IGNORED

All albums best to worst

Dragon

1. Exai <<<<<<<<<<----

2. Chiastic Slide <<<----

3. Confield <<<----------- Contenders for some of the greatest electronic albums of all time. I think these all have been my #1 Autechre album at some point.

4. Untilted <<<-----------

5. Oversteps <<<---

6. Draft 7.30 <<<---

7. LP5 <<<----------- Excellent albums

8. Amber <<<-------

9. Quaristice <<<--

10. Incunabula <<<-- I still love these

11. Tri Repetae <<--- Great, but never got into it much.

Never did this, so here we go:

Chiastic Slide

Untilted

Quaristice++ (heehee)

Exai

Draft 7.30

LP5

Tri Repetae

Oversteps

Confield

Amber

Incunabula

...but I love them all! This was hard to do.

Btw. I'm feeling Exai will be my favourite AE album for a long time if not for ever. It's just an amazing colorful sonic journey that has no competitor for me. It's great the guys are still able to record something that I feel may be their greatest achievement in their career.

This! Exai is so great.

I'm not that taken with Exai either. I enjoyed it on first listen through shortly after its release and i've been coming back to it regularly since, but still it hasn't gelled in that special way autechre normally does. Length over depth on Exai, i dunno.

of the new stuff, L-event and especially that dilankex remix are far superior imo.

Like, while on Oversteps you could hear them simultaneously treading new territory whilst still having slight elements of Quaristice present.

Exai sounds like a mix of various previous ae styles through all their back catalogue, and all glossed over with that rubbery clubby reverb.

I don't see them pushing much boundary with Exai. It sounds a bit like they're drawing too much on old formulas, playing it a bit safe maybe, compared to some of their other stuff (esp around 2001-2007).

Maybe this was intentional and theu just wanted to have a blast with the album and not focus too much on something totally new, and that's fine. Just a noticable different I think.

Btw. I'm feeling Exai will be my favourite AE album for a long time if not for ever. It's just an amazing colorful sonic journey that has no competitor for me. It's great the guys are still able to record something that I feel may be their greatest achievement in their career.

This! Exai is so great.
Yes it alternates between detailed programming with a sense of entropy and bouts of extreme ornamentation with otherworldly spaciousness and meticulous rhythms

So glad they made it a double length album

My list goes something like this:

• Chiastic Slide
  • Exai
  • Amber
  • Untilted
  • Oversteps
  • Confield
  • Draft 7.30
  • Tri Repetae
  • Quaristice
  • Incoonaboola
  • LP5
The first five are the ones I really love; the order of the others is somewhat arbitrary and subject to change from listen to listen. There's not a single album that I don't like, they all have some great tracks.

My revised list c. 8/18/15

1. Confield

2. Chiastic Slide

3. Exai

4. Tri Repetae (sentimental reasons a factor)

5. Draft 7.30

6. Untilted

7. Oversteps

8. Lp5

9. Amber

10. Quarstice

11. Incunabula

Edited by PlatrixECV

ATM for me

LP's

Confield

Draft 7.30

LP5
Exai

Tri Repetae

Untilted

Quaristace

Chiastic Slide

Oversteps

Amber

Incunabula

Ep's

Garbage

EP7

L-event

Anti Ep

Move of Ten

Anvil Vapre

Cichlisuite

Envane

Making this makes me realize how much I appreciate all their releases. It's hard to put stuff on the bottom

• 1 month later...

Here's how my list looks:

LPs

Quaristice
Untilted
LP5

Chiastic Slide

Exai
DRAFT 7.30

confield
Oversteps
Tri Repetae

Amber
Incunabula

EPs

Anti EP
Envane

Cichlisuite

Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae
Digital Exclusive EP
We R Are Why / Are Y Are We?
L-event
Garbage
Peel Session
EP7
Peel Pession 2
Gantz Graf
move of ten
Basscad,EP

The EPs are more arbitrary. For one I'm not as familiar with all of them, and two I'm not sure to count Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae or not. I just put it in there for fun. I'd say the first three are tops, and the rest can really depend.

pre 97 ae isn't really ae so i'm completely ignoring it.

i haven't listened to confield, quaristice and untilted in full for a while, but still:

1. chiastic slide

2. confield

3. draft

4. exai

5. lp5

6. untilted

7. quaristice.

8. oversteps

• 2 years later...

I love Exai, I just hope after 20, 14 & 17 track LPs that the next one is a bit different (<10).

lol

it is less than 10, but in hrs

Group 1

Untitled

Confield

Group 2

Amber

Chiastic Slide

Group 3

Quaristice

Draft 7:30

Exai (veeeeery premature, just feel its nestled in this group)

Group 4

Tri Repetae

Oversteps

Group 5

LP5

(Still dont own Incunabula, but love the track Kalpol Intro)

Still pretty much the same deal for me;

1. Untilted

2. Confield

---------------

3. Amber

4. Chiastic Slide

---------------

5. Exai

---------------

6. Quaristice

7. Draft 7:30

---------------

8. Tri Repetae

9. Oversteps

---------------

10. LP5

Still yet to listen to Incunabula. Saving it for when the in-between-ae-releases pangs start hitting hard.

