IGNORED

Chronology of your ever-changing music tastes

murve33

I thought it'd be interesting to hear about the development of all ya'll's taste in music over time. And I thought it'd be really fun to write anyway.

From ages 0 to 10 I listened to my parents music, which was mostly Neil Young (Trans and Rust Never Sleeps were my favorite), Indigo Girls, and Beethoven. I also really liked No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, and some other shit.

10 to 11 I liked Disco and Funk, and that cheesey electronic pop (Kylie Minogue, Daniel Beddingfield).

Edit: I also listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham's guitar work is so cool.

11.5 I liked radio rap.

At 12 I liked John Coltrane, the weird-ass downtempo on NPR late at night, and whatever Jazz NPR would play at night. Ended up loving Medeski Martin and Wood at the end of the year.

At 13 I switched schools and started hanging out with emos. They got to know me because I had an Evanescense T-shirt. I loved Evanescense, but I couldn't stand any other Emo music because it was so fucking peppy, I wanted something to match my clinical depression. My good friend made me a list of around 100 bands, and I went through each and every one of them and ended up only liking the Dresden Dolls and Garbage. I also started listening to Franz Ferdinand.

And then from highschool up I started listening to Electronic and some Indie bands (Deerhoof/Fiery Furnaces). I remember my freshman year trapper having the 8 bands I listened to etched into it, lol. I could break down highschool more, but no.

Oh yea, I guess I started liking droany music towards the beginning of college.

Go!

0-10 crap

10-17 electronic/experimental/"avantgarde"

11- Big Beat

12- ''

13- Discovered that "Kick ass violin solo" by the Twin, lol, then I downloaded WIndowlicker and liked it a lot

14-"

15- Rediscovered Aphex Twin thanks to Athene (a tribute video used Actium and I said, "wtf I remember this dude")

16- Searching more stuff like AT (pusher, ziq, plaid, etc...) and Ambient stuff (thanks to Hans Zimmer and his Da Vinci sountrack)

17-electronic/experimental/"avantgarde"

yo

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

As a small kid I mainly listened to my mum's record collection, which was mostly new wave / new romantic stuff, as well as the big beat stuff that was out at the time. She also had a load of Street Sounds compilations (which for anyone outside the UK were basically compilations of early electro and hip hop) which I still listen to from time to time.

When I was about 10 until about 13 I was mainly listening to my brothers records, which were mostly shitty nu-metal and commercial hip hop. Also was a huge Gorillaz fan then, so around that time I was also discovering records by hip hop artists they'd collaborated with (Deltron 3030, MF DOOM, The Pharcyde, Roots Manuva etc.) and branched out from there.

Then when I was 13 I really got into Radiohead after buying Kid A, so was largely listening to them all the time (was the perfect soundtrack for being an angsty teenager) as well as for about 6 months all the overhyped indie stuff that was popular. Also was discovering all the Warp stuff around that time as well, which I became heavily interested in when I started to get bored with all the stuff I was listening to beforehand.

At about 16 I was pretty much a breakcore obsessive, mainly listening to a shitload of Venetian Snares as well as getting into noise. I struggle to listen to a lot of those records floating about at the time now though, to me a lot of it seems pointlessly oppositional.

Nowadays I'm just trying to collect as many records as possible, as I'm kinda getting aware I'm soon not going to be able to put as much time into music as I used to and don't want to miss out on something because of some opinion I'd made about it beforehand. It's nice though as I'm discovering new stuff all the time that I'd at first never have bothered trying to listen to. I always suprise myself though that I'm still listening to quite a few records I bought when I was around 15.

It went something like this:

- (parent's music) Smetana, Shostakovich, Verdi, Roy Orbison, Beatles, Elvis Presley and some pop balkan singers.

- (grammar school) Green Day, Lenny Kravitz, 2Unlimited, Ace of Base, Prodigy.

- in the final year of grammar school I went to the first club night: DJ C1.

everything changed from then on.

