IGNORED

WikiLeaks is at it again!

goDel

is there anymore doubt that the type of surveillance done on free thinkers during the McCarthy era (an era we claim we have moved on from) is at an all-time high in 2012?

with the power of the internet and new surveillance technologies as well as the ability for the US government to 'farm out' intelligence gathering to companies, it all seems pretty dire. No wonder people are so apathetic about privacy.

There is even a portion of this where the this company offers Coca-Cola access to a classified FBI file on PETA members living in Canada. Fucking hell!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I'm afraid the newspapers are not going to care as well. They're supposed to do all the hard work of sifting through that "buttload". If they don't, probably nobody with some kind of authority will.

the beautiful thing about these databases, is that no one with 'authority' has to be the one to find something juicy. IF it's juicy enough it will catch fire regardless of who finds it, whether it's one of these 20 newspapers given the leaks in advance (i still dont respect Wikileaks for this approach even though its probably better from a PR approach) or one lone guy, even if that guy is a crazy loon. If it's true it can be easily confirmed.

i recommend everybody who's only read about this 2nd hand to watch the 1 hour press conference with Julian Assange, a reporter from Lebanon, the Yes-men and a couple of other people. Some really interesting things covered here.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/20736311

also one weird thing so far found in these emails, that the Imam of the 'ground zero mosque' is actually an FBI asset, or at least Stratfor says he's an FBI asset. IT's not clear if he's just an informant or what, but i find it funny nonetheless. *eagerly puts on tin-foil* was that whole controversy to begin with some kind of black op?

is there anymore doubt that the type of surveillance done on free thinkers during the McCarthy era (an era we claim we have moved on from) is at an all-time high in 2012?

with the power of the internet and new surveillance technologies as well as the ability for the US government to 'farm out' intelligence gathering to companies, it all seems pretty dire. No wonder people are so apathetic about privacy.

There is even a portion of this where the this company offers Coca-Cola access to a classified FBI file on PETA members living in Canada. Fucking hell!

mccarthy era and internet era are just well documented so to say, i doubt that intelligence work was less vigorous in the cold war.

mentioning the evils internet regarding privacy is a bit ironic in this case though..

also, i wonder if we'll see stratfor using data from previous wikileaks for its purposes in the forthcoming email convos, that would be really fun to discover !

Guest Margatroid

Honestly, I'm afraid the newspapers are not going to care as well. They're supposed to do all the hard work of sifting through that "buttload". If they don't, probably nobody with some kind of authority will.

the beautiful thing about these databases, is that no one with 'authority' has to be the one to find something juicy. IF it's juicy enough it will catch fire regardless of who finds it, whether it's one of these 20 newspapers given the leaks in advance (i still dont respect Wikileaks for this approach even though its probably better from a PR approach) or one lone guy, even if that guy is a crazy loon. If it's true it can be easily confirmed.

Wikileaks is great because they remind us all how psychotic the people who struggle to control the world generally are. That "glossary of terms" at the top of the page alone shows you what the mentality of people involved in intelligence work is like, and it isn't pretty.

The sad thing is that the American government and TV media have been relatively successful in suppressing discussion of wikileaks here. When that last big leak happened a lot of people acted like discussing the information publicly was some kind of treasonous act, and there was a definite air of paranoia surrounding all of it. The truth has a way of getting out, though.

Guest Glass Plate

I feel like I a need a David Foster Wallace level perscription of Adderall to really care or pay attention to any wiki leaks.

The only thing stratfor was good at was milking their clients for a lot of money. All they really were was intelligence analysts - that is to say, they looked up reports in foreign policy, cfr, the economist and then made judgements based on that.

They even admit they have no real power - look at the last lines of their description of the FBI - "Fun to jerk with. Not fun when they jerk back."

Their definition of a "briefer says it all": He has the ability to rapidly assimilate complex material, deliver routine news as if it were reports of the second coming, and generate a re-task from the customer, guaranteeing larger contracts.

