IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained

Redruth

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i absolutely loved death proof and ib... in fact, i really like everything by tarantino.. so whatever, i'll probably love this too. death proof was so much better than the overrated schlock that is planet terror.

agreed

*boner's*

Uh. Personally.

Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill 1

Inglorious Basterds

Death Proof

Kill Bill 2

But it's completely false to order them like that because like I've said there are two scenes (40mins) in Inglorious Basterds, which to me, are superior to 90% of Reservoir Dogs.

And the action set-pieces from Kill Bill 1 are probably as good as 90% of Jackie Brown.

It's not his style, but if he ever did a big, slow trippy sci-fi film (2001) I'd probably rate that above all others.

Inglourious Basterds made me a Tarantino fan. Well I guess I'm not really a Tarantino fan as much as an Inglourious Basterds fan :P But I do like all his films at least a little bit. Death Proof and Kill Bill are certainly not quite as cool as the rest though.

I need to see Pulp Fiction again, first (and only) time I've seen it was about 9 years ago (FUCK... I'm old) and I remember it traumatised me :P I think I'd like it more now.

When I saw Inglorious Bastards, I thought parts of it were as good as movies can be. Suspense.

definitely. Im picky with Tarantino, a lot of people "love his dialogue", but there are tons of instances in which a 20 minute scene is simply Tarantino projecting his own personality or knowledge of obscure 1960s one-hit wonders/bands into a younger modernized character, which makes them completely unbelievable. The radio dj that dies in Death Proof is a fantastic example of this. Shit just seems paperthin and completely unrelatable. (And Tarentino constantly explaining why Chartreuse is amazing? Fucking blow me asshole, this isn't why I came here.)

Inglorious Bastards and to a lesser extent Pulp Fiction are the only movies I have seen by him where these scenes build and add to the suspense and anticipation, rather than just boring everyone. The beginning scene in the cottage, the dining scene with Goebbels, Waltz and Shoshanna, and the bar scene are seriously some of the best Hitchcockian demonstrations of how powerful suspense can be in a drawn out dialogue. Quentin, keep doin more of that shit bud. Leave the goofy trivia out of it.

edit: btw other than the retarded dialogue through half the movie, I loved Death Proof...Kurt Russell was fucking fantastic in it..and the ending was hilarious. But I can't stand some of Tarantino...not a fan of the Kill Bill series at all, and I fucking hated Four Rooms. But the man can make a great movie now and then. Id like to chat with him over some brews about movies. Man has passion.

I lost faith in him after Death Proof ...

I regained faith in him after Inglorious Bastards.

Curious to see what this one will bring.

i feel exactly the same

Death Proof and Inglorious Bastards didn't do much for me. Death Proof bored the shit out of me until the very end where they take turns punching him and then jump in the air with freeze-frame, and I didn't understand why inglorious bastards was so critically acclaimed. (Edit 2: ghosty's post summed it up for me.

I'm curious about this as well, I love earlier Tarantino (Kill Bill and earlier). I haven't seen Death Proof, but Inglorious Basterds was kinda hit/miss, some scenes were great, some not so much. The begining is epic, great dialouge and storytelling, the bar scene was also one of the better... some of the other scenes were just kinda meh, and idk there was just something about them that seemed like it was trying too hard, or like almost a parody of his own style.

)

I am excited for part 2 of the Machete trilogy though, if that's still going to happen. I like Rodriguez's take-the-piss + gory style. Reminds me of Evil Dead.

Edit: Jeez, a lot of Rodriguez dislike in here. What's not to love?

When I saw Inglorious Bastards, I thought parts of it were as good as movies can be. Suspense.

definitely. Im picky with Tarantino, a lot of people "love his dialogue", but there are tons of instances in which a 20 minute scene is simply Tarantino projecting his own personality or knowledge of obscure 1960s one-hit wonders/bands into a younger modernized character, which makes them completely unbelievable. The radio dj that dies in Death Proof is a fantastic example of this. Shit just seems paperthin and completely unrelatable. (And Tarentino constantly explaining why Chartreuse is amazing? Fucking blow me asshole, this isn't why I came here.)

Inglorious Bastards and to a lesser extent Pulp Fiction are the only movies I have seen by him where these scenes build and add to the suspense and anticipation, rather than just boring everyone. The beginning scene in the cottage, the dining scene with Goebbels, Waltz and Shoshanna, and the bar scene are seriously some of the best Hitchcockian demonstrations of how powerful suspense can be in a drawn out dialogue. Quentin, keep doin more of that shit bud. Leave the goofy trivia out of it.

edit: btw other than the retarded dialogue through half the movie, I loved Death Proof...Kurt Russell was fucking fantastic in it..and the ending was hilarious. But I can't stand some of Tarantino...not a fan of the Kill Bill series at all, and I fucking hated Four Rooms. But the man can make a great movie now and then. Id like to chat with him over some brews about movies. Man has passion.

You expanded on what I was too lazy to write. I even thought parts of Death Proof had that intrigue that pulls you in and let's you know something intense is going to happen. The finale was a nice payoff.

Uh. Personally.

Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill 1

Inglorious Basterds

Death Proof

Kill Bill 2

But it's completely false to order them like that because like I've said there are two scenes (40mins) in Inglorious Basterds, which to me, are superior to 90% of Reservoir Dogs.

And the action set-pieces from Kill Bill 1 are probably as good as 90% of Jackie Brown.

It's not his style, but if he ever did a big, slow trippy sci-fi film (2001) I'd probably rate that above all others.

you've just indentified why QT is such a mixed bag for me, even in his worst least cohesive movies with stories that are boring (inglorious) he manages to pepper it with extremely captivating scenes. Same with the Kill Bill movies the opening to Kill Bill 1 with the coma fucking scene and the fight with Vivica A Fox is some of the best work he's ever done i think, but as a whole total the movie is just kind of all over the place with little cohesion. That's why jackie brown works so weel for me, it feels glued together instead of a series of 'wow fucking check this out' scenes

Cast looks interesting. Although the amount of women approaches zero.....

A QT movie without any women? I didn't think that could be possible..

Have you seen reservoir dogs? lol

death proof was alright - probably the worst Tarantino movie in terms of dialogue (although to be honest the dialogue in Kill Bill was not great....) but Kurt Russell is a bad ass in it.

Also - I wonder where he got the name Django from?

Crazy. I love Reservoir Dogs. probably my second favorite after Pulp Fiction (and it's not far behind either), and then Jackie Brown takes the bronze.

Yeah, personally I think he (QT) could probably do a really interesting job with such a great cast. I mean, Waltz, McRaney, Foxx, DiCaprio, Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, Gordon-Levitt... Those are all quality actors, or at least they have the potential within them to do great work.

i honestly wasn't impressed with Resevoir Dogs...aside from the cafe scene and the ear-cutting, I found it sorta bland and with a lot of forced acting (though Madsen did a great job here)

Archived