IGNORED

All albums best to worst

Dragon

NTS Sessions

EP7

Confield

el seq

Exai/L-Event (I consider them one whole)

Cichlisuite

Peel Session 2

LP5

Draft 7.30

Oversteps/Move of Ten (same as exai/l-event)

Envane

Amber

Incunabula

Peel Session 1

Gantz Graf

Anti

Garbage

Anvil Vapre

Tri Repetae

Basscadet

We R Are Why

Chiastic Slide

Untilted

Quaristice (its kind of OK mixing in and out tracks with the two bonus versions. Otherwise they sound like loose jams cobbled together. That hour long track is dope.)

...Cavity Job  :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Entorwellian

The most interesting weather album to me is Oversteps. It fits summer and winter in equal measure but unfolds a completely different kind of magic during each.

Agreed, I think setting is the key with Oversteps. I'd describe it more as pastoral than seasonal.

Sooo... I wound up making a list...

Woo! Go me!

AE_Live

EXAI

Confield

elseq

Untilted

NTS Sessions (For the moment - this will probably move up as time goes on)

Draft 7.30

L-Event

Oversteps

Move Of Ten

Tri Repetae

Quaristice

Chiastic Slide

Quaristice.Quadrange

Anvil Vapre

Garbage

LP5

Gantz Graf

EP7

Envane

Incunabula

Anti

Amber

Basscad.EP

**edit**

please don't ban me. 

='(

I'll atone for my grievous sins this weekend by swallowing 18 pieces of hot coal, driving hypodermic needles under each of my fingernails and then finish it off by licking the metal in my freezer. 

Edited by Hk47

I'm pretty much surprised, that Untilted get's so high ranked by a lot of people. I'm still digesting it, but for the first few listens it doesn't felt very special for me.

Any tips how I can get more into this album?

Untilted took a while to click for me. A mate has it on vinyl, listened to it loud and high round his once and it finally did. You know how it is with autechre, sometimes it just takes time (sometimes years) and the right situation.

Dunno about the effect of listening to vinyl. I preferred Untilted on vinyl but may have been other environmental factors. I'm conflicted about vinyl ha.

I'm pretty much surprised, that Untilted get's so high ranked by a lot of people. I'm still digesting it, but for the first few listens it doesn't felt very special for me.

Any tips how I can get more into this album?

Untilted took a while to click for me. A mate has it on vinyl, listened to it loud and high round his once and it finally did. You know how it is with autechre, sometimes it just takes time (sometimes years) and the right situation.

Dunno about the effect of listening to vinyl. I preferred Untilted on vinyl but may have been other environmental factors. I'm conflicted about vinyl ha.

Isn't the vinyl edition of Untilted mastered quite differently? I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that somewhere...

incunabula

LP5

draft 7.30

amber

chiastic slide

tri repitae

untilted

oversteps

elseq

exai

quaristice

nts

This is a weirdly fascinating one

is it because i totally forgot confield? lol

Didn't even notice lol. Nah just a very strange (to me) ordering there.

well after going back and relistening to a bunch of albums, it's probably more like this:

incunabula

LP5

confield / draft 7.30

untilted

chiastic slide

amber

tri repetae

oversteps

quaristice

exai

I chopped elseq cause I really didn't listen to that as an album, and nts cause I only listened to session 1 and I cant motivate myself to go through 3 more. Incunabula and LP5 are way ahead of the pack. Incunabula could be separated because I enjoy it mostly for sentimental reasons, but at the same time, it's got an ethereal, spacey vibe that I don't think they've matched before. Not saying I wished they'd stuck with this style for too long, especially considering I don't like amber or oversteps nearly as much. I think draft has better individual tracks than confield, but confield is a wayyyyyy more satisfying album listen than draft, so they're about even to me. Lentic catachresis as a closer is absolutely unreal. The rest of the list is pretty self-explanatory, but idk if it's more or less strange than the one before.

Well shit, this is a hard one!

