Quaristice
Oversteps
Move Of Ten
Exai

AE_Live
Elseq 1-5

NTS Sessions

The best Autechre album?

Whatever AE album I'm currently listening to...

The 'worst' AE album?

Whatever album I haven't listened to recently...

=P

The best Autechre album?

Whatever AE album I'm currently listening to...

The 'worst' AE album?

Whatever album I haven't listened to recently...

=P

While I realize this is all in slight jest

I can’t support this

It’s been a while since I last put on Confeild or EP7, and it’s not because of any distaste

NTS overtook my AE attention, and its release spurred me to go back and revisit elseq and AE_live just to see how it all evolved to where we are now.

Then I went back and relistened to oversteps and move of ten because some of the back half of NTS reignited that sound palette in me

I feel like the time in my life when my listening habits are least reflective of my personal preference is right after a release

All of this can be restated as follows:

AE are good

Edited by fizzkinz

Sorry. No offense meant.

But every album is... Mind-blowingly amazing.

Seriously... Whatever album I'm listen to by AE becomes my favorite... I'll listen to it for a few days, non-stop, and it'll move up on my favorites list.

That is... Until I throw another one of their albums on... In which case, that becomes one of my favorites... And I won't be able to stop listening to it over and over and over...

The cycle repeats...

I can't say one album is better than any others because-seriously-whatever AE album is coming through my speakers at any given moment winds up bein my 'favorite' album for the next few days.

Right now it's the Dublin set from AE_Live. A few days ago, it was Confield... Before that, it was EP7... Before that... Whatever NTS Sessions session I was listening to would completely blow my mind out of the water and I'd question if it was the best thing Ronny and Sasha had ever done.

<shrug>

Saying one is better than any other just makes me feel dirty.

=X

To summarize...

AE=good... A total understatement.

AE is the one musical act I would choose to listen to, non-stop, if I had to only choose one musical act to listen to for the rest of my life...

And I would enjoy and feel honored to hear every single second of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just an obsessed fanboy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Whatchoogonnado?

<(シ. .)シ the Autechre, and keep them close... NEVER let them go>

Edited by Hk47

It doesn't really add much analysis to the discussion. You can love and appreciate them all deeply, have phases where you are more in the mood for a Pablo Honey over an OK Computer, and yet, through multiple phases of listening throughout the years, garner a higher appreciation for some over others, particularly as they subjectively integrate with personal experiences and blow you away in different contexts. The albums might transport you to different places, or shine more brightly in different settings and set-ups.

Saying Autechre is good, all their releases are spectacular and that they might as well be your desert island act if given a single choice, is about as cliche as it gets around here, a lot of us have said something similar at one point. It doesn't demonstrate or generate much reflection. At crunch-time, if you had to save some vinyls from the fire and leave the others to burn, you'd have to follow your instincts and save whichever one means the most to you. Otherwise, you might as well ignore titles and context and just press shuffle play on anything to do with Autechre.

Edited by Roo

It doesn't really add much analysis to the discussion. You can love and appreciate them all deeply, have phases where you are more in the mood for a Pablo Honey over an OK Computer, and yet, through multiple phases of listening throughout the years, garner a higher appreciation for some over others, particularly as they subjectively integrate with personal experiences and blow you away in different contexts. The albums might transport you to different places, or shine more brightly in different settings and set-ups.

Saying Autechre is good, all their releases are spectacular and that they might as well be your desert island act if given a single choice, is about as cliche as it gets around here, a lot of us have said something similar at one point. It doesn't demonstrate or generate much reflection. At crunch-time, if you had to save some vinyls from the fire and leave the others to burn, you'd have to follow your instincts and save whichever one means the most to you. Otherwise, you might as well ignore titles and context and just press shuffle play on anything to do with Autechre.

You're totally right. Sorry.

You're totally right. Sorry.
I have to disagree. "Means most to me" doesn't equal "best".

"Best" and "worst" are qualitative criteria, "means most" a sentimental one.

The very different lists in the thread show that most of us have only sentimental lists (me including, but I've stated this right front), and the reason is that the musical quality is thoroughly exceptional high in the discography.

On a quality-based list can be agreed, and it can remain unchanged. A sentiment-based one can change whitin minutes, and is different for everybody.

So I get it, when someone refuses to stick to his present variation.

In case of the mentioned fire he would just pick what at the moment is most valueable for him. But if the fire comes a week later he would likely pick another one.

Edited by Chabraendeky

Yeah, but...

That doesn't really add anything to this thread...

Most of us want to profess our undying love for AE... But this is a crunch time thread. And I had no buisness posting what I did here. It added nothing to the conversation.

I apologize for the slight derailment of this awesome thread... It's great seeing what albums you all hold up as the 'top of the top'.

Edited by Hk47

I apologize for the slight derailment of this awesome thread... It's great seeing what albums you all hold up as the 'top of the top'.

You should feel deeply ashamed for your terrible mistake.

ban this sick filth

"Best" and "worst" are qualitative criteria, "means most" a sentimental one.

But where to draw the line? What are purely "objective" evaluations of art? Who's to establish what quantifiable criteria? Is Fernyhough better than Bach because he crams more notes into one bar? Or is it alledged innovation value? But isn't this subject to change, too? Like Gesualdo was scoffed at for hundreds of years til some popular composers decided his off key shit is actually brilliant?

Sorry, but this is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I call bullshit.

You should feel deeply ashamed for your terrible mistake.

ban this sick filth

Down with this sort of thing!

Careful now.

Edit: o ffs

Edited by EXTRASUPER81

Early stuff up to Chiastic are my summer Autechres. Oversteps is long winter walks & misty nights.

Exai, Elseq and to some degree Quaristice are probably their most hit and miss albums for me

The tri force of Confield, Draft and Untilted is hard to top, NTS is catching up though.

Favorites are always in flux, mostly listen to playlists anyway.

Your hatred for elseq is irrational and SAD

I feel there's still good in him, he will get it eventually.
My dislike for elseq is:

1. Legal

2. Correct

3. Ordained as Truth by God

4. The right way to have an opinion, to take every single chance to bring it up and therefore converting others to the truth of it.

5. Proven because lmao just listen to it lol clean yr ears my dudes & dudettes ;)

Also: there is no good left in me. There's much good in NTS though so Ae have redeemed themselves. I was about to have to start liking Plaid or two other white brits but it's all good now, order is restored.

:D

And AJW^ got the right idea on stuff, with you on all points. Almost time for some Tri Rep now that it's getting towards summer.

Edited by auxien