Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mhtrtc
mhtrtc vs Geogaddi

the comfort factor

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,803 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I get the fucking JUICE from this record, and I have been getting it since 1998. Just sit and listen to it. By the time you're halfway through, and Aquarius hits, don't you feel sexy?

This... there's just something about it. Geogaddi had this subdued anger to it and MHTRTC was the weird but cool hippie kid at the party that just got along with everyone. I like Geogaddi too but MHTRTC pumps me up. Probably my favorite summer album ever.

#52 Guest_sirch_*

Guest_sirch_*
  • Guests
  • 59 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

there's that word "Summer" again. wut.

i guess it depends when you first heard it...

but it's totally WInter.

#53 Caretstik

Caretstik

I Bagsy Yours.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts
  • 59 topics
  • Joined 12-July 06

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

An album I have to listen to in its entirety. Some of the tracks in isolation just don't seem to work for me somehow.

#54 Caretstik

Caretstik

I Bagsy Yours.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 12-July 06

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

In spite of that though, Olson is far and away my favourite BoC track ever.

#55 Guest_couch_*

Guest_couch_*
  • Guests
  • 10 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

Interesting to see peoples varying opinions on these albums. MHTR never occurred to me as being even remotely dark. Perhaps in a blissful way it could be.

Kinda cool to see one dude here say MHTR for him must be listened to in it's entirety. While for me, it's more of a collection of random unrelated songs. Usually when I put that album in I skip all over the place to hear specific tracks. Geogaddi to me is the one I have to hear cover to cover.

Can't believe some of you guys are getting your panties in a wad over differing opinions on a fucking music album though.

#56 Mugsey

Mugsey

Lord Of This World

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • 247 topics
  • Joined 27-March 06

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Even though it sounds very cobbled together so to speak MHTRTC was my first impression of BOC and will always be my favourite.

I remember first hearing ROYGBIV on that NME sampler CD that also gave me my first impression of GY!BE and my mind was blown.

#57 cloud capture

cloud capture

1000 Club

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 15-October 11
  • Interests:organic farming
    photography
    music
    video games
    nature

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Turns out everybody is correct about which album is their favorite or not. Arguing about it is just a waste of everyone's time.

My buddy had a copy of hi scores reserved for him at y&t on release day. I got to play it out that night at paragon. I had only heard 1 of the boc mix-tapes previously. The only track on that I recall was the nursery rhyme track from mask 500.

So hi scores had a pretty big impact on me in terms of my favorite boc.

#58 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,979 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

telephasic workshop ripped my face off when I first heard it. more than 12 years has passed since then and it still does it to me. one of favorite tracks of all time.

I enjoy both albums immensely but I gotta go with geogaddi as an album. it just feels more like a proper and very focused album. if I were going to a desert island and was only allowed 1 boc cd it would have to be geogaddi.

I think.

#59 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 59 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

For what it's worth, I rate Music Has The Right To Children way way above Geogaddi

:cisfor:

#60 zupiclone

zupiclone

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 31-January 12

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

geogaddi

is there no 'poll' option on watmm?

you're just a fucking retard

honestly

you racist fucking cuntwipe

:cerious:

#61 Ivan Ooze

Ivan Ooze

i kill and eat everybody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts
  • 76 topics
  • Joined 22-January 12
  • Interests:musick

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

lol this forum
i just wish they pinned every cool release of the subforum artists, Oversteps has it :cerious: why not the rest?
don't think a poll is a good idea as it just spreads move bloodshed amongst the superhardcore boc elite

#62 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 1,773 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

this subforum doesn't need a poll, It needs some new music.

#63 Guest_Xenblake_*

Guest_Xenblake_*
  • Guests
  • 12 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

people have just read way too much into it, which has given it this mysterious, cult-like power.

There's this mysterious cult-like power about it, which gives way for deep interpretations.

#64 Murveman

Murveman

Oh Dooky-kins!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • 134 topics
  • Joined 04-September 06

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

I go through phases where I kind of like this album, and then I'll forget about it for a while.

I like MHTRC and Geogaddi, but Campfire Headphase and Hi Scores (minus nlogax) are still my favorites. Hell, I think I like BOC Maxima more. Wish there was a proper release.