Chiastic Slide

LP5

Tri Rep

EP7

Confield

NTS (?, still digesting)

Exai

Draft

Amber

Oversteps

Untilted

Elseq

Incunabula

Quaristice

Yeah... Maybe... I don't know. Best eps are Cichli, Envane, Garbage most definitely. EP7 is an album to me.

• 2 years later...

It's easier for me to place them into tiers:

1. elseq 1-5 , Quaristice , NTS Sessions
  2. Exai , Draft 7.30 , Untilted , Confield
  3. Oversteps , LP5 , Chiastic Slide , EP7
  4. Lego Feet , Tri Repetae , Amber , Warp Tapes 
  5. Incunabula
  • Like 1

took a little while but I think this is a pretty good representation of how I feel about their mainline albums. I made a chronological list of all 13 and then sorted each one, starting from the bottom, based on whether I like one entry more than the one above it, then repeated until I was satisfied.

1. Untilted

2. Draft 7.30

3. Quaristice

4. Oversteps

5. Exai

6. Incunabula

7. Tri Repetae

8. Elseq

9. LP5

10. Chiastic Slide

11. Confield

12. NTS Sessions

13. Amber

from ep7 onwards it is not possible for me to establish any priorities, it is as if, having reached a certain degree, everything that came out afterwards represents different aspects of this "maturity". I can only say that I don't love tri-repetae and incunabula - I'm surprised how often they are considered to be best works -, but what is better between exai and untilted - according to what parameter? - it is a bit like establishing which is the best painting by Klimt or the best writing by Kant: are we not talking about a field where the best and the worst have been overcome?

• Like 1

from ep7 onwards it is not possible for me to establish any priorities, it is as if, having reached a certain degree, everything that came out afterwards represents different aspects of this "maturity". I can only say that I don't love tri-repetae and incunabula - I'm surprised how often they are considered to be best works -, but what is better between exai and untilted - according to what parameter? - it is a bit like establishing which is the best painting by Klimt or the best writing by Kant: are we not talking about a field where the best and the worst have been overcome?
You make a good point, I may need to reconsider

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

I made my list according to my feelings with no further objective criteria. I can prefer one set of tracks over another, i.e. I can ask myself "would I rather listen to this album or this album" and then answer, also recognizing that my answer to that question could change given certain circumstances (how I'm feeling, where/how I'm listening, etc.). The only parts of my list that I knew instantly were that I wanted Untilted and Draft in the top 2 and Amber at the bottom, the rest of the albums I had to evaluate against each other.

Edited by mushroom

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the top few and bottom few it's hard to really rank them. I think elsq and NTS are near bottom simply because of their length and my inability to fully digest them within 4 years. Forget trying to rank them individually among the discography. Quaristice could actually be higher.

1. Tri repetae
  2. Incunabula
  3. EP7 (cheating because it's that good)
  4. Amber
  5. LP5
  6. Draft 7.30
  7. Untilted
  8. Exai
  9. Chiastic Slide
  10. Confield
  11. elseq 1-5
  12. NTS Session 1-4
  13. Quaristice
  14. Oversteps

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah this is too hard. At any given time I could give a totally different list. They’re one of the only groups that I can’t really find any fault with after 20+ years of digesting and enjoying and stuff. 

This th red a

:psyduck:

Ranking albums from... best to worse ?

well I supposed in 1994 u wd say Amber is best

and in 2008 : Untilted is next level shit, the best, compared wit quaridrange or what

arrggg I hate Quaristice 

lel

then in 2013 : this is the one, the chosen, not monolithic, but with bangers and suun  beat fuckery while rub is cleaning rocks with vacuum 

the love for autechre is revolving and changing within you, and with ae carrer too, and that’s the magic here.

the ´chre Can be a time capsule

the memories brought by old ae And the curiousity about the next one is one of the things that holds me on this planet. Otherwise would be in Saturn rings flying like a frozen eagle

soz’ I’m high

• Like 1