IGNORED

New Album called "Ufabulum"

Guest teetime

There’s no live guitar or drums, there’s nothing in it which is live, really. At all”.

I knew it! Even go plastic had its live elements! Why Oh why Tom! Why are you obsessed with changing your fomular to 180 degress?

Interesting.. I guess he's been successful in making his programmed stuff sound live!

I can't remember who suggested it, but someone said that Go Plastic sounded like it could possibly be largely sequenced using a MIDI pickup on the bass, even the break fuckery. Would make sense!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

It's much more abrasive and less pop-friendly than brostep. Even the trance style synths and the 'drops' are covered with the usual Squarepusher fuckery.

I don't think brostep fans won't like it due to being too abrasive, I think it just sounds too nerdy and fantastical. It really could be a glitchy soundtrack to a professional magic show. I mean can you see a bro driving around his home town in his dad's escalade blaring Stadium Ice?

Guest teetime
“I’ve got this particular recurring dream where it’s essentially about a perfect piece of music – I hasten to add that I know how ridiculous that sounds, and I don’t really even endorse the concept or even the possibility that a perfect piece of music can exist” he says. “But simply it’s a track I’ve but written but then lost, and I’ve found it again in this dream and it unifies my work”. “I look at my work quite critically, I see it as a very splintered, quite messy – specifically with reference to my recorded output which spans 18 years now. It’s a great, big fucking mess. In this dream, this one piece of music is the final part of the puzzle which makes sense of the whole thing. The thing is, I’ve been having this dream for years and the painful thing on waking up is realising that the piece of music actually doesn’t exist. Yet it acts as an inspiration for me a lot, you think: I actually want to make that piece. And of course you can’t. You never really quite achieve the sense of completeness that it seemed to have in the dream. But still, it’s a valid inspirational force.”

:squarepusher_logo:

Search no more Tom. I already found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkpRzMC8x7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcVwxHTrMM&feature=relmfu

ehh, it's ok. luckily most of his stuff doesn't have those loads of pitchshifting all over it, gross. nice chord progressions though??

not to derail the thread, but considering how rare/impossible it would be for me to see sp live, i would be utterly pissed if this is what he performed live. what a wankfest of a show.

I cannot fathom how people think this is Squarepusher selling out to sell loads of records to deadmau5 and Skrillex fans.

This is a weird, distinctly uncool sounding album whose aesthetics are a mix of late 90's IDM glitches(pre Go Plastic), figure skating anthems, and 80's fantasy movies.

I'm pretty sure your average Skrillex fan will not be throwing Energy Wizard into their iTunes playlist.

This, pretty much. It's much more abrasive and less pop-friendly than brostep. Even the trance style synths and the 'drops' are covered with the usual Squarepusher fuckery.

Also, listening to some of the synth work in this, I'm wondering if he used some kind of MIDI pickup on his bass for some of it. Some of the basslines are pretty fucking freeform.

i also think that

ehh, it's ok. luckily most of his stuff doesn't have those loads of pitchshifting all over it, gross. nice chord progressions though??

not to derail the thread, but considering how rare/impossible it would be for me to see sp live, i would be utterly pissed if this is what he performed live. what a wankfest of a show.

I guarantee if you went to one of his recent live shows you would eat your words.

I guarantee if you went to one of his recent live shows you would eat your words.

really wish i could have seen the past show in ny, but skint on cash and can't travel to ny on this shoestring budget.

but anyways, deleted the leak of this one until my cd copy arrives. best full album of his since hello everything.

To the people who are hating, what exactly DO you want from Squarepusher?

good muzik. don't even care whether he wants to rap or sing, just as long as it sounds good. this just isn't up to par (imo).

Guest CraniumXII

To the people who are hating, what exactly DO you want from Squarepusher?

good muzik. don't even care whether he wants to rap or sing, just as long as it sounds good. this just isn't up to par (imo).

Care to give a proper example? It's sounding like a subjectivity issue. What specifically don't you like. Shed some light on the issue, please... Not trying to be rude or anything, but I really can't stand vague critiques.

Guest teetime

My Theory:

Tom discovered the power to use ableton live or cubase.- He has been using a yamaha sequencer (Q 700) ever since - After using Vegas briefly on Ultravisitor (50 Cycles) he is stepping into "full control micro managament/programming" again, composing the tracks parallel to the visual max/msp jitter patches.

This is the first time he did a 100% "Computer" Album.

Guest teetime
After using Vegas briefly on Ultravisitor (50 Cycles)

wat

Jenkinson:

“The track ’50 Cycles’ on Ultravisitor is a monster that took me a month to make. I used the Vegas software, made by Sonic Foundry at the time, to assemble literally thousands of edited pieces of audio, and it became something of monstrous complexity. I wanted cutting‑edge digital signal processing and I wanted the most awkward, difficult, angular sounds

its just not that introverted idm some people like here but instead danceable easy to consume stuff. I am ok with that

Nah, half of the album is just absolutely bland and boring.

I'd give it a B+. The songs that are good are really good. The songs that aren't what I'd call "good" are still fine. Good album, some of the synth lines remind me of the Number's Lucent stylings, which I really enjoyed and it has some good cheese on it.

Guest AcrossCanyons

I think the only thing I don't really like is the transition from Drax 2 to Dark Steering. I love those trancey synths.

What the hell is red in blue guys? I mean he has the liberty to put what he wants on his album but it doesn't appeal to me in any way.

Guest CraniumXII

What the hell is red in blue guys? I mean he has the liberty to put what he wants on his album but it doesn't appeal to me in any way.

Yup... It is kinda weak in sound design... But the idea (as I've mentioned) is to have a track acts as a simple bridge to the more aggressive half of the album. Nothing particularly wrong with a simple intermission track. It serves its purpose.

Guest CraniumXII

Meh, I haven't bothered to over analyze the track. It's always over before I know it, as I'm usually multi-tasking. But yeah, my initial thoughts were, the synths sound very mild, wtf :/

I just took it for what it is... But in terms of "musicality", it wasn't terribly composed. Just the synth work really.

But anyway, I'm going to bed... So good night all.

red in blue could easily pass for an extended version of a 'game over, continue?' theme from a game like FF or zelda. it's wicked

Archived