IGNORED

toscanalyzer

Guest apeterlives

Guest apeterlives

http://toscanalyzer.org/index.php/en/

linux/mac/win

• Identification of problems in digitally stored music mainly in the range of mixing and mastering.
  • Analysis and comparison of music and / or music albums with a compact representation of important characteristics.
  • Guidance and assistance for the sustainable improvement of the material.

Anyone seen this program? Looks neat, hopefully it will help me learn about mix/master process since I know close to nothing about it, and seems reasonable since my computer couldn't slap a mosquito with a spaceship.

From my experience you can't analyse tracks in realtime visually - its far too complex for the mind to make sense of. Your ear will be your best guide as well as cross referencing of other well mastered tunes. Also its really something you have to practice and keep practising until you get it right. Its very much about getting things to sit nicely in the mix pre master so when the time comes to boosting the final signal you hopefully won't run into too many issues. Most of the time I can get my tracks up to about -10.5db RMS without the mix starting to suffer and that's fairly loud. My aim is to be able to get them up to -8db RMS.

From my experience you can't analyse tracks in realtime visually - its far too complex for the mind to make sense of. Your ear will be your best guide as well as cross referencing of other well mastered tunes. Also its really something you have to practice and keep practising until you get it right. Its very much about getting things to sit nicely in the mix pre master so when the time comes to boosting the final signal you hopefully won't run into too many issues. Most of the time I can get my tracks up to about -10.5db RMS without the mix starting to suffer and that's fairly loud. My aim is to be able to get them up to -8db RMS.

did you click the link brah brah?

did you click the link brah brah?

Yeah I did and I've downloaded it. Seems quite interesting but have to delve into it further. Shows me the av RMS and it seems my tracks are louder than I thought but its nothing I can't already find out using Soundforge but I'll see what other info I may glean from this prog.

Well I compared the av RMS readings I got from Toscanalyzer with Soundforge and it appears the former gives about 2db higher so not sure which one is correct. I think my main issue is probably the speakers I use in that they're lacking in the bottom end from about 40-30hz and little flat in the mids however I'm use to them. I plan on getting this pair of Aiwa's that my friend uses that he swears by. I mean it'd be nice to buy some KRK 8s but I don't think £400+ is justifiable when they're are less expensive options around.

Archived