IGNORED

mhtrtc

acroyear

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see peoples varying opinions on these albums. MHTR never occurred to me as being even remotely dark. Perhaps in a blissful way it could be.

Kinda cool to see one dude here say MHTR for him must be listened to in it's entirety. While for me, it's more of a collection of random unrelated songs. Usually when I put that album in I skip all over the place to hear specific tracks. Geogaddi to me is the one I have to hear cover to cover.

Can't believe some of you guys are getting your panties in a wad over differing opinions on a fucking music album though.

Even though it sounds very cobbled together so to speak MHTRTC was my first impression of BOC and will always be my favourite.

I remember first hearing ROYGBIV on that NME sampler CD that also gave me my first impression of GY!BE and my mind was blown.

Turns out everybody is correct about which album is their favorite or not. Arguing about it is just a waste of everyone's time.

My buddy had a copy of hi scores reserved for him at y&t on release day. I got to play it out that night at paragon. I had only heard 1 of the boc mix-tapes previously. The only track on that I recall was the nursery rhyme track from mask 500.

So hi scores had a pretty big impact on me in terms of my favorite boc.

telephasic workshop ripped my face off when I first heard it. more than 12 years has passed since then and it still does it to me. one of favorite tracks of all time.

I enjoy both albums immensely but I gotta go with geogaddi as an album. it just feels more like a proper and very focused album. if I were going to a desert island and was only allowed 1 boc cd it would have to be geogaddi.

I think.

lol this forum

i just wish they pinned every cool release of the subforum artists, Oversteps has it :cerious: why not the rest?

don't think a poll is a good idea as it just spreads move bloodshed amongst the superhardcore boc elite

Guest Xenblake

people have just read way too much into it, which has given it this mysterious, cult-like power.

There's this mysterious cult-like power about it, which gives way for deep interpretations.

I go through phases where I kind of like this album, and then I'll forget about it for a while.

I like MHTRC and Geogaddi, but Campfire Headphase and Hi Scores (minus nlogax) are still my favorites. Hell, I think I like BOC Maxima more. Wish there was a proper release.

Even though it sounds very cobbled together so to speak MHTRTC was my first impression of BOC and will always be my favourite.

I remember first hearing ROYGBIV on that NME sampler CD that also gave me my first impression of GY!BE and my mind was blown.

Considering the fact that a lot of the songs previously appeared on their Old Tunes private releases, as well as their demo they shopped around before signing to SKAM/WARP, BoC Maxima... but this is probably the case for a lot of bands getting started - take the best stuff they've made prior to getting signed, and then put them all together for their seminal release.

Personally, I think MHTRTC is my favourite as well - despite the fact it was the first BoC I heard outside of a MP3 sent to me of Orange Romeda ages ago... Orange Romeda is what set me off on BoC.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sirch

people have just read way too much into it, which has given it this mysterious, cult-like power.

There's this mysterious cult-like power about it, which gives way for deep interpretations.

is this more Twoism-talk, again ?

Considering the fact that a lot of the songs previously appeared on their Old Tunes private releases, as well as their demo they shopped around before signing to SKAM/WARP, BoC Maxima... but this is probably the case for a lot of bands getting started - take the best stuff they've made prior to getting signed, and then put them all together for their seminal release.

someone wise once said that the best thing about first album is that you have your whole life to write it, where for every next one it's only a couple of years each. or something to that effect.

unlss you're boc, then you have another 25 years every 3 albums

• 5 years later...

Some thoughts:

Olson's main wobbly fat synth is one of the most perfectly sublime sounds of all time. 

The rising spooky sustained melody in An Eagle in Your Mind @ 3:18, which repeats twice. Feels like the blissful twilight moments right before you fall asleep. Whenever I get a new stereo system, it's one of the first tracks I listen to. The percussion is really multidimensional listened to on quality speakers/headphones.

Kaini Industries and Bocuma are two of my favorites of their short tracks.

For me one of the underlying emotions of the album that I don't see talked about much is loneliness. Loneliness in the least self-pitying way. 

I don't know if they ever topped the percussion production on this album. Well, maybe Geogaddi. 

The song I am most tempted to skip when I listen is usually Colour of the Fire. It's not bad, just..I dunno. May be heresy, but I wonder if the track might be better without the Sesame Street sample.

Open the Light is another wonder of production. Wish I could have whatever the bass synth sound is.

If you were trying to get a newcomer into the band, is there anything better than ROYGBIV? I don't think so.

Oh it's definitely up there! I remember the first time hearing it: I was lent the CD by a friend that I'd had a brief falling out with, and when I stuck it on was determined to hate it to spite him (not sure why that was the thought process!). Within the space of three tracks I had tears in my eyes from how beautiful it was, until that point I'd never heard anything like this sound before. Like it sounded both simultaneously completely up to date and also a complete throwback to my childhood memory of music from 80s TV shows

• 4 weeks later...

Love anything Simon Reynolds writes. This is the same guy who has been around long enough to coin the term "post-rock" and he was writing books about rave and underground electronic music before the millennium even ended. Bookmarking this for later but I already like his premise of calling this the best pysch album of the 00s. Would of been impossible to claim that at the time of it's release but in hindsight it makes sense.

Archived