IGNORED

Rushup Edge Album

Guest frankbank

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet he's had the proper mixing tools for a while, way before working on his Tuss material. If I recall properly (I don't have my hands on this record anymore), Surfing On Sine Waves was a fine mixing job.

I wonder what his albums would sound like if let someone else mix his material. There's a handful of poorly mixed Aphex tracks out there, I don't know if it's out of laziness for unimportant tracks or due to lack of specific skills. For example, W32.Deadcode.a is a lovely track, but all the voices and tracks are fighting each other in the bass spectrum. I'm sure a skilled mixing technician could take take that same material and make it sound much better.

Yeah, Deadcode is perfect.

Watching my sub duck and scoot at higher volumes says to me not perfect.

one of my fave analords, but watch out, it will blow your speakers.

Rushup edge sounds like it took a very long time to put together and mix. Still in my cd booklet in the car (there are only 24 spots)

I bet he's had the proper mixing tools for a while, way before working on his Tuss material. If I recall properly (I don't have my hands on this record anymore), Surfing On Sine Waves was a fine mixing job.

I wonder what his albums would sound like if let someone else mix his material. There's a handful of poorly mixed Aphex tracks out there, I don't know if it's out of laziness for unimportant tracks or due to lack of specific skills. For example, W32.Deadcode.a is a lovely track, but all the voices and tracks are fighting each other in the bass spectrum. I'm sure a skilled mixing technician could take take that same material and make it sound much better.

Yeah I love deadcode it's one of my favorite analord tracks but it's HORRIBLY mastered

Yeah, Deadcode is perfect.

Watching my sub duck and scoot at higher volumes says to me not perfect.

one of my fave analords, but watch out, it will blow your speakers.

Rushup edge sounds like it took a very long time to put together and mix. Still in my cd booklet in the car (there are only 24 spots)

Just play it louder.

Yeah, I have to agree. The mixing on deadcode is a little weird. Obviously, it probably was not his intention to have it listened to in a car, but It is very hard to get that song to sound right in a vehicle. Same thing goes with my copy of Analogue Bubblebath 5 or whichever one is the unreleased one. The levels are shit on it, but it could just be my copy. I think deadcode could have more impact if it was given a little more high end.

Rushup Edge and Confederation Trough are amazing

. I'm sure a skilled mixing technician could take take that same material and make it sound much better.

it depends on how it was recorded, if he multitracked them all then i could get on board kinda with what you're saying. From my experience a lot of time working with hardware, especially with so many pieces of synth kit, unless you have everything hooked up the same way every time sometimes its easier to just spit out a song idea on a 2 track stereo master recording. Once you do that the only real chance you have of 'mixing' it is in the pass you record at using a hardware mixer. A lot of analord sounds like it was done this way to me, and probably for the better. The type of tracks on that album would only suffer from over working them, the immediacy of them is part of the enjoyment.

Rushup Edge and Confederation Trough are amazing

. I'm sure a skilled mixing technician could take take that same material and make it sound much better.

it depends on how it was recorded, if he multitracked them all then i could get on board kinda with what you're saying. From my experience a lot of time working with hardware, especially with so many pieces of synth kit, unless you have everything hooked up the same way every time sometimes its easier to just spit out a song idea on a 2 track stereo master recording. Once you do that the only real chance you have of 'mixing' it is in the pass you record at using a hardware mixer. A lot of analord sounds like it was done this way to me, and probably for the better. The type of tracks on that album would only suffer from over working them, the immediacy of them is part of the enjoyment.

The best stuff I made was when I was working under limitations imposed by channels on my digital workstation and hard disk recorder. Bouncing tracks back and forth, that kind of thing.

I agree - the flavour of the tracks would be completely fucked with if they were remastered from 'stems'

Obviously, it probably was not his intention to have it listened to in a car, but It is very hard to get that song to sound right in a vehicle.

I had the same problem, which is too bad, because deadcode sounds like a perfect track for night driving.

I agree, you're probably right for the recording process. Maybe this is why it wasn't included on Chosen Lords.

I bet deadcode sounded amazing on RDJ's studio monitors. I just wish there there would be a way to fix EQ in some individual channel tracks to make it sound better for home listening, but, oh well! I still enjoyed the hell out of it for a good while.

Obviously, it probably was not his intention to have it listened to in a car, but It is very hard to get that song to sound right in a vehicle.

I had the same problem, which is too bad, because deadcode sounds like a perfect track for night driving.

I agree, you're probably right for the recording process. Maybe this is why it wasn't included on Chosen Lords.

I bet deadcode sounded amazing on RDJ's studio monitors. I just wish there there would be a way to fix EQ in some individual channel tracks to make it sound better for home listening, but, oh well! I still enjoyed the hell out of it for a good while.

Wouldn't an equalizer connected to your stereo work?

Wouldn't an equalizer connected to your stereo work?

Partially only, I would guess. It would reduce the bass frequencies on the whole track, which I don't think is the main problem. I love the heavy bass frequencies in the main bass patch and the first pad when they are on their own with the beat in the first minute, but all the instruments that come in after 1:19 are either loaded with their own bass frequencies or drowned by those of the first two instruments, and make the track sound duller and tiring as it goes along after the chorus, to my ears at least.

You gotta admit it was a game changer.

how?

Every braindance artists decided to make music that sounded like The Tuss, before the tuss the "braindance" scene was a bunch of guys trying to separate their sound from mainstream electronic music. Thanks to the tuss we have people like Monolith and JK.

You gotta admit it was a game changer.

how?

Every braindance artists decided to make music that sounded like The Tuss, before the tuss the "braindance" scene was a bunch of guys trying to separate their sound from mainstream electronic music. Thanks to the tuss we have people like Monolith and JK.

i don't have the energy to go into this, but i disagree. Monolith and JK would've still made good music anyway.....

and i repeat, there's only a few good tracks out of the whole Tuss thang, anyway. imho.

*doesn't get it*

Archived