Robbie - can you provide a link to the coca-cola bit? I don't want to scan 5 million emails...

The sad thing is that the American government and TV media have been relatively successful in suppressing discussion of wikileaks here. When that last big leak happened a lot of people acted like discussing the information publicly was some kind of treasonous act, and there was a definite air of paranoia surrounding all of it. The truth has a way of getting out, though.

Seems that in this Orwellian America that we live in today, the bulk of the general populace is spoon fed exactly the information that vested interests (politics, media, banks/commerce, etc) want them to hear, sugar coated and dumbed down with brangelina, modern warfare 3, and newer cooler smartphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Can you believe this dumb fuck Santorum, who thinks that more education for all is a bad idea is actually a viable candidate* for the presidency :blink::cerious:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-27-2012/indecision-2012---how-is-it-that-mitt-romney-hasn-t-crushed-this-guy-already-

(not really, but the fact that he & Gingrich are actually still allowed to speak is frightening)

I think these guys that are in control, want someone stupid in charge, Mr Obama and his martin luther king thing doesnt work anymore and ron paul is on the run, so they must be quick and swifty.

Truth is, most americans wont give a fuck because they aldready feel like they don't have a say in politics, theres nothing they can do as a simple citizen. And that is somewhat true in a sad way.

Also, they probably can't get out of their small bubble and think outide of the box. Those candidates are the best they can get and what they deserve.

Unfortunately the rest of the world will also feel the consequences of another moron being elected in the USA.

Seems that in this Orwellian America that we live in today, the bulk of the general populace is spoon fed exactly the information that vested interests (politics, media, banks/commerce, etc) want them to hear, sugar coated and dumbed down with brangelina, modern warfare 3, and newer cooler smartphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Can you believe this dumb fuck Santorum, who thinks that more education for all is a bad idea is actually a viable candidate* for the presidency :blink::cerious:

http://www.thedailys...is-guy-already-

(not really, but the fact that he & Gingrich are actually still allowed to speak is frightening)

what a juvenile post.

today ? you think the situation before internet was better in that regard ?

the proliferation of internet is a corporate interest too, you shouldn't bunch all of them together into this "they" thing that's so overused. brangelina have appeared in many interesting films and smartphones are one of the most idm things in this century, i'll agree about mf3 though.

american dumbfucks have a right to representation too. what is frightening are the notions of denying someone the right to speak.

i recommend everybody who's only read about this 2nd hand to watch the 1 hour press conference with Julian Assange, a reporter from Lebanon, the Yes-men and a couple of other people. Some really interesting things covered here.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/20736311

is it over? is it about to start? all i see is a bunch of reporters in a room and no sound.

edit: oh it's not live lol

Re: WATCH ITEM- WikiLeaks 'Insurance File'

Email-ID 1628042 Date 2010-12-07 22:32:58 From sean.noonan@stratfor.com To burton@stratfor.com

Yes.=A0 The problem is at least one other person has it too.=A0

On 12/7/10 3:26 PM, Fred Burton wrote:

Founder needs to be water boarded until he gives us th=

e code.

scott stewart wrote:

Remember what I said this morning about blow-back to them if they

release names of innocent people.

[mailto:analysts-bounces@stratfor.com] *On Behalf Of *Sean Noonan

*Sent:* Tuesday, December 07, 2010 3:16 PM

*To:* Analyst List

*Cc:* watchofficer

*Subject:* Re: WATCH ITEM- WikiLeaks 'Insurance File'

Though actually now I'm seeing a lot of rhetoric that the events so

far have not reached the level for Wikileaks to release this file. Was

it a bluff?

LONDON -- Even though its founder is under arrest, WikiLeaks says it

has no plans, for now, to release the code that would reveal some of

its most important documents.

The code is an "insurance

/world/2010/12/07/wikileaks-plans-release-insurance-file/>"

file that WikiLeaks says has been given to some of its supporters in

case of an emergency. It's a key to a heavily encrypted version of the

documents.

A spokesman says it will only be used if "grave matters" take place

involving WikiLeaks staff. But he didn't elaborate on what those might be.