- (high school) Fumiya Tanaka, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Adam Beyer, Dave Clarke, etc etc etc etc

- (second year of high school) I was introduced to the records of SND (makesnd cassette) and DJ Spooky (songs of a dead dreamer)

a cloud-break occured. I started digging all kinds of music:

electronic music (all possible derivates and styles), rap/hiphop, rock (punk, kraut*, post*, alternative, psy*), jazz/blues, classical, avantgarde/music concrete, industrial/noise, dub/reggae, funk/grooves, chanson, folk/country/world music, ...

or should I say I took a journey through all of the music with heart and soul.

00-03 - ambient music, songs from cartoons

04-07 - nothing much

08-11 - video game soundtracks

12-15 - mostly just my own stuff

from then on I started actively listening to other people's music, roughly in this order:

new wave/80s synthpop/circus music

"industrial" (NIN)/Geinoh Yamashirogumi/Tom Waits

ambient techno/IDM

weird rock like Captain Beefheart/ambient/Jandek/microtonal stuff

60s pop/funk/soul

hip-hop/synthpop/folk music/Japanese synth music

6-10 - dad's stuff, mostly classic rock, queen's greatest hits is the most memorable record from that time, scorpions' gold ballads comp too.

queen-greatesthits-cover.png

11-15 - lots of mtv, but with curiosity towards more alternative, quirkier stuff of different genres.

673px-MTV-Logo.svg.png

15-17 - radiohead and alt rock, got the ok computer cd from the library which my dad liked a lot, while i mostly liked the softer stuff like sub. homesick alien and no surprises. got in a fight with dad because he really wanted me to rip the cd but i was not feeling like it and i was coming up with lame excuses. i did rip it after all. i've grown to like it more with time, got interested in britpop and alt. rock but more into melodic and dreamy stuff, verve's urban hymns was a good one, cranberries' no need to argue, pink floyd's the division bell.

ok-computer.jpg

17-18 - radiohead monopolizes my taste, digging up everything i can find in the slowass internet of the late 90s, kid a comes out on october 2000 and i buy it on the release date. it completely blows my mind as i've never heard anything like it, i was literally stunned for a few minutes after the hidden track ended.

the internet becomes faster, napster, audiogalaxy and ateaseweb..my fascination with radiohead grew even more and i'm checking the stuff that they are influenced by.

radiohead-kid-a.jpg

18-22 - radiohead leads me to idm. autechre - the first two tracks i've grabbed were left blank and nine, i liked nine but left blank was just something from another dimension to me, fascinating and completely alien. i was also checking up other idm stuff but then confield came out and it blew my mind similarly to kid a, for me it left all other idm superstars completely in the dust, i hated boc and dnb and breakcore and pretty much everything with recognizable structure (though i liked plaid's double figure). i think i turned into a bit of a hipster for shortwhile, i was only digging up the most experimental and extreme modern music, mego label was good for that, i remember that i didn't like fennesz endless summer because it was too melodic, lol, tim hecker was cool though. i loosened up a bit from this dogmatic following of experimental electronic music and discovered sunburned hand of the man, their headdress was another album that blew me away in a short period of time, i loved their tribal/wierd out/psych vibes, i became completely obsessed with them and downloaded absolutely everything i could find thru soulseek and other services. i got to know and to like similary minded/semi-related bands, like no neck blues band, excepter, black dice and a bit later many american left-of-indie bands like xiu xiu and deerhoof. weirdly enough i get to like pixies during this period too.

Autechre-Confield-446310.jpg4719395736.jpg

22-now - in 2005 "the new weird america" gets very hyped up, many previously underground artists get attention, a i discover many freak-folk (josephine foster), noise (mouthus), drone (doubple leopards) and psych (bardo pond) musicians. mouthus' slow globes is a very special record to me. i discover grouper's wide in 2006 and fall in love with her music, after grouper i get more into ambient and dreamy stuff, cocteau twins..

mouthus_slow_globes.jpg

945729.jpg

i slowed up significantly with my digital hoarding and i spend much more time with the artists i discover, i'm less jaded about older music though still most of my stuff is from 00's, i guess i consider myself quite open minded with a taste for experimental, imaginative and original music, i hate most indie rock and banal electronic/idm crap like boc and venetian snares.