#65 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,322 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Even though it sounds very cobbled together so to speak MHTRTC was my first impression of BOC and will always be my favourite.

I remember first hearing ROYGBIV on that NME sampler CD that also gave me my first impression of GY!BE and my mind was blown.

Considering the fact that a lot of the songs previously appeared on their Old Tunes private releases, as well as their demo they shopped around before signing to SKAM/WARP, BoC Maxima... but this is probably the case for a lot of bands getting started - take the best stuff they've made prior to getting signed, and then put them all together for their seminal release.

Personally, I think MHTRTC is my favourite as well - despite the fact it was the first BoC I heard outside of a MP3 sent to me of Orange Romeda ages ago... Orange Romeda is what set me off on BoC.

#66 Mugsey

Mugsey

Lord Of This World

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 27-March 06

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

For sure, Incunabula was pretty much the same.

#67 Guest_sirch_*

Guest_sirch_*
  • Guests
  • 3 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

people have just read way too much into it, which has given it this mysterious, cult-like power.

There's this mysterious cult-like power about it, which gives way for deep interpretations.

is this more Twoism-talk, again ?

#68 lumpenprol

lumpenprol

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Forget the music, I just want a new album to drop so we can get more new photos of them getting old. I bet Mike's fat.

#69 kinski

kinski

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • 1,773 topics
  • Joined 23-November 10

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

Considering the fact that a lot of the songs previously appeared on their Old Tunes private releases, as well as their demo they shopped around before signing to SKAM/WARP, BoC Maxima... but this is probably the case for a lot of bands getting started - take the best stuff they've made prior to getting signed, and then put them all together for their seminal release.

someone wise once said that the best thing about first album is that you have your whole life to write it, where for every next one it's only a couple of years each. or something to that effect.

unlss you're boc, then you have another 25 years every 3 albums

#70 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,178 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

NEECCRROOOBBUUUMMPPPP.

Is it me or does this:

Sound like BoC's tribute to this:

(or has my brain gone wonky)

#71 Gyroscopic

Gyroscopic

"knob" twiddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 14-May 13
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/sigex1/
  • Interests:Not that many surprisingly.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

NEECCRROOOBBUUUMMPPPP.

Is it me or does this:

Sound like BoC's tribute to this:

(or has my brain gone wonky)

You're not the only one. Good find.

#72 melancholera

melancholera

Remember

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Joined 16-September 11

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:42 PM

Some thoughts:

Olson's main wobbly fat synth is one of the most perfectly sublime sounds of all time. 

The rising spooky sustained melody in An Eagle in Your Mind @ 3:18, which repeats twice. Feels like the blissful twilight moments right before you fall asleep. Whenever I get a new stereo system, it's one of the first tracks I listen to. The percussion is really multidimensional listened to on quality speakers/headphones.

Kaini Industries and Bocuma are two of my favorites of their short tracks.

For me one of the underlying emotions of the album that I don't see talked about much is loneliness. Loneliness in the least self-pitying way. 

I don't know if they ever topped the percussion production on this album. Well, maybe Geogaddi. 

The song I am most tempted to skip when I listen is usually Colour of the Fire. It's not bad, just..I dunno. May be heresy, but I wonder if the track might be better without the Sesame Street sample.

Open the Light is another wonder of production. Wish I could have whatever the bass synth sound is.

If you were trying to get a newcomer into the band, is there anything better than ROYGBIV? I don't think so.

#73 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,322 posts
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

Arguably one of the most important electronic albums (or dare I say album of any genre) of the 20th century.

#74 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,178 posts
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Oh it's definitely up there! I remember the first time hearing it: I was lent the CD by a friend that I'd had a brief falling out with, and when I stuck it on was determined to hate it to spite him (not sure why that was the thought process!). Within the space of three tracks I had tears in my eyes from how beautiful it was, until that point I'd never heard anything like this sound before. Like it sounded both simultaneously completely up to date and also a complete throwback to my childhood memory of music from 80s TV shows

#75 NewSchoolScience

NewSchoolScience

hello

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

telephasic workshop ripped my face off when I first heard it. more than 12 years has passed since then and it still does it to me. one of favorite tracks of all time.

This