it anymore they should pass the torch (control of the label) onto some younger and more excited folk that would put their 100% into it.

why would you want to hand over control of a label that represents your specific music tastes to someone else? just start a new label.

why would you want to hand over control of a label that represents your specific music tastes to someone else? just start a new label.

I'm sure that there are people out there, maybe friends and family, that would be delighted to be the 2nd generation of Rephlex. I imagine they would even do a better job than the people currently running it. I also think it would be really interesting to watch the label evolve with a new injection of enthusiasm and energy. Some people might say the original label was the greatest incarnation, but I don't think that takes away from it could be. I also don't believe artists like Wisp, EOD, and others are getting the the kind of press and promotion that they could be getting. I see a lot of wasted potential from the Rephlex camp right now, and I would be hugely disappointed to see the label die.

I'm sure that there are people out there, maybe friends and family, that would be delighted to be the 2nd generation of Rephlex. I imagine they would even do a better job than the people currently running it. I also think it would be really interesting to watch the label evolve with a new injection of enthusiasm and energy. Some people might say the original label was the greatest incarnation, but I don't think that takes away from it could be. I also don't believe artists like Wisp, EOD, and others are getting the the kind of press and promotion that they could be getting. I see a lot of wasted potential from the Rephlex camp right now, and I would be hugely disappointed to see the label die.

Yeah, Wisp, EOD, JF and specially Monolith and Steinvord as really young kids putting out such high quality tracks already (okay asuming the later is even a real person but whatever). There are a few people in the world that can capture that characteristic Rephlex vibe as good as these guys. They could be getting more attention but the label has been so extremely low key and underground to the point it becomes counter productive. I mean the webpage isn't even to date with a lot of vinyl releases, I still wonder why.

It just doesn't make any sense. The guy has said several times that he was done with Warp and that the label was crap, and he wanted to release Drukqs on Rephlex, but he was forced to do it on Warp due the agreement he signed when he joined Warp (which forced him to release a number of releases before being able to leave and have the Aphex Twin name for himself to release on Rephlex or anywhere he wanted). If he still wants to release music, is he then going to keep doing it on Warp? He contradicts himself all the time.

Rephlex is cool in the way it just doesn't seem to give a fuck. It seems so eccentric and out of touch with reality it's hilarious. I get the feeling it's supposed to be that way and the artists who sign up for Rephlex expect nothing more or nothing less.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Rephlex release stuff rather extensively recently, officially and unofficially. Maybe he meant that it is dissecting itself into small independent units.

he said something along the lines of, its run its course, stopping things while they are still going strong, and moving onto other projects because him and grant were done with it. and while he seemed perfectly genuine, he's also a renowned source of disinformation so who knows?

Seeing the way music is currently released, I guess the idea is the concept of what a label is, has changed. EOD is kinda presented as a label of itself without any explicit reference to Rephlex. Photodementia's ties to Rephlex are even more vague. The EDM compilations as well. Heck, I'm probably making a fool of myself discussing this, but I think the old fashioned idea of what a label is, is ...well old fashioned.

Kinda silly, perhaps. But it's , imo, the only possible explanation where both accounts are valid: rephlex is over AND is still releasing stuff extensively. The only question is, what or who is releasing stuff extensively? The artist? The institute we used to call a label? The album factory in Bangladesh?

Archived