IGNORED

Psychedelic Fantasy Films

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

I've been really enjoying fantasy films recently. Particularly animated ones with a psychedelic tinge from the 70s and 80s. And since I trust the tastes of forumites, I thought it would be cool to discuss some good films and get some recommendations too.

For instance, I absolutely loved the visual style of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards, even if ther acting and plot was a bit honky. Necron 99 should go down in history as the character with the most wasted potential ever, he could have been a fucking boss character. Seriously, robot assassin...

wizards_poster_02.jpg?w=500&h=757

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind might well be one of my favourite movies ever. No particular reason, I just love it.

idfxq8kl8ehclkex.jpg

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal is another. Its hard to believe that a westerner came up with this film. I watched Labyrinth recently, and I didn't like that as much, even despite the Bowie factor.

The_Dark_Crystal_Poster.jpg

The Fantastic Planet is beautiful, even if it creeps me out a little deep in my soul.

600full-fantastic-planet-poster.jpg

I will post more as they come to me. Can you guys recommend anything else I should check out?

Guest moonchild

The last unicorn. the animation has a lot of gritty detail to it. the harpy for instance and unless you are paying attention you miss it. I never noticed quite a bit of things like that when I was little....

Fire & Ice

FireAndIcePoster.jpg

Gandahar / Light Years

gandahar-lores-72dpi.jpg

can't go wrong with Ralph Bakshi/Rene Laloux.

of course there's also Krull, Willow, The Warrior and the Sorceress, The Neverending Story, Conan The Barbarian, Excalibur, of course, Heavy Metal is probably the epitome of what you're seeking. there's another one that i'm trying to think of... i'll have to get back to you.

by the way, Rene Laloux did Fantastic Planet / Le Planet Sauvage fyi

Fire & Ice

FireAndIcePoster.jpg

Gandahar / Light Years

gandahar-lores-72dpi.jpg

can't go wrong with Ralph Bakshi/Rene Laloux.

of course there's also Krull, Willow, The Warrior and the Sorceress, The Neverending Story, Conan The Barbarian, Excalibur, of course, Heavy Metal is probably the epitome of what you're seeking. there's another one that i'm trying to think of... i'll have to get back to you.

by the way, Rene Laloux did Fantastic Planet / Le Planet Sauvage fyi

220px-Heavy_Metal_2000_poster.jpg

??

Heavy Metal 2000 was awful. There is a new one coming soon, supposed to be return to the original's feel.

The Lord of the Rings Bakshi version, The Hobbit and The Return of the King Rankin/Bass version, Luke is dead on about Laloux, Time Masters is amazing as well.......

most Miyazaki, cept for Kiki's Delivery service(very much for children), should count as shining examples of amazing animated psychadelic fantasy.

some others:

Atlantis, The Lost Empire.

The Black Cauldron.

Explorers.

The Last Starfighter.

Barbarella.

David Lynch's Dune.

Kenneth Anger's Inauguration into the Pleasure Dome and Lucifer Rising.

Enter The Void.

Performance.

Behind the Green Door.

The Visitor.

Altered States.

Pan's Labyrinth.

The Secret of Nimh.

Titan AE.

Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Fantasia.

The Holy Mountain.

The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen.

Eraserhead.

Wild At Heart.

Lost Highway.

Return to Oz.

Akira.

The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Carnivale (TV series).

Twin Peaks.

and more that I cannot recall at the moment or has already been named in this thread.

• Like 1

YEA BOY

i recomend you to watch the other 2 i posted, they're from the same director of mindgame

I started watching Neko Jiru but wasn't getting into it. I'll give it another shot, though, and check out that other film.

Guest Backson

Aw, fuck yeah. Watmm never fails to deliver!

I will definately have to see Heavy Metal. Also, Gandahar looks great. I'll keep an eye out for anything Laloux.

Jacko, I think I watched Cat Soup and I think it made me feel very empty and alone.

Atop, I remeber seeing Titan AE as a child and for a while it was my favourite film. I will have to watch it again...

I'll slowly work my way through this list, good thing there's a DVD store on my street.

thanks again chums!

Madlib has sampled quite a bit from Fantastic Planet on his Further Adventures of Lord Quas (I believe...) and basically where I heard about the movie.

Its fucking awesome sober or swagged out.

the first unico movie about the clay slave people scared the shit out of me as a kid

the animation is pretty top tier too

5272-unico_large.jpg

The Great Yokai War by Takashi Miike, probably the best modern fantasy/scifi ive seen that isn't animation

the-great-yokai-war_1236349998.jpg

also Legend, one of the last really weird gritty movies by Ridley Scott

legend3.jpg

one of the best Disney titles supposedly during their 'off' period before the reinvented themselves with the Little mermaid

the Black Cauldron.

the-black-cauldron-1985.jpg

and then the one that takes the cake for me (of the ones not mentioned here yet)

is this bizarre adult cartoon movie that i saw in the theatre in 3d, alot of it is rotoscoping and it's dark as fuck

S-0064_Starchaser_The_Legend_of_Orin_quad_movie_poster_l.jpg

you will never see a cartoon like this in the theatres again, if it came out today it would be easily rated R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0qPypxqokA&feature=related

watch this and tell me it isn't one of the darkest american 'kids' cartoons youve ever seen

Edited by Awepittance
  • Like 1