/effort

nice topic murveman!

I could write an essay on this, I'll try to be succinct (edit: nvrmnd)

0-9: listened to what my parents liked and latched onto some more than others - R.E.M., U2, Nirvana actually, Beatles. Listened a lot to old Disney music and was a huge Weird Al and Rutles fan, so much so that a lot of 80s pop songs I like I heard via Al's parodies.

10-12: mostly radio alternative rock and top40 hits I liked, was a lot more into movie soundtracks and a few VGM osts, very little listening actually

13-16: found some hip-hop and punk I liked via video game soundtracks, started actually buying a few albums for myself only, like Smashing Pumpkins, The Toadies, old Weezer, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. Liked Daft Punk and some UK garage hits but never explored it much. Amnesiac might of been the first album I really listened to that no one else knew. Means a lot to me because I played it out when I was in a rather depressed period of my teenage years.

17-18: Finally started getting into music seriously. Found a comp of British psychedelic rarities I really liked. Explored old albums my dad had stashed away from the early 90s. Got into Chemical Brothers (via a MTV compilation my dad had actually) and from there... big beat, house, and old hip-hop. That summer I bought the Richard D James album, Bjork's Homogenic, and a DJ mix by Goldie. Huge turning point. I know exactly when I first heard of Aphex Twin through a friend, who simply said "this shit is nuts" as he torrented RDJ's discography. Bought the RDJ album after that. Now he doesn't even listen to Aphex anymore.

18-20 - My tastes and listening habits became a huge part of my daily life. Went to college and wasted hours and hours downloading a plethora of music of all genres. Browsed allmusic.com, bought music review mags, and later found pitchfork.com and music blogs. My university had a super-fast, invite only, p2p network. Also went to gigs for the first time. It's really crazy, my wife and my close friends all were huge music fans and went to concerts all the time as kids and teens, and I never went to any until college. Ironically, I went from asking people for music recommendations to answering questions about band and artist recommendations in a matter of a year, if not less. I became very obsessive with listening to new and different music. (In the past, I would read extensively on history or things like classic cars and military equipment, etc, this filled the same void) Karma hit too, because I was quite superficial and downloaded a ton of content..and all of those hard drives crashed...helped me purge though. See I realized, in retrospect, that I became quite pretentious and annoying at one point. I'd listen to say, Merzbow, some ironic hipster band, or some Sonic Youth bootleg, or some shitty dance-punk single, etc. and realize years later I didn't actually enjoy any of it. On the other hand, certain friends of mine tried getting me into screamo and post-hardcore bands like Taking Back Sunday, and I never did (I tried, kinda). Have the last laugh in that regard.

It's hard to explain, but this is the last year or so where I have super nostalgia attached to the music I heard at the time. Up until say 2005 or so, I can very clearly associate albums and songs with memories of when I first heard them. For instance, I hear Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights and I go back to memories of being a carefree college freshman. Same with childhood and various songs/soundtracks. Doesn't work anymore. I still have songs I'll associate with memories in say, 2008 or 2009, but it's less intense and a different kind of memory association. It's just fine, but it's notably not the hyper-nostalgic feelings I get with older music recollections.

20-present: became an electronic music fanatic, figured out I didn't like crappy dance tracks and mediocre indie rock. Lot of early dubstep, old d'n'b, techno, electro-house (since become bored of that), and of course IDM/Braindance.

Last few years: very much focused on electronic music, follow specific labels and artists. I don't try to force myself to listen to a lot of different stuff like I use too, before recently I would download dozens of mp3s daily (I'm pretty sure I have ever mp3 Pitchfork.com shared in 2005 on a now dead hard drive somewhere) and before that torrent hundreds of albums a month. Streaming DJ mixes and release previews is much easier. My tastes are refined but I'm open-minded. I find myself disliking very little but loving very select things as well. It's kinda nice being content with what you hear and latch onto and not trying to get behind hyped bands. I feel like I have more personal attachment to artists I really like, instead of trying to say I "like" a slew of hip bands and artists.

man, I wasn't succint at all :facepalm:

Then when I was 13 I really got into Radiohead after buying Kid A, so was largely listening to them all the time (was the perfect soundtrack for being an angsty teenager) as well as for about 6 months all the overhyped indie stuff that was popular. Also was discovering all the Warp stuff around that time as well, which I became heavily interested in when I started to get bored with all the stuff I was listening to beforehand.