Not a lot has changed I guess, except that Exai has consolidated itself in outright 5th for me. All are great, in fact, Oversteps isn't far outside my top 100 favourite albums, and comes in 9th here. LP5 comes last because it just hasn't left much of an LP impression on me to date. I've had it for 3.5 years, listened a couple times, but it hasn't really spoken to me yet as a whole piece. Still some excellent tracks though.

post-NTS, my children as they currently stand (just the "studio albums"):

1. Untilted

2. Confield

3. Amber

4. Chiastic Slide

5. NTS Sessions 1-4 (for now)

6. Exai

7. Draft 7.30

^all-time top 100 faves

8. Quaristice

9. Tri Repetae

10. Oversteps

11. Elseq 1-5 (Elseq1 little higher)

12. LP5

They're all great. Given the 21 hours or so of official newies in the last 2.5 years, still haven't caught up with Incunabula yet.

Edited by Roo

So very confused by LP5 being so low on your list Roo

But, I’m coming to terms that everyone Autechres in a different way, and my Autechre isn’t always everyone else’s Autechre

Making this makes me realize how much I appreciate all their releases. It's hard to put stuff on the bottom

Something has to come last, as unfair and excruciating as the perceived slight is.

Like how Lolita (1962) is an excellent film, but arguably not a top 10 Kubrick film.

Edited by Roo

tri repetae++ is my favorite pre-confield work (it was my introduction to autechre back in the day so it's probably just sentimental favoritism)

quaristice is my least favorite post-confield work (I made a custom mix of tracks from it that I really enjoy but there are too many clunkers in the main body to ignore)

Everything else is a linear progression of improvement.

Actually I guess I consider Oversteps an outlier. To me it's a separate entity that I cherish in its own way. I added iris was a pupil, no border and ylm0 from move of ten to the playlist before Yuop and it feels singularly complete to me.

Every other musician or group i've really been into has basically gotten worse over time if not stopped making music completely but autechre have just kept improving through all these years. The greatest of all time.

Edited by orchard disk

For me all Autechre albums are the best, so my list is not a best-to-worst, but a favourite list. I mean only triggered by my emotional connection to the album.

1. Chiastic Slide

2. EP7

3. "LP5"

4. NTS Sessions 1-4

5. Oversteps/Move of Ten

6. Quaristice

7. Confield

8. Tri Repetae

9. elseq 1-5

10. Amber

11. Draft 7.30

12. Incunabula

13. Untilted

I doesn't included Exai, because I still don't own it (should be changed for next week) and only listened to it superficially on the subway in mp3 through the phone. AE_Live is missing also, I need to find the time to swallow that whale...

For me all Autechre albums are the best, so my list is not a best-to-worst, but a favourite list. I mean only triggered by my emotional connection to the album.

1. Chiastic Slide

2. EP7

3. "LP5"

4. NTS Sessions 1-4

5. Oversteps/Move of Ten

6. Quaristice

7. Confield

8. Tri Repetae

9. elseq 1-5

10. Amber

11. Draft 7.30

12. Incunabula

13. Untilted

I doesn't included Exai, because I still don't own it (should be changed for next week) and only listened to it superficially on the subway in mp3 through the phone. AE_Live is missing also, I need to find the time to swallow that whale...

Don't swallow whole, it's a lot to digest.

I don't think I could order autechre albums like this. I mean I think some I could, but mostly they all speak time in different ways.

People not counting album length EPs here? I mean EP7 I totally think of as an album. Move Of Ten feels more like 2 EPs tho, but that may only be cos I have it on vinyl.

My mistake, you said whale.

Don't swallow it whale either.

1. Chiastic Slide

2. EP7

3. "LP5"

4. NTS Sessions 1-4

5. Oversteps/Move of Ten

6. Quaristice

7. Confield

8. Tri Repetae

9. elseq 1-5

10. Amber

11. Draft 7.30

12. Incunabula

13. Untilted

Don't swallow whole, it's a lot to digest.

I don't think I could order autechre albums like this. I mean I think some I could, but mostly they all speak time in different ways.

People not counting album length EPs here? I mean EP7 I totally think of as an album. Move Of Ten feels more like 2 EPs tho, but that may only be cos I have it on vinyl.

My mistake, you said whale.

Don't swallow it whale either.

Yeah. I meant whale. Like in AE_LIVE is as big as a whale. :)

You must consider everything till (and including) Confield was already known by me, I just sold everything back then, and now I just re-purchased all this.

But still, I feel, that it is a lot. Specially for Utilted, Draft and elseq I will need more time. But I'm glad I have them in the collection.

I think of EP7 too as of an album, and Move of Ten is kinda Oversteps Part 2 for me.

Edited by Chabraendeky