Read more:

http://www.f=

oxnews.com/world/2010/12/07/wikileaks-plans-release-insurance-file/#ixzz17S=

VW0dZn

Assange:

"The Cable Gate archive has been spread, along with significant

material from the US and other countries to over 100,000 people in

encrypted form," he said in the online forum. "If something happens to

us, the key parts will be released automatically. Further, the Cable

Gate archives is in the hands of multiple news organizations.=94

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2010/1207/Will-WikiLeaks-Jul=

ian-Assange-now-arrested-take-the-nuclear-option

On 12/7/10 1:49 PM, Sean Noonan wrote:

Assange was denied bail this morning. They previously threatened to

release the insurance file if their site was shut down or if Assange

was arrested/"persecuted." Now both have happened.

Please watch for them to release it.

--=20

Sean Noonan

Tactical Analyst

Office: +1 512-279-9479

Mobile: +1 512-758-5967

Strategic Forecasting, Inc.

www.=

stratfor.com

what a juvenile post.

today ? you think the situation before internet was better in that regard ?

the proliferation of internet is a corporate interest too, you shouldn't bunch all of them together into this "they" thing that's so overused. brangelina have appeared in many interesting films and smartphones are one of the most idm things in this century, i'll agree about mf3 though.

american dumbfucks have a right to representation too. what is frightening are the notions of denying someone the right to speak.

Get bent you troll, your m.o. in threads like these is well established and I'm not about to indulge you.

The growing anti-intellectualism in the US is a worrying phenomenon. The again, a dumb populace is easier to control by catering to their emotions.

This, especially in the age of soundbites and vanishing attention spans. As a whole it's in a nation's best interest to have a well educated and informed society, yet this is does not align with the interests of those entities controlling wealth and power. When it comes to something like wikileaks I reckon the population breaks down something like

75% (don't give a shit / not bright, shiny or sexy enough)

15% (knee-jerk reaction that whatever it is, it's treasonous, and treason is bad)

5-9% (interested/disturbed enough to notice, but lack the attention span to connect the dots)

Bye Eugene, I hope you enjoy throwing stones from your glass house, tis a shame I won't be able to see any of them!

I9Apk.png

^^ Ironically we choose what information we want to read.

It's just too easy to blame everything on some abstract power that may or may not be there.

I'm sure Warren Buffet wouldn't mind people being more critical. Or isn't he part of the "powerful"?

(It's just a silly myth people)

Guest Wall Bird

Bob,

The manner in which you lump so many facets of western (particularly American) culture into one group and then brand them all as "the" problem is doing a disservice to the point that you are trying to make. Eugene asked you to elaborate on some of your generalizations, and although he did it in a crude and condescending way, there is still something to take away from it. To literally silence what he, or anyone, is trying to tell you is setting yourself up for a long-term disadvantage in how you are able to understand the world.

Guest Franklin

just popped in to say that Awepittance has probably the best avatar I've seen on here. Never really looked at it until tonight when I was all primed with teh secrets etc.

Sorry lads, perhaps I should have enclosed my post in [rant] tags, I don't know. Azatoth put it much more succinctly two posts later with "The growing anti-intellectualism in the US is a worrying phenomenon." Those I mentioned were just some of the first manifestations thereof that sprung to mind.

For someone then to come along and dismiss something as base as the existence of a power structure in this country, assail things I didn't even intimate (something about pre/post internets), and preface it all as being juvenile would pass most duck tests as trolling.

power relations is something i've been studying for the last ~3 years, i would be the last to dismiss the existence of power structures. i was trying to provoke some sort of a more refined overview of the situation, i just can't help but scoff at this primitive "they" thing and consider it plain juvenile.

internet has a huge role in info consumption, you simply can't dismiss it now when talking about "feeding info to populace", especially in usa. i think a more interesting question to ask is why does the populace chooses to eat up "their" propaganda (if it's an accurate argument at all) when there are real and accessible alternatives.

Archived