I always suprise myself though that I'm still listening to quite a few records I bought when I was around 15.

Ditto. I think it's a good thing. I worry younger kids won't have albums that they cherish and play over and over again. Pre-internet, pre-digital formats help solidify personal attachment to music, I think it's still possible now, just not as intuitive for listeners.

6-10 - dad's stuff, mostly classic rock, queen's greatest hits is the most memorable record from that time, scorpions' gold ballads comp too.

17-18 - radiohead monopolizes my taste, digging up everything i can find in the slowass internet of the late 90s, kid a comes out on october 2000 and i buy it on the release date. it completely blows my mind as i've never heard anything like it, i was literally stunned for a few minutes after the hidden track ended.

the internet becomes faster, napster, audiogalaxy and ateaseweb..my fascination with radiohead grew even more and i'm checking the stuff that they are influenced by.

i think i turned into a bit of a hipster for shortwhile, i was only digging up the most experimental and extreme modern music

i slowed up significantly with my digital hoarding and i spend much more time with the artists i discover, i'm less jaded about older music though still most of my stuff is from 00's

Can totally relate to that part. Part of "exploring" before I got into streaming and browsing watmm was helped by listening to local college station broadcasts of underground, indie, and experimental music, and googling what I actually liked.

I find it interesting that Kid A has been mentioned twice. It's always cited as being influenced by IDM and it appears to be something of a gateway to electronic and experimental music for many. I actually had a very odd experience of hearing Amnesiac first and playing it over and over again a good year or two before I ever listened to Kid A. It was very alien to me yet gorgeous. At the time I had no idea how anyone made such music, now I know the fucking drum machines they used (thanks internet!)

When I was about 10 until about 13 I was mainly listening to my brothers records, which were mostly shitty nu-metal and commercial hip hop. Also was a huge Gorillaz fan then, so around that time I was also discovering records by hip hop artists they'd collaborated with (Deltron 3030, MF DOOM, The Pharcyde, Roots Manuva etc.) and branched out from there.

Listening to Gorillaz is the same way I got into Deltron, Roots Manuva, and MF DOOM as well. Eventually branched off to cLOUDDEAD and the rest of the anticon collective. That was probably around 10th grade of highschool. I'll break down highschool later probably. I just didn't want to write a novel as my first post.

0-11 : Classic rock/pop and 80s metal. GNR, Metallica, Michael Jackson and whatever my dad played for me(mostly rock)

11-14: More into harder metal and some hip-hop(wu etc). Still a Metallica fan. Started listening to random death metal I found at record shops. Had to pretend to ironically like it since my friends didn't like it, lol...

15-20: Just necro fucking kvlt black metal, death metal and noise.. Played in some awful black metal bands which was fun.

18-22: Experimenting with noise and avantgarde which leads me into techno and the birth of breakcore

20-24: Getting into "idm", braindance, techno, electro etc.

20-28: All kinds of indierock, alt rock etc...

24-28: Going deeper into techno. More minimal stuff, lush tunes. Wonky stuff, all that post dubstep greatness. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUURRRIAAAL

0-8 buncha shit, lillebjørn nilsen med venner. supertramp. abba. whatever my parents were listening to.

8-11 Shit from the radio and Hair metal transitioned into

11-14 Rap via Run-DMC, so I listenend to a lot of that, watched Yo! MTV raps religiously, and then I heard this crazy new sound from a band called stakker humanoid which I guess must've been

15-22 Techno, so I listened to that as well as the hip hop, then discovered ambient, early gabber (which I hate now), acid, "hardcore" (breakbeat stuff) in pretty much the same period of time, and my interest in hop hop faded, A little later I found this dude calle AFX and his music was pretty good, so I searched out more stuff that sounded similar to that, and started buying music from a label called warp records, they had a lot of good stuff going. I had a radio show with a mate and we played our electronic findings to the locals, as that stuff was hard as hell to find in my little shithole town. hunting down good music became an obsession. It's all a bit of a blur. later on there was some stuff called trip hop, I liked some of that.

