IGNORED

All albums best to worst

Dragon

except comfort food is usually, you know, comfortable. the way you talk about exai is exactly how i feel about tomorrow's harvest. anyway, here's my list, though i'm not a big fan of autechre.

ep7

tri repetae

lp5

quaristice

amber

gets pointless after that, all varying degrees of indifference

it reminds me of quaristice, the 4 hours of music they released around that album ... i guess i can just make my own condensed album-length version out of the 2 hours of music they gave us, lol

except Quaristice was a collection of random, immediate jams which makes it easy to slice and dice bits out however you like them, whereas Exai is more consistent in feel and progressive.

except comfort food is usually, you know, comfortable. the way you talk about exai is exactly how i feel about tomorrow's harvest. anyway, here's my list, though i'm not a big fan of autechre.

ep7

tri repetae

lp5

quaristice

amber

gets pointless after that, all varying degrees of indifference

nice list, I guess you haven't gotten the distinct whiff of BoC being quite derivative as well? The main melody of Semena Merkwhatev is lifted directly from the start of a Mark Isham track, and the melody for Cold Earth is a modified version of a Vangelis track (same one they borrowed the seagulls from for Happy Cycling if my thread memory serves).

Basically in an album that I already felt was thin on musical ideas, turned out some of the better ones were copped from others.Disappointing really. Yeah I know where Aquarius came from and that they've sampled quite a bit in the past, but at least before it felt like there was enough good music to offset that or make it seem playful and insignificant. Not so with TH.

i probably don't listen to enough music to even know if boc is derivative, but if they can make me enjoy vangelis's cheesy bullshit then steal away.

i probably don't listen to enough music to even know if boc is derivative, but if they can make me enjoy vangelis's cheesy bullshit then steal away.

BOC isn't derivative, they were the first ones to ever use fuzzy synths

it reminds me of quaristice, the 4 hours of music they released around that album ... i guess i can just make my own condensed album-length version out of the 2 hours of music they gave us, lol

except Quaristice was a collection of random, immediate jams which makes it easy to slice and dice bits out however you like them, whereas Exai is more consistent in feel and progressive.

I don't find Quaristice to be random - sometimes maybe lucky but I consider it to be very well edited and structured.

Dunno, its too hard but ill do it on a whim. 3 tracks from each

Oversteps (kryLon, O=0, Yuop)

Untilted (Ipacial Section, Augmatic Disport and Sublimit)

Exai (vekos, nodezsh, tuinorizn)

LP5 (Vose In, Under BOAC and rae)

Confield (Lentic Catachresis, pen expers, cfern)

Amber (Slip, nine and piezo)

Tri Repetae (Rsdio, Rotar, Clipper)

Incanabula (444, windwind and Lowride)

Draft (6IE.CR, VL AL 5, Reniform Puls)

Chiastic Slide (Cichli, Recury, Cipater)

Quaristice (Alyibzz, parallel suns, simmm)

I still enjoy amber tri and inc, but Draft and Chiastic are probably deserving to go above them. All their albums are great to very good... even still finding a lot on Quaristice that i'm enjoying.

I still think they nailed Oversteps, don't find a fault with its presentation and don't even mind known(1).

^nice track choices on Exai. I get a feeling nodezsh is extremely underrated.

Nodezsh was my first instant favourite on Exai. On that first listen I got a beautifully vivid "daydream" going: Feverishly running around a far reaching maze (the one in the film Labyrinth seems very fitting) occasional bursts of hope being met with dead ends. A sky in the darkening purple shades of eternal dusk linger with grey clouds like debris sailing across.

• 5 weeks later...

^nice track choices on Exai. I get a feeling nodezsh is extremely underrated.

Nodezsh was my first instant favourite on Exai. On that first listen I got a beautifully vivid "daydream" going: Feverishly running around a far reaching maze (the one in the film Labyrinth seems very fitting) occasional bursts of hope being met with dead ends. A sky in the darkening purple shades of eternal dusk linger with grey clouds like debris sailing across.

