[HOAX] Jamie Oliver Finds Joy Division/New Order Master Tapes

Jamie Oliver (yeah, that Jamie Oliver) discovered long-lost master tapes from Joy Division and New Order in the basement of a Manchester bank he recently purchased to convert into a restaurant.

In addition to the tapes, there was gold and jewelery, and is estimated to be worth 1.7 million USD.

Turns out to have been a joke/hoax... get real and back to the kitchen.

Also read this today. Supposedly he handed the tapes and the jewelry to the UK government (why not give it back to the remaining bandmembers?). How you can lose something like that in some old bank is beyond me. Maybe it was a depository or something, but surely they didn't just forget the stuff?

edit: my source was a dutch musicsite: http://www.oor.nl/#news/10052/jamie_oliver_vindt_schat_aan_joy_division_materiaal

Edited by Herr Jan

Also read this today. Supposedly he handed the tapes and the jewelry to the UK government (why not give it back to the remaining bandmembers?). How you can lose something like that in some old bank is beyond me. Maybe it was a depository or something, but surely they didn't just forget the stuff?

edit: my source was a dutch musicsite: http://www.oor.nl/#n...ision_materiaal

I'm actually not that shocked about the tapes being lost and forgotten. The BBC was notorious for erasing its archives to save space in the 60s and 70s. It's Jamie Oliver of all people finding the tapes that amuses me. English Chef famous in America finds mastertapes of post-punk band who are also famous in America. Ideal for a news story and to promote his new restaurant. I'm expecting Joy Division and New Order reissues now.

here's a blurb about it http://blog.chron.com/celebritybuzz/2012/02/jamie-oliver-finds-treasure-in-restaurant-basement/

Saw this news too- the 'remasters' from a few years ago were notoriously bad.

Factory were a bit of a mess in the later years (wern't they always!), and when they went to look at special editions of the JD/NO albums- there were loads of problems tracking down all the masters- esp the singles. In the end the finished Special Editions, had shoddy vinyl sorced versions of many b-sides and mixes- all in all pretty poor stuff.

Here's hoping that what's been found results in some proper versions of all this stuff...

Gotta admit JD tracks sounds pretty badly mixed to start with so they can only improve them lol. Gotta say though I've really began to get into them recently. Something about their whole story just intrigues me.

Turns out its all a load of bollocks- started with a tweet Jamie Oliver sent to Tim Burgess, joking about all the stuff they found digging up the bank.

Jornalism at its finest.

so in a sense the media created the hoax, not jamie oliver

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now