22-35 More ambient, more idm, some singer songwriter stuff, less trip hop, less techno, no fucking gabber or acid. Started listening to some contemporary composers and generally enjoying more challenging music. Got on the internet, got access to endless ammounts of music. Lost all interest. Started listening to hipster bands and drone (the same thing?). Got bored with that. Joined wattem in the hopes that there would be some good music to be found again. I guess there is, but I don't have time to listen to it.

0-10 - dunno. radio hits? i remember being quite fond of jamiroquai (cosmic girl!), radiohead (par and!), smashing pumpkins (1979!), blur (country house!) and everything backstreat boys. yep. summer at my sister's.

11-12 - WILL SMITH. the most awkward of all the awkward. he's like the lamest person ever. i still love him.

13-14 - nirvana, sonic youth, smashing pumpkins.

15-16 - radiohead, portishead and other sappy artists for loner teenagers (also first encoutners with afx, tom j and boc).

17-20 - krautrock, 90s indie rock, anything weird or experimental or from the 70s.

21-22 - jazz (komeda mostly), lo-fi pop (that was yet to be labelled chillwave) and outsider music. also discovered (talk about being late to the game) my fav band ever - STEELY DAN - due to ariel pink saying 'i can't hear my eyes' is a balant rip-off of them. it was 2 years before 'before today' i think, when it was a single. thanks, ariel.

23 - iidddmzzz. the only reason i turned so heavily into it these last years is because when my annoying neighbour was having her bass sessions that made my walls wobble, 'rdja' was the only thing that distracted me from the bass because it's so chopped up. so played my tape to hell and kinda decided to 'rediscover' techno after all these years and it stuck. now my fiancee won't talk to me because all i do is play weird computer music all day.

0-10 Dads Stuff, Opus, Bob Marley, Queen, Bangles, Michael Jackson, everything

10-12 Eurodance, Snap, Dr. Alban (my dark years)

12-16 Grunge, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Aphex Twin, Trash Metal, Hardcore Shit (Eyehategod, Anal Cunt, Pantera, Helmet) (emo years)

16- now Aphex Twin techno techno techno, synth pop, lots of shit, Jazz, Classical Music, everything that makes me an elitist cunt

Guest MortstoX

0-12: Childrens music, whatever music the radio played. At the end of the period, also some KLF and Euro Dance

5-Knutsen-Ludvigsen-Juba-Juba.jpg

12-15: Hardcore gangsta rap. NWA (my first cd was Straight Outta Compton), 2 Live Crew, Public Enemy, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Run DMC.

nwa_album_cover_straight_outta_compton.jpg

15-18: Grunge and alternative rock. I also started to listen to some Jarre and Prodigy.

3959.jpg

18-21: Lot of Trip Hop, Drum n Bass and big Beat

tumblr_lrxainrWB11r0mp3wo1_500.jpg

21-25: Warp and Rephlex era. Autechre and Aphex Twin are the def most played artists in these years.

15271.jpg

25-34

A mixture of all the previous periods, except hip hop, which I rarely listen to. Alternative Pop & Rock, Singer/Songwriters, and various electronic music. Getting older I also prefer more ambient electronic music than before. Modern classical and piano music.

Tim_Hecker-Haunt_Me_cover.jpg

My music taste doesn't really develop, it just gets added to. I still like everything I have ever liked.

When I discovered what:

0-5 No memories of music

5-7 Duran Duran, The Clash, Kiss, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath

8-11 Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Venom, New Order, U2

12-13 Depeche Mode, Nitzer Ebb, The Cure, The Smiths, Wedding Present, Napalm Death

14-15 Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Atheist, Obituary, Kreator, Death, Morbid Angel, Misfits, Neil Young,

16-18 Darkthrone, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Public Enemy, Autopsy, Sonic Youth, Meshuggah, My Bloody Valentine

19-22 Aphex Twin, Wu Tang Clan

23-30 Autechre, Squarepusher, DMX Krew, Ceephax, Radiohead

Post 30 Drexciya, Mastodon, Fleet Foxes +++++

..and about 2000 other bands and artists...

