IGNORED

Cereals

Guest theSun

i was told by a nutritionist a long while back that just about all cereals are horrible for you unless you are a laborer because of the sugars (tons of sugar in all cereals, even the "healthy" ones) and unecessary carbs. dunno how true that is, so don't rely on me. anyone know the scoop?

In 2008 and 2009, I used to eat a bowl of Kashi with vanilla soymilk every morning. I thought I was being "healthy". That sounds so gross to me know.

Now I just have oats with peanut butter and a sliced up banana. And something with bacon on the weekend.

Reading Michael Pollan made me much more suspicious about eating things from a box.

The ingredients are more important than the so called "nutritional facts." For instance, if something has "natural" or "artificial flavors" listed as an ingredient, don't eat it. If something is not from nature, it isn't good for you to eat. If you eat processed foods that are filled with all sorts of chemicals, you are going to get sick and be unhealthy. Don't be fooled by the big labels on the front of the package that read "All-natural" etc. Unfortunately, many foods we eat are genetically modified ( http://www.naturalnews.com/032826_Monsanto_seed_supply.html ). Shouldn't the organic food that comes straight from the earth be cheaper than the laboratory food that kills you?

What is the secret of soylent green?

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/10/25/pepsi-shareholders-demand-it-stop-using-aborted-fetal-cells/

My point is that they put suspicious, unhealthy ingredients in our food. That Pepsi story is just a recent event that I thought might illustrate that. The other poisonous ingredients that are in foods like that are even worse.

OK, now let's be fair, all those links except the Augusta Gazette and the PNAS one had a distinct whiff of right-wing cray-cray about them. Plus the Augusta Gazette one seemed to be referencing one of the others, and the PNAS one was indecipherable without a biology degree.

Guest kokeboka

The best way to control what goes into your cereals, I suppose, is to make them yourself. Buying the oats, raisins and whatnot independently, and mix to taste. I don't have the patience to do that, so I end up getting the supposedly healthier ones, the diet cereals that are marketed mostly towards women.

Nestle stopped selling Lucky Charms in Portugal during the 90's - I know they were brutally sugary and unhealthy, but I used to love them when I was a kid.

Guest Drahken

I only buy cereal when its on sale once or twice a year, and I usually end up eating it as a desert lol.

Only thing I eat for breakfast when I do eat is organic bananas and high fiber oatmeal.

i have fucking sainsburys own brand Muesli and i actually like it because it's mostly whole almonds, hazelnuts and dried fruit. which i like more than cinnamon and sugar flavoured baked pureed corn smears or whatever edit: also i remain full up, sometimes it's like 8 hours before i get to eat again so

i was told by a nutritionist a long while back that just about all cereals are horrible for you unless you are a laborer because of the sugars (tons of sugar in all cereals, even the "healthy" ones) and unecessary carbs. dunno how true that is, so don't rely on me. anyone know the scoop?

but if you're a laborer you eat meat and eggs for breakfast

In other words - exercise. The fat is from the milk (which is also high in protein) more than the cereals. Obviously eating Lucky Charms (which is basically candy in a box) is not great. Cereals like corn flakes etc. aren't terrible for you, but they aren't necessarily the healthiest choice.

I love cereal, but I try not to eat them too much.

If cereals were really terrible foods you'd see people dropping dead all over the place since they've been around for more than a hundred years.

i heard they make peanut butter cheerios now. my mind was blown that it took this long.

cookie crisp was a fav of mine back in the day. i remember my dad wanted me to put wheat germ on it.

cookie crisp was a fav of mine back in the day. i remember my dad wanted me to put wheat germ on it.

amazing.

I eat cornflakes and raisin bran with fruit sliced on top. if they didn't sweeten the raisins so much, raisin bran would actually be pretty healthy I think. oh well.

Guest fiznuthian

The sugar is the least of your worries.

Most cereal grains processed into cereals have high glycemic loads anyways, so you're going to eat them and spike your insulin regardless.

Throw in milk and your insulin goes pretty high after some cereal. This means your body begins storing fatty acids as adipose tissue -> body fat. Not to mention the many other problems you will experience over time with elevated insulin early in the morning. The notion that breakfast is healthy is ridiculous as pretty much everyone wakes up in the morning in a mild ketosis and very low serum glucose levels, throwing that out of whack is a horrible way to start your day.

Cereal grains also contain ridiculous amounts of phytates which bind to minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Your intestines will not be able to absorb these minerals easily. How ironic that most of the cereals on the market are "fortified" with these minerals specifically...

Tooth decay is by and large a result of high phytic acid diets in the Western world, not necessarily sugars in the diet. Teeth can reform freely in it's absence. There are also numerous other anti-nutrients in cereal grains that have been identified, and high concentrations of dietary lectins which so far appear to disagree strongly with human intestinal epithelial cells.

Here's a 65 page research paper discussing why cereal grains fuck us up.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Cereal%20Sword.pdf

Published in the World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics

Guest fiznuthian

In other words - exercise. The fat is from the milk (which is also high in protein) more than the cereals. Obviously eating Lucky Charms (which is basically candy in a box) is not great. Cereals like corn flakes etc. aren't terrible for you, but they aren't necessarily the healthiest choice.

I love cereal, but I try not to eat them too much.

If cereals were really terrible foods you'd see people dropping dead all over the place since they've been around for more than a hundred years.

A bowl of cereal is extremely high in carbohydrates that will rapidly convert to serum glucose. Corn flakes too. Milk is also highly insulinogenic in itself.

It's ironic that dietary fat does not actually cause us to become fat at all. Carbohydrates hold the key.

Unless your insulin elevates high enough, fatty acids will be placed and removed from storage in your body freely throughout your day. This is normal, and does not contribute to becoming fat.

As soon as you pound down some cereals and insulin goes on the rise, those fatty acids become locked away and will not burn out to fuel your body. It's called insulin resistance, and it's the single largest contributing factor for obesity, diabetes, and a large list of other health issues.

Supposing that you ate primarily saturated fat and very little carbohydrates, your body will produce the blood glucose is needs by gluconeogenesis.

Dietary fats are not insulinogenic, and thus do not promote energy storage.

Because no excess glucose is flowing in blood, your insulin stays low, and fatty acids are both stored and removed freely. You will remain insulin sensitive and you absolutely will not become fat.

Archived