Yesterday, I was listening to the whole Exai and it was for the first time ever that I did not found Nodezsh to be annoying. Maybe it is starting to grow on me or my fixed sleep cycle takes its part. Edited by Jev

Guest Roksen Creek

If anyone's curious (probably not), here's a tally of the lists so far, excluding Exai:

1. Confield (443.5)

2. LP5 (403)

3. Untilted (387.5)

4. Chiastic Slide (384)

5. Draft 7.30 (353)

6. Tri Repetae (330.5)

7. Oversteps (326.5)

8. Amber (301)

9. Quaristice (273.5)

10. Incunabula (203)

10 points for first, 9 for second etc etc. Incomplete lists not counted. Points split for joint placings. For those who voted twice, most detailed or latest list chosen.

I was really bored.

Exai is climbing steadily up the list, it's a fucking monster of an album. I can't see anything knocking chiastic slide off the top though - I got totally lost in that album when it came out.

Funny thing is though even I can identify albums at the bottom of the list, I still think they're really, really good albums. That's pretty incredible for an 11 album discography.

1. Chiastic Slide

2. Oversteps

3. Exai

4. Tri Repetae

5. Amber

6. LP5

7. Draft 7.30

8. Confield

9. Incunabula

10. Quaristice

11. Untilted

List will no doubt look totally different a month from now.

yeah I stick by my contention that they are the only band I like with such a long "winning" streak. Boggles my mind when you consider how groundbreaking their music is, too. I mean there are probably several other artists with equally good streaks who don't take as many risks, like Neil Young or Tom Waits or something. Guys who basically make great music but usually sound more or less the same.

It's not that they "can do no wrong", as they've done several things I think are pretty mediocre, but I like that they continue to push things and tinker and explore. Their work ethic is really impressive.

don't take as many risks... Tom Waits... sound more or less the same.

I could certainly argue that Tom waits has had a rather diverse output.

Sure most everything from Small Change-heartattack&vine is kind of interchangeable, but he started to experiment a great deal starting with Swordfishtrombones, lots us unusual instamentations, spoken word, and the growly voice came to prominence. Then starting with mule variations and beyond that experimentation went even further, with turntabales, vocal manipulations, beat boxing, even more bizarre instamentation, and eventually not even using a piano on Real Gone

Edited by fizzkinz

EARLY AUTECHRE

1. Amber

2. LP5

3. Incunabula

4. Chiastic Slide

5. Tri Repatae++

LATE AUTECHRE

1. Exai (this fucking album)

2. Confield

3. Draft 7.30

4. Untilted

5. Oversteps

6. Quaristice

Really want repressings of Early 90s to mid-2000s but I guess I will have to stick to dropping 70 bucks per LP for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Incunabula and Amber meaned a lot to me. Milestones. Seeing the list I get depressed. Quaristice is the one and only valid bottom.

Edited by Guest

usagi i love you meng but you need to stop drinking cause quaristice is fucking awesome, 20 mindwanking tracks ffs!

definatly in my alltime top 3 AE

mods you can ban me now

• 2 weeks later...

It changes a lot but right now:

Exai

Untilted

LP5

Confield

Draft 7.30

Quaristice

Incunabula

Tri Repetae

Amber

Oversteps

Chiastic Slide (Yeah, I know)

Btw. I'm feeling Exai will be my favourite AE album for a long time if not for ever. It's just an amazing colorful sonic journey that has no competitor for me. It's great the guys are still able to record something that I feel may be their greatest achievement in their career.

• 1 month later...

Amber

Quaristice/Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae

Incunabula

LP5

Exai

Tri Repetea/Anvil Vapre

Oversteps /Move Of Ten

Chiastic Slide

Anti EP

Draft/Untitled/Confield

Bold = 10/10