My music taste doesn't really develop, it just gets added to. I still like everything I have ever liked.

I think it's the same way for many of us too. I think I like every band that I used to like as well.

But you definitely couldn't have showed me V/vm when I was in 7th Grade and expected me to love it as much as I do today.

I'm gonna break down highschool to now:

9th Grade: My love of Medeski Martin and Wood increases, ended up seeing them live. The 8 bands I listen to are MMW, AFX, BOC, Locust Toybox, Binarpilot, The Orb, Datach'i (Just Wearealwayswellthankyou), and Kid606 (Just Killsound).

10th Grade: Delve deeper into Electronic, and start listening to Indie/Art Rock and the easy to listen to Merzbow (which is all I can still stomach), AFX's Ambient Works are awesome to me at this time, so I end up liking Oval and Of. Battles released EP C/B EP around this time and I love it. Started liking Man Man, Modest Mouse, and Deerhoof.

11th Grade: Chris Cunningham leads me to The Horrors. It's a brutal year filled with anxiety, depression, and insomnia. I also start listening heavily to cLOUDDEAD, Portishead's "Third", and Clara Rockmore. V/vm Test is more something to give me a laugh, but it cracks me up.

12th Grade: A friend introduces me to Digital Hardcore, Breakcore, and all that great stuff. We start holding makeshift raves (consisting of generally 20ish people and no drugs) in my friends basement and with my speaker system. No one liked our music though. I start listening to A LOT of Fiery Furnaces as well. Starting to take V/vm Test seriously as well.

College: Starting smoking a lot more. Odd Nosdam, Gonja Sufi, and Matt Friedberger are the norm. Listened to Avalanche's Since I Left You all summer last year. Introduced to DJ Rainbow Ejaculation (Thanks to Ganus) which I play constantly. V/vm and Nosdam's Drones start becoming perfect to listen to. Black Moth Super Rainbow becomes my goto band.

Which leads me to now. Right now I'm going back to my 9th and 10th Grade way of listening to music. (Listen to the same few albums over and over again. Makes me love them more.

I grew up in a very um, musically sheltered city. And my parents didn't have anything laying around for me to listen to.

<10 The Beatles (strictly rubber soul), The Doors (a compilation album), Hendrix (compilation album)

10-13ish Discovered more classic rock via friends. I liked it but it didn't really blow me away. Deep Purple did but something about Ritchies guitar playing just did it for me. Also got into Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.

13-16ish I found the big 4 thrash metal. Only really liked Slayer, I thought the rest was terrible. Found Altars of Madness shortly after. Delved into death metal. Found a Bathory album as well (Under the Sign...). Loved it though the whole "black metal" thing I wasn't really aware that it was a genre at the time. Also found out about Allman Bros and Lynyrd Skynynrd and started getting into southern rock. Had a grunge phase for like a month, didn't like any of it except for AiC and Soundgarden. There was a lot of peer influence in this stage I checked out loads of other things too.

16-18ish Headbangers ball was now gone off MTV so I started watching TRL and picking up on NIN and other mtv-associated rock/metal. Liked some alternative rock but most of it bored the shit out of me.

18-19 Discovered IDM via the RDJ tracks on a NIN album. Also discovered psy trance and hippie jam bands like STS9 (yea -_- )

19-21 Napster! Fuck yea. It helped me find music that I couldn't find locally in my favorite genres. Then I found out about ebay so I could get more stuff that even Napster didn't have. This is when I really broadened my knowledge within those genres. Then Napster shut down. :( Though at the time, since it was kinda the first well known file sharing thing, I figured it was nice while it lasted. Not realizing that it would just get replaced. Hooray I can keep exploring music since it's neigh impossible to do so locally without the internet.

