IGNORED

mhtrtc

acroyear

It feels to me that Geogaddi gets the most praise here. Music has the Right is the defining album of BoC in my ears. Maybe it's my age, I just don't know... I get the fucking JUICE from this record, and I have been getting it since 1998. Just sit and listen to it. By the time you're halfway through, and Aquarius hits, don't you feel sexy? Geogaddi has brilliant moments. Great record and all, but where's the love for MHTRTC? Granted, I'm sure you all love it. And I'm pandering for the love, but what gives? The album is just unimaginable. It has soul that I just can't explain. Can anyone tell me how this isn't the high water mark for them? Fucking please. The record is almost 15 years old, and it's still in rotation in my lifestyle every week. Geogaddi gets a few complete plays a year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This album just "clicked" with me this week. Of course I already listened to it multiple times but I never really got the album - until now. The icy weather we had this week was perfect with the music, and finally all the songs made sense. I used to love Geogaddi alot more than MHTRTC but it's a whole another story now...

Icey weather has changed my musical outlook many times. Last year I listened to "Oversteps" trudging through 2 feet of snow on my Walkman. I was completely addicted to "Treale".

It feels to me that Geogaddi gets the most praise here. Music has the Right is the defining album of BoC in my ears. Maybe it's my age, I just don't know... I get the fucking JUICE from this record, and I have been getting it since 1998. Just sit and listen to it. By the time you're halfway through, and Aquarius hits, don't you feel sexy? Geogaddi has brilliant moments. Great record and all, but where's the love for MHTRTC? Granted, I'm sure you all love it. And I'm pandering for the love, but what gives? The album is just unimaginable. It has soul that I just can't explain. Can anyone tell me how this isn't the high water mark for them? Fucking please. The record is almost 15 years old, and it's still in rotation in my lifestyle every week. Geogaddi gets a few complete plays a year.

I'd say a lot of the whole 'BoC Cult' thing has to do with the reason why Geogaddi gets so much praise.

For what it's worth, I rate Music Has The Right To Children way way above Geogaddi

"music has the right..." is a beautiful album but i prefer Geogaddi by a long shot, the atmosphere is just different and darker, songs like sunshine recorder just make it a masterpiece.

but wow 15years!

"music has the right..." is a beautiful album but i prefer Geogaddi by a long shot, the atmosphere is just different and darker, songs like sunshine recorder just make it a masterpiece.

but wow 15years!

I posit that An Eagle In Your Mind is darker than the entirety of Geogaddi.

My problem with people saying that Geogaddi is dark is that it's too obvious. It's all up in yo grill.

i got music has the right... after Geogaddi, it just instantly clicked with me but Geogaddi is the album i keep comming back to after all these years. Each their own flavor, both are just great albums

I just think it's a better album.

I actually agree. I've always preferred mhtrtc. Geogaddi is great. a classic. but mhtrtc is my favourite thing they've done.

followed closely by Hi Scores. and then iabpoitc.

mhtrtc is actually just over 13 years old now, isn't it? didn't it come out in late '98?

but wow 15years!

My problem with people saying that Geogaddi is dark is that it's too obvious. It's all up in yo grill.

yeah. i never thought Geo was that "dark". it's a bit more sinister and weird in places, i suppose, but like you say, it's obviously so. there's a lot more variation in mhtrtc, as well. i think the beats, and the basslines/melodies, are better. Geo is definitely so much more obvious and up in yo grill, and dare i say it, simpler.

but both have a very different mood and atmosphere to them, imo.

mhtrtc kinda feels like they put all the good stuff on twoism and hi scores, and these are just outtakes.

nah way. Twoism isn't really that great anyway, imho.

This is fun because An Eagle In Your Mind sounds like one of the less "dark" tracks on MHTRTC to me, it's way lighter than Turquoise Hexagon Sun or Pete Standing Alone, for example...

This is fun because An Eagle In Your Mind sounds like one of the less "dark" tracks on MHTRTC to me, it's way lighter than Turquoise Hexagon Sun or Pete Standing Alone, for example...

Turquoise Hexagon Sun does have a cool sinister undercurrent, but I honestly can't hear any darkness in Pete Standing Alone at all.

Turquoise Hexagon Sun does have a cool sinister undercurrent, but I honestly can't hear any darkness in Pete Standing Alone at all.

It's a good thing we don't get the same feelings when we listen to the same music, it would be pretty boring otherwise :lol: But yeah I think of Pete Standing Alone as being a very creepy track, way creepier than most of the stuff on Geogaddi (which I, despite its weirdness, associate to lighter feelings than MHTRTC).

It's a good thing we don't get the same feelings when we listen to the same music, it would be pretty boring otherwise :lol:

Totally agree, it'd be pretty shit.

But yeah I think of Pete Standing Alone as being a very creepy track, way creepier than most of the stuff on Geogaddi (which I, despite its weirdness, associate to lighter feelings than MHTRTC).

:beer:

But yeah I think of Pete Standing Alone as being a very creepy track, way creepier than most of the stuff on Geogaddi (which I, despite its weirdness, associate to lighter feelings than MHTRTC).

same here.

it's hard to actually describe Geogaddi. because it's not even that weird or sinister, really.

i think of it as an Autumnal-sounding sort of record. but then you have tracks like 1969... and other summery vibes.

edit: i suppose it's just some of the samples they've used and all that reversed nonsense that's given it this weird/sinister vibe. people have just read way too much into it, which has given it this mysterious, cult-like power. *something about 'collective consciousness' goes here*.

Maybe it's just me, but I have realized that the earlier Boc's release is, it sounds more magical to me. Starting from The Campfire Headphase, which although a great release, simply doesn't have that something for me (compared to their earlier stuff). Geogaddi is for me little more magical, but still not as special as MHTRTC, and yet both are not as great to me as Twoism and Hi Scores, in my opinion the greatest Boc (official) releases when it comes to the average song quality, containing all perfect tracks. Also, lately I have just fully realized how great Old Tunes 2 is, especially tracks like Mukhinabaht, Magic Teens, Zander Two and Orange Hexagon Sun. Such a great tracks. I hope that one day (deep in the future) we'll get the official release of those. I can also only imagine how fantastic the Catalog 3 must be.

same here.

it's hard to actually describe Geogaddi. because it's not even that weird or sinister, really.

i think of it as an Autumnal-sounding sort of record. but then you have tracks like 1969... and other summery vibes.

Exactly. I don't get all the "satanist" or apocalyptic influences that were supposedly hidden in the album or whatever. It of course is kind of melancholic, but which BoC release isn't ?

Maybe this is what blocked me with MHTRTC at first, maybe it was too nostalgic, too sad ; it took more time to dig its old turquoise photography than the delicious orange sleeve of Geogaddi...

Also, lately I have just fully realized how great Old Tunes 2 is, especially tracks like Mukhinabaht, Magic Teens, Zander Two and Orange Hexagon Sun. Such a great tracks. I hope that one day (deep in the future) we'll get the official release of those. I can also only imagine how fantastic the Catalog 3 must be.

yeah. remaster and (re)release ALL the old (unreleased properly) stuff, please. on vinyl. Warp (& BoC) would clear up!

Archived