IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained

Redruth

True Romance was the funding gambit I think?

i think as a directorial debut it's pretty outstanding. I thought Chris Penn was great as nice guy eddie.

The opening shot with Tim Roth bleeding to death in the car? The commode story?

edited not to be condescending...

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL @ the editing remarks

yeah its a good directorial debut, but that doesn't make it a great movie either. Its impressive given what money he had to work with, but honestly I usually pass watching this and aim for Pulp Fiction or IB instead. (no, not Kill Bill, those movies were fucking atrocious).

For me the gritty realism and the dialogue was great. It was awesome in the theatres too (when movies were affordable - shakes cane. "get off my lawn")

I didn't think Kill Bill was atrocious, but not the greatest things ever for sure.

I liked Reservoir Dogs but it felt really small... like it was the middle part of a larger story. I guess that was kinda the point, being that it starts in the middle, then fills in some bits that happened before, but somehow it didn't feel as satisfying by the end.

• 2 months later...
Guest zaphod

kind of wish he'd use no names in a movie for once. i just look at those stills and see jamie foxx and leonardo dicaprio. thought christoph waltz was stanley tucci in a wig for a second.

jamie foxx seems like an ass but there's no doubt that he's clever and talented. I have no opinion of him as an actor tho...saw him in that Michael Mann Tom Cruise vehicle, he was just so-so...never saw Ray...

I think he deserved the oscar for Ray. I haven't noticed him in too many movies. Seems like a faded into the background a bit after Ray and Collateral.

He has to be a better choice than Will Smith in a movie like this, though. He was actually asked to play Django. I don't know if Jamie Foxx has that much of an edge, but Will Smith seems too family friendly and smiley for a QT flick. I think of him in Bad Boys and eeeehhhhh... nah.

i wish Jamie Foxx wasn't some kind of renegade free slave, just like i wished there weren't completely fake unbelievable jewish revenge renegades in Inglorious Basterds. America was so anti semitic at the time that we literally turned away jewish refugees escaping from concentration camps on a daily basis. I just wish QT even when he's being silly would show some of the real grit and darkness a little more, this fantasy 'what if we shot hitler in the face' bullshit does nothing for me but make me cringe and picard-palm hard. Best part about Basterds was Fassbender and Waltz everything else kind of reeked of 'try to hard'

i'll reserve judgment though (even though im already tearing assholes) Waltz and Dicaprio as a bad guy might just save this sinking ship

You know, now that he's more experienced as a director, and because he's been doing the over the top kinda "what if?" thing for a few movies now... I'd really like to see Tarantino go back and do a flick about some straight up modern organized crime. Like some Reservoir Dogs 2.0 type shit (not necessarily about a heist though), less of the fantasy crap, more of the gritty realism displayed in RD and Pulp Fiction. I'd watch the hell out of that.

Is this a serious movie? Has he ever made a non-comedy?

I agree with this but only up to a point - the flip side of tarrantino is that he can take (and quite often does) a 10 minute scene and drag it out needlessly for 20 minutes. He could've trimmed out 45 minutes or so of Jackie Brown and the movie would only have been better for it.

Harmony Korine is even worse about this. Actress does it, too.

Best part about Basterds was Fassbender and Waltz everything else kind of reeked of 'try to hard'

i'll reserve judgment though (even though im already tearing assholes) Waltz and Dicaprio as a bad guy might just save this sinking ship

agreed on both. DiCaprio looks surprisingly good in that single screenshot, and I usually hate DiCaprio. But a screenshot means nothing...

You know, now that he's more experienced as a director, and because he's been doing the over the top kinda "what if?" thing for a few movies now... I'd really like to see Tarantino go back and do a flick about some straight up modern organized crime. Like some Reservoir Dogs 2.0 type shit (not necessarily about a heist though), less of the fantasy crap, more of the gritty realism displayed in RD and Pulp Fiction. I'd watch the hell out of that.

As long as he doesn't make a sequel to Kill Bill after Django, I'll be happy. I fucking dread Kill Bill vol. 3. Leave that shit alone.

He said he's going to retire from making movies around age 60. Please don't go out with an unneccesary sequel.

He has to be a better choice than Will Smith in a movie like this, though. He was actually asked to play Django. I don't know if Jamie Foxx has that much of an edge, but Will Smith seems too family friendly and smiley for a QT flick. I think of him in Bad Boys and eeeehhhhh... nah.

I think Tarantino was courting Will Smith because of the fact that, on film, he's had no edge. It could have been kind of interesting to see "squeaky clean" Will Smith doing and saying things no would expect from him. I haven't read the script but some descriptions I've read say the script doesn't shy away from anything. At the same time, Smith's well crafted image has gotten him to the point where he's one of the biggest box office draws in the world so he would have a lot more to lose if the end result didn't work. I guess Tarantino settled for doing the same thing with DiCaprio.

Guest Wall Bird

I think Tarantino was courting Will Smith because of the fact that, on film, he's had no edge. It could have been kind of interesting to see "squeaky clean" Will Smith doing and saying things no would expect from him. I haven't read the script but some descriptions I've read say the script doesn't shy away from anything. At the same time, Smith's well crafted image has gotten him to the point where he's one of the biggest box office draws in the world so he would have a lot more to lose if the end result didn't work. I guess Tarantino settled for doing the same thing with DiCaprio.

[youtubehd]zkwTzy7T_Lw&feature=related[/youtubehd]

Gets me every time.

Archived