21-24 Had a huge binge on IDM/ambient/techno and doom/stoner metal. Also, first time I started playing guitar and bass seriously. (had been involved in band at school prior but I didn't take it seriously) I learned almost all of the Candlemass discography on guitar and bass by ear lol.

24-27 Been just keeping up with current (good) releases from my favorite genres.

27-now same as above except getting more frustrated because theres so much shit coming out it pisses me off because the clusterfuck gets in the way of finding good stuff.

Guest dese manz hatin

0 -12 -- didn't really start listening to music until I was 12/13, so

12-13 -- discover hip hop, start out with eminem (lol), quickly move on to dr. dre, n.w.a and the likes though

14 -- Become huge fan of NIN, apart from that mostly industrial and some classic rock (through my father). wow that was a real bad phase.

15-16 -- Start listening to jungle as my first contact with electronic music. Later that year I discover Aphex (via NIN) and he changes my perception of music. I listened through his whole discography in maybe a month and quickly became a huge fan of IDM and breakcore music in general.

17 -- Start listening to electro music, you know the mr oizo type of sound. This is also the age is start going to more and more electronic music related partys, or organizing our own. Apart from that lots of indie and i startet getting into (good) rap again. Mostly stopped listening to d&b by then, except for early 90s jungle and old-school rave..

18 -- After my first contacts with minimal, this kind music literally changes my life. Apart from IDM and related things this will be the only type of electronic music for me by now.

19 -- Grow out of the shit minimal techno and tech house, start appreciating (deep) house music and dark techno. I start spending most of my time in berlin and hamburg and begin to get seriously involved in nightlife and the scene surrounding house, and it becomes clear that this is the kind of music I'm basically in love with.

I started developping a taste for classical music, ambient and generally more mature tastes for all kinds of good music and art at around 20. But since then it's been the same mostly.

Related - musicians who changed my perception of music, roughly in order:

Mark Mothersbaugh (Rugrats music)

Koji Kondo

Danny Elfman

Oingo Boingo

Yello

Geinoh Yamashirogumi

Nine Inch Nails

Tom Waits

Aphex Twin

Captain Beefheart

Tonetta

Jandek

Isaac Hayes

MF DOOM/Madvillain

The Beach Boys

Nobukazu Takemura

Khanate

the lady who wrote

probably would have if I had heard them earlier:

Bjork

Kraftwerk

Devo

J Dilla

The Beatles

Sunn O)))

Depeche Mode

I love this thread.

I started really listening to music at about age 13, and the first real music I bought was Led Zeppelin's box set. I listened to that for a good two years before branching out.

At age 14 Napster caught stride, which led me to Rage Against the Machine, Sebadoh, Trans Am, Amon Tobin from all the skate videos I used to watch. I also started to dabble in electronic music during this time (i.e. Moby).

Ages 15-17 was the worst era: Dave Matthews Band, Incubus, abut oddly enough, I started to listen to Pink Floyd and The Beatles.

17-19: Coheed and Cambria, The Mars Volta, At the Drive In, Sparta, Death Cab for Cutie, Mae, Circa Survive and other emo bands.

20-22: I started listening to Radiohead. I got obsessed. Bands like Jimmy Eat World, Interpol, Broken Social Scene, Sufjan Stevens, and My Morning Jacket. I started to get more active discovering music on the internet. Boards of Canada, Air, Thievery Corporation, Beck, Sigur Ros, and DJ Shadow were the big ones. I think these early years in college was when I started getting into good music.

At the end of 22 I started into more shoegazing: Air Formation, My Bloody Valentine, The Radio Dept, Slowdive, and M83 (that was the year Saturdays=Youth was released, couldn't get enough of it).

23 saw more Radiohead since In Rainbows was released, and a movement towards ambient/downtempo/instrumental music, since I was getting into real heavy classes in my engineering degree: Biosphere, Porn Sword Tobacco, Kettel, Hammock, Stars of the Lid, Bowery Electric, William Basinsk, Lights Out Asia, The Field, Aphex Twin.

The summer of 2009 I got into a lot of chillwave to go along with pool parties: Neon Indian, Washed Out, Toro y Moi, and bands like Empire of the Sun and Caribou. The winter of 2009/2010 I was really into Bear in Heaven, The Radio Dept heavily, and more shoegaze.

24 was LCD Soundsystem, Telefon Tel Aviv, Arcade Fire, Ariel Pink, Atlas Sound, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Memoryhouse, Flying Lotus.

25 I started more into minimal and modern classical music: Marsen Jules, Colleen, Steve Reich, Philip Glass and bands like Eluvium, Fennesz.

michael jackson---------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the prodigy---------------------------

chemical brothers---

Richie Hawtin---

Aphex Twin----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boards of Canada-------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

Other Braindance----------

Radiohead------

Prokofiev--------------------------------------------------

Bartok------------------------ -------------------------------------

Schoenberg et al.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stravinsky------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messiaen/ Boulez/ Berio etc.----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spectral Music---------------

Beethoven----------------------------------------------------------------

(hope this works)

edit: goddammit I had a proper temporal graph!

Guest ruiagnelo

0 to 10 - the fuck is music?

10 to 12 - i remember enjoying the hell out of some dancing compilations with exotic tunes and pop vocals all over them. total sell out shit

from around 13 i start listening to really ridiculous commercial hip hop, like 50 Cent and his G-Unit, Eminem and D12. i like the beats and i love what i later come to understand is the aesthetic values of hip hop and rap vocals, which really don't exist in such commercial acts

at 14 or 15, don't know exactly, i discover electronic music. 808 State, The Black Dog, Amon Tobim and B12 are my first experiences with synths, samples, breaks and the wonderful world of electronic made music. then comes ambient techno and IDM, with Aphex, BoC and all the superstars.

until my current age - 21 - i explore all the realms of electronic music and i get into jazz.

nowadays i can easily get tired of electronic, jazz, classical or any music at all.

i d rather just hear the birds, the water flowing and the wind making the leaves dance.

i think i am going to make a pause and look at the music scene as an outsider. huge things are happening. skrillex filling stadiums, dubstep becoming the supreme pop music. kinda curious to know where we are going to

two things certain:

first, classical music always had, still has, and i think will always have an intense effect on me. i can't resist to its absolute power. i feel both small and too big. but human.

and two, i hate guitars and rock music. just can't stand that stuff. i like Pink Floyd, but Pink Floyd is in itself a genre and philosophy, so i don't feel guilty.

music for me is all about melody. there is no way i can live without melodies.

and two, i hate guitars and rock music. just can't stand that stuff.

Just curious, what do you hate about rock music? Because with the amount of diverse tones effects/amps/etc can bring, & the vast range of sub-genres, that's really no different than a person saying they hate synthesizers & all electronic music, from the poppiest dancefloor beats to the weirdest ambient drones.

Guest ruiagnelo
and two, i hate guitars and rock music. just can't stand that stuff.

Just curious, what do you hate about rock music? Because with the amount of diverse tones effects/amps/etc can bring, & the vast range of sub-genres, that's really no different than a person saying they hate synthesizers & all electronic music, from the poppiest dancefloor beats to the weirdest ambient drones.

of course it can get pretty subjective to talk about rock music in general terms and without mentioning acts. i have been exposed to rock music pretty much ever since i was born. my uncle, the greatest musical influence on me - who thought me what music is, and is currently organizing the greatest techno events in my city, really loved rock music and showed me a lot of bands, just as my friends and my dad. i just never got into it. the combination of drums, guitars and verse-chorus-verse vocals. i have always found it too immediate, too simple. I know it sounds ridiculous and poorly grounded the way i put it, but rock doesn't do anything for me, doesn't grab me, doesn't make me feel passionate about it

edit: it's simply not enough for my demanding taste

i d rather just hear the birds, the water flowing and the wind making the leaves dance.

music for me is all about melody. there is no way i can live without melodies.

Same and same, although PHAT BEATS are important to me as of late. Combining the two is always a beautiful thing.

I'm very tired of highway noise getting in the way of nature ambience. I really want to travel to some remote location.

Archived